Chapter 10: Playing With the Trap

The bird captured in the cage tried to fly out as she always had ever since she was forced to live in an abandoned castle, all alone. "You can't possibly understand me but are you okay? I wish I could help you out but I am of no match to a Witch." Sophie looked around the room for a way to be useful. "We need to....'we' is right."

The robin chirped, singing happily at this possibility of her future that she had never seen coming. The bird spun around her cage and sat on the perch as an obedient servant, looking at Sophie with curious beady eyes. 

"I am glad that I'm not alone. How I wish I had left before when I had a chance." Sophie hung her head down, wondering what Tavros' condition was at the shores of the Island. "Damn it. Tavros."

The robin sang in a key of G, making Sophie sway to the tune, but it wasn't easy singing when the cage still lay on the ground. "I'm going to try to lift the cage, alright?" Sophie moved her hand forward and acting on this action, the pulley made its noise, a mechanical whir, echoing through the entire castle.

Sophie's wrist were starting to bruise by her lifting all the weight, but the bird would have been uncomfortable on the floor if she hadn't. The base of the stand was firm and light-weighted, which helped Sophie lift the cage back up after three tries. "There you go! That seems to be much better."

She looked around the room once again and her eyes came upon a glass-stained window. There were three women in the design - all of them were different from the others - standing in a circle with their hands held in front of the large circle of fire.

"Do you know how I can escape?" 

The bird would definitely have thought that Sophie was crazy to keep talking to her but seemed to understand her. The bird pointed her wing at the window and Sophie knew what she had to do.

The castle was older than it looked from outside and it was definitely not built during the current era. The Enchantress must have definitely known Sophie's parents as the cabinets in the room were of Old Wood, a tree that no longer existed. But it was said to be the protector of Narnia - the tree of life. This was the tree that Sophie knew the first Walkers to have placed in Narnia - Digory Kirke and Polly Plummer. It was what had been poisoned and cut down for Jadis to rule on Narnia. The Witch must have definitely had help from the outside, traitors that had chosen to side with the giant instead of humans. 

There were all sorts of mystical items in the room. Sophie wouldn't have been surprised if she found a totem or a crystal ball because aside from controlling the Mist, she was sure that the Witch knew sorcery. "How I wish I could reach that table! I cannot believe that I am in this situation." She rotated her head to relieve the pain on her neck. "I guess that Tavros will have to use Susan's horn after all."

The minute she spoke Susan's name, the robin fluttered her wings very loudly. She sang very loudly, looking like she was screaming something. Sophie thought she heard a faint voice in the room, which she eventually deduced to be her lack of sleep.

Before she could react, Olivis entered the room, the mist following her in as her very own cape. "You are one sneaky little girl, did you know?"

"How would I know? It's obvious that you're the smarter one since I'm chained." She gave a false flattering smile, lifting her hands in the air.

"How did you enter this castle?" Olivis asked, admiring Sophie's weapons that she had kept on the table in front of her.

"Are you really naive to think that I'll tell you anything?"

"No. But you will," she said as she picked up Sophie's dagger.

"Do not touch that!"

"Emotional much?" Olivis asked, a smirk spread across her face. "How would I not recognise Helen darling's dagger? She used to conquer everything with such a small blade. It was what she would say, you know? Being little didn't matter as long as you could defend yourself."