Chapter 9: Waltzing Through Telmar's Town

The next day, after her lessons with Trumpkin, Sophie made her way to town accompanying Nina and Marcus. The town was even more beautiful in the morning. Shops were opening on either side of the streets and people wished each other and the royal staff a good morning. The smell of fresh loaves of bread was unmistakable no matter where you went.

Sahil bought that day's bread from Mr. Ali' shop, which they described as the best shop in town. The family who ran the bakery had been in contact with the royals for ages. It was a family business and one that they were extremely proud of. Mr. Ali let Sahil examine the baskets of bread before he chose the one that he wanted to order. For Sophie, everything looked the same. All she cared about was getting food. But Sahil explained that the crust differed with each basket. 

Nina explained to her that all the shops that they bought ingredients from would keep a monthly note of the purchases that they made. Growing up in a city where all the shops worked with paying immediately, Sophie did not realise that beauty of nothing-down payment.

Walking out of the bakery, Nina informed that they were going to Claire's.  

"What are all these banters for?" Sophie asked as the two of them walked down the streets with the cold breeze as their other companion.

"They were placed for the king's coronation. It was a day that I will never forget. Everyone had gathered together to celebrate the fall of the coloniser's regime and the rise of a new dawn with Caspian. No one had the heart to take them down after the celebrations ended."

"I agree with that. They are really beautiful." Sophie could imagine herself riding through the town and being mesmerized by the colourful ribbons. They really did lift people's moods up, and if they were placed for an auspicious occasion, who was she to question it?

Nina led the way till the end of the street where a house with flowers growing on the window sills stood in tranquility. It was a shop with a homely look to it that it looked like a cottage taken out of a fairytale book. She knocked on the door and a dusky voice answered by shouting, "Come in!" 

Nina opened the door and walked inside. "Good morning, Claire!" 

"Good morning, ladies." Claire, a short woman with dark skin and red hair, wished the ladies as she tried to close the hole in the dress she was fixing. She looked up at the customers and noticed the person accompanying Nina not to be Evelyn or Rumira. That only left one other option. "Ah! This must be the famous Sophie Adams." 

Sophie was surprised that people had talked about her behind her back. "I wouldn't call myself famous but thank you."

"You are even more gorgeous than Nina described you to be!"

Sophie blushed. "Oh, thank you! That's very sweet of you. Of both of you."

Claire Mathur owned the best dress shop in Telmar. Mannequins stood all around the shop, whether they had dresses or not. It seemed as if the shop owner was pushing herself by looking at every empty corner to work harder. Claire had been working on a red-coloured gold-sequined dress for Sophie, although the young woman did not know it at that time.

"Sophie wanted to see the town and today seemed like the perfect opportunity to show her around," said Nina. "Her lessons and schedule are so tight. The girl never seems to rest!"

"I'm sure." Claire nodded, observing the dark circles that were receding under Sophie's eyes. "And how are my dresses fitting you, dear?" 

"Oh my, they are beautiful!"

"Why aren't you wearing one, then?"

"Oh," Sophie looked at her joggers and sweatshirt as she pulled her hair back into a knot. "I have training practice next and this is more comfortable. I don't think Trumpkin will go easy on me if he sees me wearing a dress."