Chapter 14: The Time Before

Two days went by in the blink of an eye. Sophie felt like she was floating in a very heavy cloud because of the excitement that everyone was facing. The fitting for her dress happened once more but she couldn't look at the dress for some reason. She was thinking about walking down the aisle wearing that and imagining Caspian's face....it was overwhelming.

Is that what cold feet was?

There was no way I had cold feet right? I was only worried about tripping and falling on my face. Yeah, that was it. I loved Caspian more than anything in the world....more than myself really. I didn't want to imagine anything negative ever happening to us. I couldn't bear that thought.

Sophie scolded herself. Why was she thinking in such a way? Nothing would come between them. She wouldn't let it. It didn't matter what happened to her because she would protect Caspian till the end. He was her heart and soul.

Right?

Right.

Sophie walked down the staircases of the Telmarine castle for the last time, because from the next afternoon, she would have a new home with Caspian. They would make a new home. Together.

Whenever she thought about the whole leaving-the-home to live with your husband and his family, it was something that she never understood. She always wanted to be an independent woman who would adopt three kids of different ethnicities. She didn't know why she wanted three children, but she just did - two girls and one boy, with God's graces.

But now she was getting ahead of herself.

Caspian and Sophie had their last meal together as separate souls. There was a certain tradition that she followed where if two people got married, they would be together for the next seven lives. It was an Indian tradition that she had picked up from the same family who gifted me my kalamkari skirt. When she told Caspian that one day, he told her that his people had a similar tradition where they believed that marriage united the two souls for the rest of eternity. It was believed that the two souls would become stars at the end of their journey and that they would be together even in the afterlife.

Sophie liked to believe both of these. Glenstorm was going to perform one ceremony that would follow his traditions and one that would honour hers. The two of them would be walking around a holy pire seven times that would join their fates together.

Caspian and Sophie's paths had always been linked together since the very beginning, but this would seal it completely.

The Professor and Trumpkin were present in the dining room and were basically doing their job of keeping the two of them apart. They didn't even let them talk to each other for some reason. And so, Caspian and Sophie only smiled at each other and gave each other a supportive nod.

She walked to her room and dismissed the guard that accompanied her. She locked the door behind her for some reason and fell on the bed. She held her hair with her hands and brushed through it. She stared at the ceiling with her hands holding her head and saw the flickering lights of the candles in the room. She had to blow them out before she fell asleep.

Right as she was about to gather the strength to get up, there was a knock. She lifted her head and looked at the door, but the sound had come from her left. She frowned. "What the lamb?" Another knock. Her eyes widened. She looked at her cupboard and considered arming herself with weapons. But if there was someone dangerous waiting on the other side, they wouldn't knock, now would they? Or she was going crazy.

Sophie took an empty candlestick from the bedside table and walked towards the window. She pulled it open with all intentions to attack the intruder. But seeing who it was, she had a mini heart attack right there. "You!"

"Hi, love."

"Capsian, what are you doing here!"

She pulled him in by the arm because he was sitting at the edge of the ledge of the window. She pulled him into the room and closed the window. But before that, she checked whether anyone was patrolling the perimeter. She shut the doors and started to walk towards Caspian, who was sitting at the edge of her bed. "What were you thinking? People will think that you are a thief!"

He cocked his head at her. "And what will my punishment be, my Queen?" He took both her hands and kissed her knuckles.

"You could have knocked on my door." She said, sitting next to him. "Why did you risk your life? Something could have happened." She touched the wooden table and said 'no'. Touch wood was important.

"I was shoved into my room. I didn't see any other way but to climb from the tower below."

Sophie chuckled. "Hmm. I see."

Caspian pushed back a baby hair that was falling over her eyes. "Second thoughts?"

She smiled, wrapping her hands around his waist and hugging him. "Not at all. You?"

He clicked his tongue. "Not at all. Why would I ever have second thoughts?" His lips brushed the top of her head and Sophie melted once again.

"You'll be leaving early in the morning, won't you?"

He was caressing her arm like he usually did when they needed each other's support. "Yes. I'll be waiting at the end of the aisle."

Sophie looked up at him and smiled. "And I'll be the one in white."

Caspian was going to go to Cair Paravel and get ready. The original plan was for the two of them to spend the night in different castles but they were against it. They couldn't separate them that much.

Caspian stole one more kiss from her, his hands cupping her face. They rested their foreheads against each other and he sighed. "I'll see you soon, my Queen."

He stood up and started to make his way towards the door. Sophie opened it for him and kissed him once more. "Thank you, Caspian." He looked confused at her thanking him all of a sudden but kissed her forehead really quickly. "I'll see you tomorrow."

Because the next day, they were going to be bonded for life....and they couldn't wait for that moment.