Chapter 8: Subtle Betrayals

It was a miracle that Sophie and Trumpkin escaped the White Witch's camp in one piece without being seen. Well, two pieces. 

A million questions ran inside their mind, faster than cheetahs when they come across their prey in a wild open field. They reached the place where their horses stood waiting for them, their chests heaving with the shock that they had just witnessed. 

They had to send the red warnings.

The two ran towards the library where they would lay down all the facts to the trusted Triumvirate. The designated guests were talking in groups in the hallways and chambers as the two entered the castle, eyeing Sophie curiously as she kept her gaze straight. 

"Your Majesty-" Reepicheep started walking with them.

"We need you."

"That is awfully polite of you, Trumpkin, but-"

"Get Glenstorm and everyone."

"But-"

"Just do it!"

The entire way to the library was one of fear in their hearts. Evelyn had informed the two soldiers that the king and the Doctor were present there after the ceremony was disrupted, but Sophie had no choice but to concentrate on the bigger deal at hand.

"Sophie?" Caspian's voice came out from the end of the room as they entered.

"We need to evacuate the kingdom and get our troops ready. Now. There is absolutely no time to waste," said Trumpkin.

"The White Witch is back." He and Sophie said at the same time.

Caspian looked confused, his eyebrows knitting together. What they were saying was impossible....and definitely improbable. The White Witch was defeated by Aslan during the Golden Age. Caspian had the icy whispers from his time with the hag and the werewolf enter his mind immediately but Peter had made him promise that he wouldn't let that change who he really was.

"Glenstorm told me that the constellations indicated a war," started Sophie. "I thought it was between Narnians but it is against her." Just saying those words, she realised what her dreams had meant. Her eyes widened. "That's what the hag said. The nightmare yesterday." 

The whole truth dawned on her as everything started to make sense. The hag had talked about bringing someone back. Of course it was Jadis!

Trumpkin and Caspian looked at each other, having witnessed the Witch's supposed return before. "Hags have always supported the Witch," said the Professor, not wanting to dismiss what they were saying. "What happened in your dream could mean a lot of things but if they indicate what you say it is, we need to talk to the woman."

She was the same woman Sophie had seen in her dream. That's why she had looked so familiar! It was as if the answer was at the tip of her tongue but there was a screen blocking her thoughts somehow, which wasn't hard to believe as Sophie had a bruise mark on her back from the invisible presence trying to kill her. 

The hag went to the house with one intention in her mind - to bring her back. The hag had been scared to speak Jadis' name or even refer to her as the Witch.

Sophie entered the room where the woman stayed and stood before her. "What happened last night? Spare no details."

The woman looked up at the Queen, unsure whether she should fall to the ground and kneel. But the woman named Nina, who had given her food to eat and water to drink, had mentioned that the princess wasn't very religious. Besides, she had asked to know something important. "There was a hag that came to us. It was the middle of the night."