Chapter 14: Time For Callbacks

Thomas and Sophie could reach Beruna even if they were blind folded. The pathway seemed to have been lighted for them, perhaps because they had been there so many times; it felt like a habit taking that path. 

It was the place that had brought her to Narnia and it was also the place where she first saw Aslan. This would be the place that could give her the answers that she would need.

Thomas knew something was going on; that something was wrong. He could feel that something was running inside Sophie's head. The prophecy did talk about "Strawberry's line's cognize" but it was more than that. Something about the horse had drawn her to him since the first day they met and it wasn't just the prophecy. They were connected in a way that nobody could explain, not even the prophecy itself.

The two reached the bridge. Sophie patted him on the back as he rested his legs and then, she walked towards the bridge. The wooden surface was cold in her hand. There needed to be a familiarity with the wood in her hand and the texture of the rope used to tie it together. What would she do if she faced her? Was she making a mistake? She couldn't be. She was trusting her instincts. She needed to know what happened in the past; answers that only she could give. Whatever said and done, Jadis knew who Sophie was, who her parents were even if she was the one who slayed them down.

Sophie had to get her thoughts together before she marched into Aslan's How. She was betraying the trust of everyone she loved. She had told them that they would attack the How together in the morning but she had left without a word, not being able to say goodbye to them. She just couldn't. They wouldn't have let her go and if she was being honest, she couldn't have left them.

She needed to talk to the White Witch face to face. Jadis wanted Sophie, right? She was going to get her because Sophie was coming for her.

But at what cost?

The sky was getting brighter and brighter as she was lost in her thoughts. She stood at the edge of the river and looked at the bridge. What had Aslan told her?

"Why didn't anybody hear you back at the castle?"

"Nobody was looking for me, young one."

But of course, that was a dream. Standing at the bridge with her arms across her chest, she started looking for Aslan. She only wanted one glimpse of Him. She just wanted to hear His voice again.

Was it a dream though? Because it felt as real as Thomas and the apples that he was eating. She sat down at the edge of the bridge, her elbows resting on top of her thighs and her head resting on her closed fists as she recollected the dream.

"Look at the river. What do you see?"

Sophie looked at the river on her left as His words echoed through her brain. The waves were crashing against the bridge. The bridge was breaking its flow.

"I see a calm river that has a bridge built on it."

"And what is the purpose of the bridge?"

"To help people move across."

"Life works in a similar way, Sophie. Life is like this calm river. When we make decisions, we create ripples. The bridge represents the connection between people."

Life was a calm river - agreed. Decisions created ripples. If the hag had never found anyone to bring the Witch back, Sophie's life wouldn't have the ripples that it did now.

"You think too little of yourself, Sophie. You are not a nobody. Definitely not in Narnia."

Old habits die hard. He had told her that she was the Lost Legacy without having to speak the exact words. But what was the deal behind the metaphor of the bridge?