Chapter 16: Doomsday Reigns

"What....happened to my parents?"

A parent's gentle embrace. Their kind words to help get through any tough situation. To have someone to say that no matter what happens, someone is there for you - this was Sophie Adams' almost ending.

Sophie had to know the truth and Jadis had no choice but to answer then. "Your parents were killed by the catapults I rained on their little castle." Sophie narrowed the gap between the two swords so that it constricted Jadis' neck. "When we went through the rumble, we didn't find their bodies. They had escaped," she said. "How can you control water?"

"I am the one who asks the questions here. You have the blood of millions on your hand. I don't think you have the right to speak here blondie."

Jadis laughed. "And would you have the blood of one on your hand?"

She was taunting her. Sophie knew that. 

"Did you kill them?"

"Of course I did, silly girl," laughed Jadis, her voice pricking Sophie's ears. "Your parents were nothing but imbeciles."

"Don't."

The ground started rumbling as if sensing Sophie's growing anger. The stone they were standing on would fall down at any moment. The Professor was right. The structure of Aslan's How was unstable after the Second Battle of Beruna. Sophie should have listened to him. But what could she have done? She was the King of Stubbornness.

At that time, she became distracted and Jadis decided to attack her, but Sophie wasn't going to lose twice. She struck both swords and pierced them right through Jadis. "For my parents," she whispered in the White Witch's year.

Jadis' eyes were wide open as the loss overcame her. The stone was threatening to break anytime. "Don't." She begged but the stone broke and that was the end of the White Witch's reign.

Sophie stood up with trembling legs, unaware of how to get out of this situation when she heard someone shout for her. "Sophie!"

"Caspian!"

She held onto the ground of the valley and was about to climb up when the stone fell and took her with it, but she was quick in holding onto a lower branch. She looked down and saw that there was a small pool of water there. Where had that come from? It certainly was not because of the rain. It was a small pond-like water body.

"Caspian!" She was trying not to look down. Fear of heights? Check. She looked up and saw the dark eyes of her loved one. "Caspian...."

"Take my hand." He leaned down.

The branch was strong but she couldn't push herself up. She tried giving him her hand but just as their fingertips had touched, she slipped. "I can't."

Caspian gave her his hand once again and she caught it that time. The branch broke and fell down but she was hanging mid air. "I've got you."

Her hands were dry and his were sweaty because of the fight and she could feel herself slipping. "Caspian," she breathed out. "Please don't let me fall." She tried pulling herself up but she had no support to hold onto.

"Never." He couldn't pull her up because he was leaning halfway out of the ground of the valley. Both of them knew the inevitable. If he continued to hold onto her, both of them would fall. "Hold on, Sophie," he warned as he read her eyes.

But Sophie's hands were slipping from his. He looked her in the eye and she could see his tears. She was tearing up as well.

And then, she finally said it. "I love you."