Chapter 36- Confession

It was 11pm by the time Spencer made it home.

He chucked his left-over Chinese food containers on the counter and loosened his tie. He was ready to fall into his bed when a light knock made him turn back around.

Opening the door, he was face to face with JJ.

"Jennifer," he announced in disbelief. "You can't just show up here," he cried out.

"I don't want to bring this up at work. You won't talk to me outside work. And since Olivia isn't here." JJ justified.

"What? How do you even know that?" he yelled, slightly disoriented.

"Spence, I need your help," JJ pleaded.

"What?"

"Spence. I need you to speak to Will." JJ's face was red.

"Are you mad?" Spencer was practically shouting at this point. He realised how loud he was and that they were still in the hallway, door wide open. He looked around embarrassed and lowered his voice. "Why on earth do you think that A Will would listen to me and B that I would help you."

"Spence, please. You're my best friend."

"It's too late," Spencer arms were raised.

JJ put her foot between the door and the frame, stopping it from closing. She slammed her hand against the door, preventing him from closing it further. "Spence. I know that I have been possibly the worst human on the earth but..."

"But what?"

JJ sniffled and wiped her nose. "When we were in LA I was pregnant. I didn't know at the time."

"Was?" Spencer winced.

JJ gravely nodded. "In the commotion something happened. I found out when I got back that I was in the process of miscarrying." Her voice was barely audible. "It's not an excuse for my behaviour toward you, Will or Olivia," JJ went on. "I just... I didn't feel like myself. I was lost. This is the second time this has happened to me. Somehow this time was harder. I want to tell Will. I have to tell Will. I couldn't tell him last time. Maybe that was a mistake. When the doctor told me this time it didn't hurt like the first time. I just felt numb. It may be hard to believe, but that is so much worse. I needed to feel something. Anything. I think that's why I let my guard down and lost control with you. After that I spiralled. Olivia happened to get the brunt of it." Tears spilled down her cheeks. "I tried to tell him alone, but I couldn't do it." JJ looked up at Spencer with bloodshot eyes. "Will you come with me Spence? I can't do it without you?"

Spencer gulped, the pain in JJ's eyes making him uncomfortable. "I'm sorry that happened to you." He dropped his grip from the door frame. He vanished. Moments later he returned with a box. "Come on," he prompted.

"Thank you." JJ lips curled into a smile.

Spencer followed JJ's car.

JJ pulled into her driveway and Spencer parked behind her. She got out her car and slumped against it. She could see Will through the window, cleaning up the mess that Henry and Michael had made before they went to bed. Spencer hopped out of his car and tapped JJ on the shoulder, causing her to jump.

She nervously cleared her throat. "What's in the box?" JJ shook off her feelings.

"Liv baked brownies and made Rocky Road on Sunday yesterday before she left. I won't be able to finish it all. The boys will like it." Spencer pursed his lips, waiting for JJ to get ready in her own time.

He stood across from her, waiting. Eventually she sighed and pushed off the car hood.

"I'm ready," she exhaled and marched to the front door. Quickly inserting the key, she swung the door open, but hesitated at the door.