Chapter 8: Towerly Meetings

"What are you doing here? You scared me!" 

Caspian had not expected to see the newcomer there at that time, especially not in a terrified state. Her hands gave support to her forehead, possibly to keep the shock from spreading. "My apologies, but I should be asking you the same question. This is a secret place of mine."

"Oh." Sophie wished she could have turned invisible at that very moment. "I thought....I thought I was the first one here."

"I wouldn't blame you for that. People assume that it is locked. I opened it about a year ago and have kept it a secret. It's the one place where I can be myself."

"It's your spot?" 

He looked confused by the choice of word, not being used to her dialect, but he understood what she had meant. "Yes. You could put it that way."

"I'm so sorry." Sophie moved back a little when she realised that they had been standing very close to each other, hands almost touching each other. "I didn't know that I was intruding. I only wanted some fresh air, that's all. I'll go now."

Sophie started to move towards the door but a hand held her arm, stopping her. She turned around to see Caspian smiling softly at her, something she would have wanted to capture in a picture if she had a camera. "I wouldn't mind the company."

Wow, he looks cute when he smiles, she thought. Wait. Stop it, Sophie. What are you even thinking?

"Are you sure?"

"I am." 

Sophie thought about the choices that she had before her. She could either go back to her room and continue being bored, or she could stay in the tower with company "Okay then." She placed the lamp back down, making sure that the light illuminated enough for both of them to see. 

Caspian stood on the door's right, making her stand towards the left. "You couldn't sleep either?"

"Same as yourself."

The tower had been the one place where Caspian would feel like himself. Living with Miraz and his aunt Prunaprismia was a nightmare that he would never wish upon even on his worst enemies. Constantly looking behind one's shoulder was a never-ending process, and the fear of being killed while he was asleep came true the night his baby cousin was born. He was the only family that Caspian had and even he wasn't there anymore.

Caspian was truly alone.

Although he had taken back the throne that was his birthright and proved that he was going to be the noblest contradiction in history, he was willing to go to any extent to make everyone proud of who he was. He needed the people's love and support because he was unsure that he would get any of that from another person that he could trust.

"If you don't mind my asking, why do you have a secret place?" Sophie noticed his hesitation at her sudden question. "I'm a good listener." 

A sigh escaped Caspian. "Well, people that I consider to be the only family I had left about a year back." He looked down as he spoke. "And when they left, I lost interest in everything around me. I know that I must sound really childish right now...."

"I get it." She had felt the same way with Chad. She so wished that he could have adopted her instead of the stupid rules and regulations getting in the way.

Sophie reached her hand out to comfort him without realising it. Caspian looked at her hands enclosing his and then at her. He really wasn't used to being around people his own age, and certainly not the fairer gender.

She pulled her hand back and cleared her throat. "I'm sorry," she said quickly. "About your parents. I found out that you lost them when you were really young."