Chapter 15: Murderous Rage

The White Witch had stabbed Sophie Adams.

A deadly look passed evil's face as she succeeded in destroying Frank and Helen's bloodline in one go. The hero fell to their knees, clutching their stomach while something danced in front of their eyes, mocking the fight that was being put up - death. 

Jadis pulled the staff out with such a force that blood was spilled on the ground in crimson droplets against the pale brown sand ground. Glenstorm's words echoed in Sophie's ears - No blood should be spilled in a holy ground such as the How's.

Sophie looked up at her murderer directly in the eyes, withering away from the tall prey in the laugh that echoed through the walls. "When I heard of the Forbidden Prophecy having taken place, I didn't believe anyone. It was a myth. A curse. Sensing your presence was enough to make me want to intervene."

"You tried to kill me that night." Sophie managed to spit out.

"Smart girl." Jadis had expected her to forget about the night she had tried to push her off of the tower, controlling the fabric of her very dreams. "It is a surprise that you were able to see the dream. But I guess that weak minds," she crouched down in front of Sophie and brushed the hair out of her eyes, a gesture so motherly that it could have easily been mistaken for a gesture of kindness. "are easier to control."

Sophie stumbled out of her grasp, wanting something to support her back. 

"I remember your parents," Jadis continued. "They were a lovely couple. But they were always so against me." Sophie whimpered as she reached one of the edges of the Stone Table, wanting to see Aslan last if anything was to happen to her. But she couldn't die. Not then. "I decided to end their reign." 

Sophie scoffed. 

"I admired their courage though. They were ready to go to a large extent to protect themselves." Sophie rested her head against the Table as she looked at the icy wall in front of her, knowing that Aslan was behind. "But I couldn't believe how they were able to manipulate-" 

"You manipulate people." 

Jadis laughed a musical laugh. "I feel bad for you right now." 

The Witch held a knife in her hand, ready to complete what she had started. Admiration filled her as she remembered the very origin of the knife that she held which had an emerald stone, reminding her of its true owner. 

During this time, Sophie remembered something, something that connected her dream, and if you remember, the How itself.

When Sophie had first entered the How, she had sensed air coming from inside. The hag mentioned something about an escape during the dream. How could there be air in the deepest chamber of the How?

Sophie found her answer as her hand found a loose rock on the Table as she tried to pull herself up. This was something that she could connected to the hag in the dream. This was the answer.

Only one way to find out the truth.

She pressed the rock and a loud whirring filled the entire room, only because there was a pin-drop silence. You couldn't have heard it unless you were looking for it. Sophie pulled her dagger out, which she had hidden in the side of her boots, and swung it across the Witch's face. Jadis was able to defend herself but fell down doing so. 

Sophie pulled herself up with all her might and walked to the secret passageway that she had opened. There was a lever inside, which she pulled to close the door before Jadis could get to her. She had to escape. She had to. Holding onto the stones on the wall for support, she made her way up the stairs, gripping her stomach tightly. She looked at her other hand and found it covered in blood - her blood. She could smell the iron in the air and could even taste it as she tried breathing through her mouth.