01

You scoffed.

Sitting by the window of the lecture hall, you rubbed on your chest. The sensation returned.

"Again?", Jimin, your best friend asked, already alert as he tried to sweep his gaze around quickly.

You didn't bother looking at him.

"And it must have gone by now, right?", Jimin asked as you gave a single nod.

He pouted, "Why don't you--"

"You out of all people know the best that I tried and also, that I can't.", your voice sounded tired.

All of the childhood, you grew up hearing about soulmates. Initially, it was just a word that elders seemed to use frequently. Some years later, you heard stories about fate and what fate had stored in for people. Again, the word soulmates, rang in your ears.

"Your father and I are soulmates, Y/N. We were bound to meet and get married.", your mother had once answered , when you asked how they found each other.

The little you believed in happy endings then. But no everyone fitted into the so called criteria. When youth kicked in, you understood why.

"I don't have a soulmate, Y/N", Ena sobbed and you looked at her helplessly, "People like us are considered as a glitch in the society."

You didn't believe her that time. You had known Ena since you could recognize faces. She was your next door neighbor, a sweet and kind hearted girl. How could someone not love her, most importantly, was there really no one who could love her without any bounds and norms?

"Isn't it too early to decide Ena?", you held her hands and smiled, "I'm sure there is someone who is waiting for you. Don't loose hope."

"I haven't yet found my lack of ability. And you know what that means Y/N.", she retorted strongly.

You sighed, "Still, I'd say not to give up."

And you couldn't believe that you had once said those words to someone. Because now, you were loosing hope. You were giving up.

"Earth to Y/N", Jimin snapped his fingers breaking your reverie, "Stop thinking."

You smiled.

~~~~

You and Jimin walked towards the cafeteria. You tightly clutched the book, you were holding to the chest not wanting the sensation to return.

Jimin's eyes softened as he pulled you closer to him, wrapping his arm over your shoulder.

You were never this cautious. Circumstances made you this way.

The universe worked interestingly. If a person was bound to have a soulmate they would have a lack of ability. And that lack of ability would disappear if they meet their soulmate. Your mother couldn't feel hotness until she met your father. And for your father he didn't knew what coldness was, that too until he met your mother.

For you, you didn't know what anything sweet tasted like. You cursed on the fact that your lack of ability had to be something related to tastes. You would see Jimin moan in delight after taking a bite of his ice cream on a hot summer day and never relate to the fact. Whether a pastry or an ice cream, everything became tasteless as soon as they met your tongue.

"Did you finish the assignment Mr. Han gave us last week?", Jimin asked looking up from his phone.

"Haven't started yet.", you huffed, "I tried to do some research. Trust me it was so boring that I fell asleep."