Chapter 4: The Reason Behind

Sophie and Caspian woke up really early the next morning, earlier than the kitchen staff did. They met each other halfway from their rooms at the staircases and walked down together hand-in-hand. It seemed that their little moments with each other were more important to them than the weight of the world and the responsibilities that they would soon share.

They reached the kitchen before everyone in the castle woke up and adored each other in the silence as sunlight started to take over the room. "Oh, Your Majesty!" Sahil exclaimed, being the first to enter. He stopped just after opening the door, shocked to see the rulers of Narnia waiting there for them and blocked the way for the others.

"Good morning!" Sophie wished him, standing up along with Caspian, not meaning to startle any of them.

"What is the meaning of this?" Nina asked, following Sahil inside to see what the fuss was about. 

"Today, Sophie and I are going to cook lunch for everyone." 

"This is not right, Your Majesty. I cannot possibly let you do our work-" She was the only one who could talk back to Caspian without any fear, considering him her son after all. She was not going to let his position take away the fact that she was his family.

"Please, Nina?" Sophie asked.

"Please?" Caspian asked.

"But, no offense, Your Majesty," started Alexandre. "You don't know where all the ingredients are."

"And we haven't brought in the daily ones from the market," added Evelyn.

Sophie cleared her throat, grabbing everyone's attention. "Has everyone forgotten that I've spent most of my time here? I didn't help out here for you to forget me like this." She sniffed, teasing them. 

Her excitement was beyond any happiness she had felt before. It was the first time that she was going to see Caspian be himself and not what being a royal demanded out of him. He was going to be only Caspian and she was going to be only Sophie, like she had been all this time. 

Everyone was practically pushed out of the kitchen once Nina conceded, leaving the two of them alone. "So what are we making?" Sophie asked, shutting the door completely.

"The only thing that I know to make properly without burning down the kitchen because of how much I love eating it," he said. "Lasagne." 

Sophie loved listening to Caspian's voice. It was one of the things that drove her, but she never told him that. Not yet, anyway, because she didn't want to sound too dorky. 

Caspian prepared the sauce while she prepared the dough. One year in Narnia and she had figured out how to make good dough, all thanks to Evie really. Everyone taught her different things and she was glad to help them out. She never felt left out, until the truth was out.

"Sophie, will you please taste this?" He asked, bringing the ladle to the table she was seated at. He was really serious when it came to cooking. Nina was the one who taught him that the art of cooking never came to everyone but the ones who had them always left it unappreciated. Very few would embrace it and make it a part of their lives.

Sophie found it strange to see Caspian in an apron because she never could have imagined him so normal. She wondered if he would be the same if they had met each other in the Other World. Would he be the same person that he was now? She also wondered how it would have been like if they had grown up in Narnia without the responsibility of being rulers looming over their heads.

It was a nice dream that she would always wish to be true.

Caspian smirked as he handed her the ladle, making her narrow her eyes at him. "What?" She asked, coming out of her thoughts.