Chapter 4: Dance of the Folk

The evening was one of bliss. The lost rulers had returned, bringing a happiness to their king that everyone had been hoping to see in the weeks that had passed by since the Third Battle of Beruna. Only hopes and prayers could be made for this to not change.

Caspian and Sophie met each other at the top deck, careful to not meet anyone's eyes to create suspicion of them sneaking out now that they were in a closed chambers of the Dawn Treader. There were a lot of things to be said and a lot of things to be heard.

"Hey," Sophie said, entering the empty room where barrels of drinkable water was being stored.

Caspian turned around and hugged her once again that day, holding her close to him longer than he usually did to make sure that she wouldn't fade away. He couldn't believe that she was back, although this was the best feeling - being with her. 

He sighed as he let her go. "How are you?"

"I'm great. Now." They sat down leaning against a wooden board while facing each other. "How are you?"

"Same answer."

Sophie smiled. "Caspian, I am very sorry-"

"Don't you dare apologise."

"But I have to! I left the castle. I betrayed your trust! I betrayed everyone! I didn't know what I was doing and you were right! I wanted to face Jadis. I wanted her to know what she did to me. I did think about the consequences but I made a hasty decision."

"You did no such thing. I understand why you went to face Jadis. All of us do." He held her hands as she looked at the floor. "You are free to make your own decisions, Sophie. I never want to hold you back from that. Ever."

"I don't deserve you."

"Sophie? Will you promise me something?"

She looked up at his deep eyes. Oh, how she had missed them! "Anything."

"Never say that again. The last time you said it.....you know what happened." 

Sophie zipped her mouth. "I promise."

He kissed her forehead and lingered for a few seconds as both closed their eyes in the ache that they were feeling that was slowly going away. "Thank you."

"How is everyone?" Sophie asked after a moment of silence. "Nina, Rumira, Sahil, Evelyn, Alexandre, Mr. Zahair.....Oh! Cassie and Thomas!"

Caspian laughed. "All are well. Thomas answers to me as well now, which is probably because of Cassie because they have become even better friends now." A sigh escaped him. "I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw you today. I worried that being on uncharted waters for so long was starting to do something to me like the tales usually say."

"I'm alive. I'm here and I'm never leaving."

"I hope you don't," he said, rubbing circles with his thumb on her arm.

Sophie rested her head against his shoulder and told him what happened the night that she left to face Jadis. She told him about how Jadis had taunted her and tried to kill her. She also told him about the secret passageway. "Secret passage?" He interrupted her for the first time.

"Yes, behind a boulder. The one on the Table's right side." And then, she continued the story. "It started raining and I was brought back to life."

Caspian was disturbed by the fact that she had almost died that day. What would have happened if rain hadn't come and he hadn't found her? He would have never figured out that there was a secret passageway and....he didn't want to think about that possibility. "It was a good thing that Thomas came to me at the field and brought me to you."