Chapter 2: Training With Key

Ever since Sophie returned to Telmar after the voyage, people were curious to know her side of the story. Rumira and Sophie spent a lot of time together getting to know each other and Evelyn would join them too after her work was done. Nina was happy to see the Queen and Rumira walk into the kitchen and take the desserts that were prepared for lunch. 

Nina was going to protest but Rumira executed her part of the plan perfectly. "Mother, I think you have forgotten to add salt in this." She took a quick taste of the sauce in the pan and created the distraction that they needed while Sophie took the tray away.

That day, Sophie took Cassie out of her stall and both of them walked down to a place that Caspian and Sophie had claimed for themselves - a meadow. It was an open field that spread for acres and Sophie took Cassie out for a run there. It was a place that would hold a lot of memories for her with everything that was going on.

Sophie lay down in the soft grass where she counted her blessings. Cassie jumped on top of her and then eventually lay beside her. The two of them looked at the peaceful clouds, recognising the patterns that were forming. Cassie wanted to eat the clouds and let out a small bark when Sophie put her arm around her. 

"That looks like Thomas, doesn't it? I know, buddy. I know. Things really are changing this time. I'm getting....married. It seems strange doesn't it?" 

It was such a huge commitment which she was doubting that she was ready for. The Professor and Trumpkin were confident that she would be a wise ruler and that the lessons that she had been learning from them, though different from the ones that they would have taught a potential ruler, was more than enough for her to protect everyone.

The meadow was the one place where Caspian and Sophie sneaked to meet each other because the Professor had advised them to close down the doors to the towers. With such a direct connection to the north tower, they knew that it was better if they locked the towers and not directed attention to the fact that they had a new spot.

It was great to be back home.

Sophie thought about what Caspian had wanted her to think about. She couldn't really think about one person that she would wholeheartedly trust with her life. She didn't think that there would be any volunteers for the job either. Personal guard to the girl from the Other World? Sounds preposterous. But she wasn't only the girl from the Other World, was she? Sophie's time in Narnia had proved that she needed to stop doubting her abilities and stop thinking low of herself. But that was who she was.

She trailed her hand against the grass, feeling peaceful. This was what life was supposed to be - peaceful. All the social interactions and gatherings that she would have to eventually take part in was a detail she chose to ignore and only thought about how it took her so long to find herself. But once she did that, her life changed completely.

When she got used to the fact that she could start afresh and lead a new life in Narnia, her feelings betrayed her and she realised that she was in fact having feelings for the King of Narnia. When Caspian revealed his feelings, that changed a part of her, one that she had promised to never do ever again - hurt herself to protect others. And once that happened and she agreed to the reality that she had feelings for him as well, she got to know that she was the child of the original Rulers of Narnia - King Frank and Queen Helen.

Way to go, fate! Great way of dropping bombs on my emotional health! But this may be a direct reference to me though. After all, I'm the one telling her story to the world.

The next few years were hard. The White Witch of Narnia returned and created havoc. Sophie had to leave Narnia in order to protect Caspian from the same fate. She made friends with the Older Rulers in the house of their cousins and returned to Narnia with them and dealt with yet another Witch, who was also involved in the murder of her parents and the genocide of Narnians. Caspian proposed to her, and the Pevensies, Eustace and Reepicheep had to leave.