Chapter 2: Knifely Introductions

It was the end. Sophie knew it.

The person's grip increased their grip on the knife, threatening to pierce through skin at any moment. Looking frantically on either side proved to avail nothing. 

What babbling bumbling band of baboons had she walked into? She only wanted to wash her hands! And why had her hand healed? Was she secretly a daughter of Poseidon? She couldn't believe that she was believing for the Olympians to be real. It was all because of Rick Riordan! 

Normalise blaming authors, she thought. Uncle Rick, what have you done?

The duffel bag that was calling to her was out of hand's reach, or more specifically, the dagger that she kept for safety was out of reach. She had needed it in the past and she would definitely need it again, but being in a headlock would not help if she wasn't smart.

"I said, who are you and what are you doing here?" The person had a deep and rough voice, and his intention was to scare, not harm her. It was known to both of them but the tension in the air was unmistakable.

Sophie was not used to being held at knifepoint. Her heart beat faster than ever but she tried to tell herself that she was going to be alright. She raised her arms in the air to show that she wasn't armed. She wasn't an enemy, she was just a teenager. "My name is Sophie Adams and I'm from London, England!"

"England?" Another voice broke the tension of the situation, this one chirpier.

The person's grip loosened, letting her free. Sophie gasped in relief, relieved that she wasn't withering on the ground surrounded by her own blood. She turned around immediately to face the threat and her eyes widened at seeing who was standing in front of her.

"Not to be rude but y-you're a dwarf!"

The red-headed dwarf scoffed. "Good news your eyesight is working. I was afraid that you were going to faint on me for a second there."

"Trumpkin, she's a Daughter of Eve from the Other World," the other voice spoke. "It's nice enough that she knows what you are. Or do you want to experience what happened with that soldier Antoine again?"

Sophie looked around, searching for the new voice, and frowned when she saw no one. The only other company was the auburn-coloured horse at a distance from her, whose rein was tied to the nail on the ground meant for boats to dock at the shore, the sound of waves unmistakable.

"I'm sorry," she started, growing confused by the second. "but where are you?"

Someone cleared their throat, making Sophie look down. Her eyes widened up once again at who she was looking at. Now this was certainly a scenario that her mind was making up and making her see.

"Yes, I am a mouse." 

Reepicheep was tired of hearing the exclaims of him being a talking mouse. It was easier to confirm who he was rather than hearing those exclaims again.

"No....uh," Sophie struggled for words. She was looking at a mouse that could talk! "I was gonna say that you are holding a sword." She cleared her throat. "It's small and really cute."

"It's a rapier, but close enough." Reepicheep jumped on top of her, making her fall on her back. He held the rapier to her throat like he had once, many years ago. "Don't call me or my rapier cute."

Sophie nodded frantically. Not two minutes in a new place and I've already been threatened twice, she thought. 

When Reepicheep jumped off of her, she sat on her knees and pinched herself. She was definitely dreaming. Talking mice? She was definitely asleep.