Chapter 8: Newborn Legacy

When Nina and the Professor talked about the two ceremonies, they were quite serious about there being two. The days stretched out longer than they did when the topic came to the wedding, which it always did. 

Sophie walked down to Claire's the next day. Now that Lilliandil was at the Telmarine castle, Sophie was confident that things were actually going to happen the way they were supposed to, and they were going to happen in the right way.

Claire pulled out a dress and laid it out for Sophie, which only made her gasp softly. It was her wedding dress! It was not Narnian-style nor was it Other-World-style. It was Sophie's style. She had designed the dress a long time ago when she watched someone wear a similar one on her favourite television show. Claire had replicated it exactly how she imagined it. The dress was the definition of lace and tulle. It was an ivory-coloured A-line dress. As much as Sophie always imagined her dream wedding dress - although she never wanted to get married, but it wouldn't hurt to buy the dress, you know? - to be simple, Claire proved her wrong.

"Well? How is it?"

Sophie forced her gaze from the dress to her blue eyes, most definitely crying. "You've made my dream come true."

The dress was full-handed, but the sleeves were made of soft lace. There was a rustic belt that would hold the top half of the dress from the gown and the train was the perfect length. "I should be saying that, my dear. This is some of my best work!"

"How do I thank you for this? For everything?"

"You already know the answer to that, sweetie." She started to keep the dress back in its place when Sophie reminded myself to breathe. "Keep doing what you feel is right. The rest will all fall into the correct place."

Sophie nodded. "That dress....it is everything."

Claire chuckled. "I only hope to see His Majesty's look when he sees you walk down the aisle. That's the best part of a wedding."

When Sophie walked out of the shop and closed the door, she found her escort guard waiting for her, who grunted at the blush on her cheeks. "It was supposed to take half an hour."

"Wearing a wedding dress is not that simple, Trumpkin."

The two started walking down the street to Mr. William's bakery when her eyes caught the local pub. Trumpkin caught a hold of her thoughts right as she had thought them "Absolutely not," he grumbled, not keen on letting Sophie walk into uncharted territory after the information he had received from the second set of spies. It was bad enough that he was letting her walk about without the guards.

"But you don't even know what I was going to say!"

He looked up at her. "You didn't have to."

"I'm the bride, you know? As a potential Best Man if this was happening in the Other World, you cannot say 'no' to me. A bride can get whatever she wants to be done."

He grunted once again. "That's rubbish! I'm not going to let you risk your life. You've never been to a town pub and you don't seem like the lad who can keep her water down."

Sophie gaped at him. He thought that she couldn't drink! She walked in front of him to stop him from walking and put her hand forward. "Let's see if I hold the drinks down."

He shook his head. "I'm not going to let you get hammered here. Not now."

"Come on! It's supposed to be my wedding!"

He rolled his eyes. She wasn't going to let this go, and if it were up to him, he wouldn't want her to give up easily too. "One drink."

Sophie giddied up and they walked right into the pub that was whistling with life. The bartender was making the drinks while waiters walked around with trays, some empty and some completely stacked with glasses.