Chapter 7: A Witchly Detour

A few days passed by and in this time, there was one particular concern that was pointed out by Drinian - food. The supply of food that the ship had started with was getting low since nobody had been expecting four more members to join during the journey. The food they had bought in the Lone Islands was getting over and there would be a situation where they would have to break into the emergency reserved. 

"We need to find vegetation soon." 

"And we will." Caspian was optimistic, which was one of the things that Sophie admired about him, but he was scared. He had taken on his first journey and there were going to be so many changes than what he had started with, but as someone wise had said once, "A strong person is who is the only one who knows about their fears."

"Do we know where our next stop is?" Edmund asked the captain. But just as he spoke, there was a loud force that made us all lose balance and fall down. 

"What?" Sophie whispered as the ship stopped moving, which was technically improbable. Edmund helped his sister get up while Sophie took the help of the table in the Royal State Room once again. 

"Did the ship just stop?" Lucy asked, being the first one to talk since the impact.

"This shouldn't be possible," Drinian breathed out as he rushed out of the door. 

Caspian was the first out of the room and onto the main deck. Just as he lifted the wooden hatch, a green smoke blinded everyone's eyes, making them cough. "Don't inhale it!" Sophie shouted immediately as she closed her mouth with her hand.

The five of them got out of the hatch even if they couldn't see anything. The entire deck was covered with the Green Mist that had been following them since they left the Lone Islands. It had not made its presence known until now. Lucy looked at Sophie and held onto her hand to remind her that she was standing right next to her.

That gave Sophie an idea. The Mist had a way of making you feel vulnerable and alone. Great tactics, but we are smarter, she thought. "Hold onto each other! I'll take care of this."

Caspian turned his head to search for her silhouette among the mist. "What are you going to do?"

"Trust me." She winked, making him smile because that was their phrase.

Sophie put her hand out as she walked towards the starboard side of the ship, trying to rely on her hearing senses. Once her hand touched the brim of the ship, she looked down at the surface of the ocean. The salt content in the air increased as she felt the surge through her veins. Water, it was such a blessing.

With prayers in her head, she jumped. 

Splashing into the water, the cool water spread through her mind but as usual, the water didn't soak her. She wondered how that actually worked and realised that that wasn't the best time to start wondering about her powers. "Focus, Adams." She looked up at the ship and saw that the mist was moving across the ship. "Please let this work." She put her hands together and blasted a current of water away from the ship for a trial run.

A voice called out in return, which made her yelp in silence. She hadn't realised that she had company under the ocean. "We come in peace!" Her current had hit two people and her eyes widened as she saw who it was.

"S-sorry! I didn't mean to-"

"You were trying to get to the mist, weren't you?" The person in-charge, who was riding the huge seahorse asked her.

"Yes, can you guide me through it?"

"Do you know how to ride the waves?"

"Ride the what?"