Chapter 11: The Ward Revelation

"How can this be? How can this be? How can this be!" A stone was kicked in anger. "The ring isn't supposed to work. This wasn't supposed to happen! Coriakin had specifically mentioned that the powers of the ring worked only three times and not more and that does not include this!"

Caspian was taking in the situation very well for someone who was in a totally different world. Now, he finally understood the Professor and Nina's intentions, because he knew that he would get through this as long as he was Sophie. "Soph?" She kept shaking her head when he clamped her shoulder and wrapped his arms around her. "It's alright. We will figure this out."

Her chest was heaving with anger, but she hugged him back and closed her eyes. Her head fit right near his collarbone and he rested his neck on top of her head. "Okay." She pulled back when he let her go and looked at him carefully as her hand went to cup his cheek. "You have a beard!"

"And you have short hair," he said, pushing back her short hair.

She tried to hide her ears with her hands. "Is it bad?" They were barely reaching the shoulders.

He cocked his head to one side. "You look beautiful!"

"Well, you look dashing!"

Caspian pulled the front of his suit. "Uh....I don't know, Sophie. This doesn't seem like what I usually wear." 

"You look really good. Now I know exactly how you would look if I had met you in this world."

"I have a feeling that I look older than you."

She narrowed her eyes at him. He did have a point. The beard and the hairstyle made him look older. "I don't care." She showed him the ring on her finger. It was the same ring that he had used to propose to her before we went into battle. "You are my fiance and I will take this to be our mini honeymoon."

"Wait a second. Did you hear that?" He said suddenly, looking around, making her reach for her dagger. But he simply placed his hands on her shoulder and made her turn around to see what he was seeing. "Do you hear that?"

"Hear what?"

Sophie could feel his smile against her cheek. "We are completely alone."

Her eyes opened wide. "No more stares."

"And no more expectations."

"Did the bridge just save our life?"

A genuine laugh escaped Caspian. "This is all too confusing," He took her hand and squeezed it gently. "But I'm willing to walk through this. With you."

She straightened his tie and made it tighter. "Don't worry, love. I've got you."

Caspian cupped her face and stole a kiss that he had been wanting to steal for a couple of days. 

And so, the two of them walked towards the sound of traffic. Sophie was scared the entire time because she was back in my world after five years. Caspian was drawing circles on her hand and helped her get control over her breathing. He was scared, though he didn't show it out. He was in Sophie's world for the first time ever and was going to get a glimpse of the life that she had lived before coming to Narnia. 

But the minute the two of them reached the main square, he was mesmerized. "Wow."

"Caspian the Tenth? Welcome to my world."

They were near Sophie's school and had walked right out of the wooded area. If anyone had walked by and paid attention to them, they would have really looked like a couple who had gone for a hike wearing fancy clothes.