Chapter 5: Final Resolutions

Dhruvika leaving the castle left everyone heartbroken. It was hard for her to leave the only home that she could think of having, but what she had learnt from life was to not get attached to anyone or anything. She promised Sophie that she would stay in touch through letters and also that she would take Lady Mirza' help if she needed it.

The day of Caspian's birthday arrived fair too soon, and it was one way of focusing on things other than the past. Sophie wanted to be the first to wish him, and so, she took him to the astronomy tower and wished him exactly at midnight. "Happy birthday, Cas." She turned to him as both of them lay gazing at the stars.

He smiled, but his eyes looked sad. "Thank you, my love." He placed a soft kiss on her lips, not wanting to spend this moment with anyone else.

"Is everything okay?"

He sighed. "It is strange that I am twenty-two years old now. I never thought that I would cross eighteen really." He shook his head. "But that is not what I want to think about now." Caspian wrapped his hands around Sophie and she placed her head on his chest, listening to his heartbeat. "This is where I want to be - in the present, with you."

Sophie smiled faintly. "Well, you cannot escape this present even if you want to."

He started to brush her hair and Sophie had to keep myself from falling asleep. His arms were the best place to be and she didn't want to be anywhere else. "Glad that I don't have to."

In the morning, she accompanied Caspian to the dining room, trying not to look excited or act suspiciously. When they reached the doors to the room, she stopped him from walking, making his eyebrows knit together in confusion about her intentions. "What happened?"

Sophie looked into his eyes and couldn't hold back a smile. She looked at the ground, feeling totally nervous suddenly. What if Caspian didn't like what was waiting on the other side of the doors? He moved closer to her and whispered near her ear, "Have I mentioned before that you look absolutely adorable when you blush?"

Hearing his voice with that accent only made her blush more. She closed her ears to hide their redness that usually followed when she blushed. She looked at him and tilted her head in awe. "I love you."

His eyes melted and he sighed heartily. "I love it when you say that."

"I love it when I say it as well." She never told people that she loved them, but she did show it to them. Caspian changed that for Sophie. She loved him more than life itself. He was the King and she was his Lionheart in a way.

He smirked. "Shall we?" He looked at the double doors.

Sophie took a deep breath and was aware of the black and white woollen bracelet that she was wearing on my left hand. "We shall." The answer to her worry lay ahead. Sophie opened the doors and everyone shouted "Surprise!" at once. Caspian's mouth fell open as he realised what I had done. 

"You didn't...." He turned to face her.

"I most certainly did." Caspian pulled her into a hug but didn't spin her around because they were surrounded by people who were already restricting them from spending time together. 

"Happy birthday, my love." Caspian went numb and emotional, but he was getting a hold of them by hiding his face on her shoulder while they hugged for a few seconds. He kissed her cheek and even though they had been together for a while, she was surprised.

Everyone that the two of them cared about was present in the room, wishing Caspian one by one, but the greatest part about that day was that he was truly happy. He was smiling the entire time and he never let go of Sophie's hand. She finally understood what it was to be a part of Caspian's life. They had been together for a few years, yes. But to really understand him in those years and for their wavelengths to match each other was everything that she could have only dreamt about.