Tell Me A Story (Chapter 33)

(A/N
I am sad to announce that there is only one more chapter after this one, but expect more FanFics!

ILY.

~Samantha~)

*Patrick's POV*

"We really can't afford this," I sighed to myself, staring down at the bills sitting on the table.

I know what I need to do. I picked up my phone and dialed the number of the person I thought I'd never speak to again. The phone rang and rang until I thought no one was going to pick up.

At the last second, I heard a woman say, "Hello?"

My heart dropped. Patrick, you've got this.

"M-Mom?" I asked weakly.

"Patrick?" she said.

"Yes, Mama, it's me."

"Why are you calling me?"

"Well nice to hear from you too."

"No-- I mean-- not like that. I meant I thought you never wanted to speak to me again?"

"Well, I'm sure Pete's mom has told you everything that happened," I got an 'mhm' sound as a response. "He's out of work, I have a minimum wage job, I'm very pregnant, and we're about to lose our apartment, I really need help," I begged, my voice getting raspy.

"We may be able to work something out."

"Thank you, Mom," I said.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

I hung up the phone. It really hurt to say that, but fake it to make it, I guess. I walked in the living room, planning on watching a movie. Pete was laying down on the couch, hands folded together annd set on his stomach, and was staring up at the ceiling. I nudged him a little, motioning him to sit up.

"Patrick?" he asked.

"Yes?" I replied.

"Can you tell me the story of how we met?"

"It all started almost fifteen years ago. Our parents are severely Christian judgemental assholes, dragged us to church, and tried to brainwash us with the New Testament. I was a severely awkward sixteen year old, and you were an antisocial butterfly seventeen year old. I said hi to you first after one dreadful church service, and we got along pretty well. I invited you out to lunch with me, it was nice. We spent the next two weeks together basically conjoined at the hip. One night we snuck out of the house and went down to the church because you had a little 'surprise' for me. We drank communion wine. A lot of it. Let's just say that there was a little fire accident and the church burned down, and that's how I got pregnant..."

"Oh my god," he said, covering his mouth with one hand.

"But that's only the beginning, dear. My mom found out kicked me out, so I stayed with you. Then your mom found out, and she kicked us out. We lived with your friend Andy and his now husband, Joe, for a long time. Right before I had Cassidy, you got this crazy idea of becoming a teacher. I thought you were downright insane, but through college you were a substitute teacher. Your dream came true, you worked at a middle school. You worked for them for eight years, then the schoolboard found out about... us, and they fired you. Assholes, right? Then we found out I was pregnant again. You suggested abortion or adoption, and I got really mad about that. I realize now it was a logical idea, but I just can't handle either. Anywho, you left the house, and got into the wreck, you know the rest..."

"Seems like one crazy adventure," he smiled sadly.

"It really was," I replied.

He leaned in slowly, connecting our lips together. Since he's woken up we've kissed maybe two or three times, but this, this was amazing. This was the contact I've been dying to feel again.