19

"No, he's not.", You intercepted, trying to be as stern as possible, "A good friend. That's it."

"Honey, why haven't you gone to bed yet?", Marie asked concerned, "Were you doing the dishes? I said I'll wash them."

"No big deal.", you yawned, "I was going to call Jeon.", you looked at him, "Come on, time for bed."

"I'm not sleepy yet.", Jungkook waved his hands in denial and you could bother less.

"I'mma leave the door open.", you said and made a beeline towards your room.

"So Mr. Jeon...", Marie called out with a knowing tone, "Are you her soulmate or not?"

Jungkook remained quiet.

She hummed, "So you are."

After some moments of silence she spoke again, "She has never brought any of her friends before except Ena. She's an exception, you can practically see her house if you tilt your head a bit more.", taking a sip she said, "You know why you're here?"

Jungkook shook head, "You tell me."

"Because she wants you here. She trusts you enough to show you her world and most importantly she wants to lean her head on your shoulder. I don't know what's going on between you both but I hope you won't make her life more miserable then it already is."

"I hope not. It's very likely for me to mess up bad but I'm trying to make things right.", Jungkook confessed, "You know what I'm scared of most?"

Marie smiled, "You tell me."

"Myself.", He said with a shaky breathe, "I'm scared of me doing things which are unforgivable & for which I'll regret the rest of my life. I'm scared that the person on the other end will end up hating me and I'd be unable to provide a single reason for which I could ask forgiveness."

"Hey there, take it easy boy.", Marie patted on his shoulder, "Life is all about uncertainties. You will make mistakes but either you'll have to suck it up or make it up."

As the night went by, Jungkook and Marie bonded more over a or maybe two more bottles of beer. He learnt that Marie ran a bakery shop down the block. She never married because she never met her soulmate. He also learnt that you baked whenever you were sad. Your favourite colour was anything in the shades of coral and you deared peonies for life. In general, you were fond of flowers and rainbows. Jungkook glanced at the multi tinted threads of the charm bracelet you had given him & concluded that you loved colours, vibrant, beautiful colours.

"She can't taste anything sweet but she bakes and doesn't know how it actually turns out?",Jungkook was utterly perplexed.

"Boy, you should try her bakeries. I can assure you'd never have tasted anything as good. You don't know what other things my niece can do. You'll be surprised."

And Jungkook knew what Marie said was true because let's just say he was your soulmate, whether he admitted or not, he was.

"What's your lack of ability?", Marie suddenly snatched the can of beer from his hand and squinted eyes.

His eyes blew wide as if a deer caught in headlights, "I-- Well for me I don't know if it's something bad, my brother has been nagging for my entire life. I can't taste anything bitter."

"Too bad.", Marie commented, gesturing at the beer bottle, "It's just buzz for you."

To that Jungkook lolled back laughing, "You've an explicit sense of humour."

"But you know what that essence is although you don't know how it tastes on your tongue. Because your heart is dipped in it, bitterness."

Jungkook instantly deflated as if someone had just punched on a sore spot. He never cared to admit to anyone but after Claire left, he wasn't the same. The Jungkook three years back wore his heart on sleeves and loved so passionately. All that changed. He suppressed his emotions to the core, always wearing a fake and ungenuine smile.

Love & soulmates, were the words he damned day in, day out. He was foolish and foremost stubborn to believe that he wasn't just a placeholder in the life of girl he loved so endearingly. He couldn't believe her soulmate had the power to love her more than he loved her.

He knew that her soulmate was also in a relationship before they met and called off on their partners because they found each other. He wandered if that person was also crushed, trust thinned and beated with jokes of universe when they were left in mid stream, just like him. He wondered if their love was as sincere as him.

No right, he thought. No one could be as hurt as he was. He was a level, an epitome of all shatters. How could he forget the intimate nights she spent in his sheets or how she complimented his knowledge of art with hers.

Suddenly all the promises he made to you about seeking, trying and figuring out started to dissipate. Claire was all he could think about.

And suddenly, he concluded that he really had no romantics for you, only friendships, only adoration. Universe was wrong and Jeon Jungkook was close it prove it.

But he missed to ponder over a small fact. He had found solace in loneliness long ago and till now needed no company, had none, so why was your presence something so precious to him?

When he abruptly left from the spot without speaking another word to Marie and found you sleeping on the floor instead of the freshly made bed, leaving it for him, he decided to ignore any sort of yearns and laid on the bed.

What he did for the past days was normal, any friend would do that, whether it be Jimin or Yoongi or Sasha, anyone. You should consider yourself lucky, he thought because he was so generous that he wouldn't have objections if you fall for an other.

But of course, thought easy then done.

Aced in hiding his pain behind a tough built, he couldn't decipher why just a mere sentence from your aunt stirred his thoughts, fogged up his mind with her memories.

That night he dreamt of Claire.

~~~~

Keep reading! Keep Voting! 💚💙Borahae! ❤️💜

Borahae! ❤️💜