Chapter 12: Rewriting Fate

A storm took over the course of the ship as it neared the Dark Island, ready to face whatever held for it the next day. But for one particular crew member, what held for them in the next few minutes was going to change her life forever. "I'll have to go out now, Lucy," Sophie said, wearing a tan-coloured shawl around her. "I'll be back soon. Please do not wait up for me. You will need the sleep."

"Now?" She asked in wonder as she got ready for bed.

"Caspian told me that he wanted to talk and he looked really tense back at the island." Sophie nibbled on her lower lip, tense about why he was tense. He wasn't the type to get riled up easily but something was definitely bothering him.

"But both of you better get to sleep soon. I don't want to see you unfocused tomorrow because you are sleepy."

"Aye aye, cap." Sophie gave her a salute before closing the door as she headed for her spot. "Caspian?" She whispered as she entered the deck.

"Sophie." He stood up in a hurry, having been staring at the ground before she had called out his name. He had been reliving what had happened on Ramandu's Island, and he was going through what he wanted to say to Sophie once she came, but seeing her standing before him, he lost all thoughts. She was the most important person in his life and it was time for him to start caring for her more. "Thank you for coming, I...."

"Caspian, you're scaring me." She walked towards him. "What is it?"

"I think that it will be better if we sit down."

"Are you okay?" Sophie asked him as they sat on a short cardboard bench.

"I'm fine." He gave a shaky laugh and then looked at the floor. "Sophie, I need to confess something." Caspian was a lot taller than Sophie but he looked very small that night. His shoulders were dropped and his hair was falling over his eyes. "I believe that you overhead me telling Lilliandil that she was the most beautiful today and I needed to tell you that.....I have to tell you that-"

"Is that why you have been so worried about?" She scoffed. "I cannot believe that you took that one sentence into your head and got worried about it! You were away from me the entire night and you didn't even eat properly and-"

"Sophie." He placed some loose hair behind her ear.

"Caspian, don't worry about that." She held his hands in hers. "I know that you would never do anything to hurt me. I trust you more than anyone, more than myself. And believe me, I don't trust myself. Like....at all!"

"But I shouldn't have said that in the first place. I-I don't know why I feel like I have betrayed you or.....or that I have taken your love for granted and-"

"Hey." She placed her hand on his cheek. "I trust you."

He took her hand and kissed her palm. "Can you forgive me?"

"There is nothing to forgive you for. Besides, she really was beautiful." Sophie smiled. "I don't blame you at all. Even I would have fallen for her, but hey, I have a tall tree sitting right in front of me who makes everyone else seem incapable."

Caspian laughed for the first time that night. "Thank you. Truly."

Sophie smiled as she saw the colour returning to his face. "I really cannot believe that you were worried about such a small thing and you had me worried all night as well! And Lucy asked us to go to bed early. I think she has caught on to us."

"Well, we better listen to her. I really don't want to face her angry side."

"It is not pretty," she told him, remembering the only time that she had seen the youngest Pevensie get angry. "And, for your information, I not only trust you with the truth. I trust you with my life."