Chapter 32

"Lindsey is taking my shift at work today, so don't expect me to come in," Kristy says the next morning over the phone. 

"Why what happened?" I ask, genuinely disturbed. The entire time that I've been in Miami, Kristy has never called in from work. That's just so... unheard of for her. 

"Well I got into a little accident last night, sprained my arm," she explains. 

"Oh no! What did you do?!" 

"I was just trying on heels, trip, bam hit my arm on the wall. Sure did hurt, but luckily it isn't worse than that. I'll be back to working in a few days." 

"Aw, well after work I'll come by to cheer you up." 

"Thanks Lexi," she says, & I can hear the genuine smile in her voice. "I'll let you get ready for work. See ya." 

"Later," I hang up. Looking in the mirror, I finish up with my makeup then grab my stuff for the day.

Without Kristy, the whole work day seem to drag on. Don't get me wrong, the other few waitresses are nice & all, but none as fun as Kristy. 

So when I park in the parking lot to her apartment complex, I'm excited to spend some time with my bestie. Knocking on the door, I wait a few moments before trying again. The door opens & to my surprise, it's her boyfriend Jason who answers. This is actually only the second time I've seen him, the first that time at the restaurant a few weeks ago when Kristy wanted nothing to do with him. Today, he has no 5'o clock shadow, although his hair has grown some. 

"Hey, the cute waitress," he smirks. Umm... 

"Uh, I'm here to see Kristy.." 

"Right. Come on in," he says as he opens the door wider for me to walk in. I slide past him, trying to ignore the feeling of his eyes on me.  

"Thanks," I say shyly, taking in the living room we're standing in. I've been here a couple of times, & it still amazes me how.. tidy.. it is. It's like how it would be if you moved in a place, but weren't going to be there long so you only pull out what you need, like things in the kitchen or even the tv. "Kristy?" I call out as I look for any sign of her. 

"She's washing up," Jason says from behind. 

"Ah, ok." I walk over & plop down on the couch, hoping he doesn't plan on sitting by me. He seems nice enough, but he's still new to me, & I can be pretty awkward with new people. Much to my agonizing dismay, he does, & a bit too close for my liking. 

"So, how long have you been a waitress?" He asks. 

"About 3 years now." 

"Ah, well tell me," he leans closer to my ear. "Do you take special orders?" I inch myself farther away til I'm pushing myself into the arm rest. He laughs, shaking his head. "You're fun to tease." Instantly, I feel my guard going back down. So, he was only teasing? Before I can retort, I hear a door close. Looking over to the bathroom, I see Kristy walk out in some sweat pants & a tee shirt that goes to her forearms. On her right arm, there is a white cast. She runs her good hand through her wet hair, looking irritated about something. Upon seeing me, it lessens. 

"Do you even realize how hard it is to keep this thing dry?" I let out a chuckle, while Jason snorts besides me. 

"How was work?" She asks, walking towards us. 

"Oh my gosh, it sucked without you. You need to not hurt yourself anymore." 

"Oh, I know. I'm such a klutz," she laughs, although for some reason it sounds a bit forced. 

"What did you say you did again?" I ask, forgetting what she told me this morning. 

"Oh, uh, I just tripped," she explains. "& my arm hit the wall. Hurt like a doozy but I'll live." 

"Ah, right. The heels." She nods once more, a shy smile on her face, probably in embarrassment. 

"I would love to stay for some girl talk," Jason says as he stands up, stretching his arms. "But I have to go meet some friends. See ya later?" He moves over to Kristy, pecking her on the lips. 

"Yeah, see ya then." She smiles at him. Without looking back he leaves. 

"Now, tell me what's new with Hunter," she demands as she sits down beside me. 

"Well, it all started when apparently Dillon decided to break into my apartment late last night." She nods, & I note that she doesn't look the least bit surprised. "You knew?!" I openly accuse. A shy smile grows on her face as she shrugs, not bothering to deny it. "Whatever. So yeah, he got me to call him, & it turns out Hunter was only going to kiss her cheek." Her eyes widen in shock, but she smiles. 

"& she turned the tables?" I nod to her question. "Well, I'm glad things are good between you guys again." 

"Me too. I can't wait til his concert in Miami." 

For a few hours we just hang out together, eating junk food & watching movies. 

Now I'm in the car, on my way back to the apartment building. I let out a content sigh, glad that it seems that all the major drama is done & out of the way. 

Parking in the small parking lot next to the building, I smile as I recall when my car got here from Lousiana. This blue 1966 Chevrolet Impala Hardtop is my baby, although nothing beats walking. 

As I start to walk towards the building, a gust of wind blows at me, sending chills down my back. 

My eyes widen as a hand covers my mouth from behind me. Looking down at it, all I can say is that they're wearing a black glove & a black jacket. I scream, but it's muffled by his hand, & it only makes him press me against his chest harder along with his hand on my mouth. A figure appears before us, & before I can even get hope on being rescued, I realize it's a friend of the guy. He's in all black clothing, with the hood of his jacket covering his head so I can't see the face. 

My already racing heart triples when I see the bandanas in his also gloved hand. 

"Make a single sound & you're dead," the guy holding me captive whispers in my ear, making the hairs on my neck stand. 

Next thing I know, my mouth has a bandana tied around so I can't scream, & another one is used to blindfold me. Swell. Suddenly, I feel myself being lifted into the air, involuntarily letting a squeal out into the bandana. With that, I guess my punishment is a slap to the butt, & I have to fight to not start yelling when I hear a snicker. 

Just when I thought life was getting good again, I get kidnapped by a couple of perverts.

*Who here loves Colton Dixon? His album just came out, & it is AMAZING. Do yourself a favor & get it ;)*