Chapter 3- Olivia's out of town

Spencer's POV

In the weeks following, although Spencer and JJ had acknowledged the elephant in the room, the elephant was growing in size. The series of stolen glances, awkward encounters and innocent touches, were making the whole ordeal unbearable for the pair.

"Good news guys, we have a mandatory week off." Emily strode into the bull pen, a huge smile plastered on her face. "I love you guys, but we definitely need some time apart."

"Here, here," Luke seconded.

"Since we don't have to be in tomorrow how about we go out." Penny scuttled into the room at just the right moment.

"Garcia is always down for a party," Tara chuckled.

"I would love to, but I promised my wife I would cook for her tonight so count me out," Rossi announced.

"Did Rossi just say no to a party?" Matt exclaimed.

"Hey, I'm not looking to get divorced again, my friend."

The whole team laughed.

"I'll come, Olivia is in New York for a case anyway so I would just be home alone and burn the food. May as well save myself the hassle." Spencer leaned back in his chair.

"Err. I'm down. Will has the boys." JJ accidently glanced at Spencer, who looked up right at that moment.

"Okay great. Let's wrap up the paperwork and then we can head out," Emily suggested. They all nodded in agreement and went back to work. Except for spencer who rolled back in his chair and walked over to the break room.

"Aren't you supposed to be finishing paperwork?" JJ startled Spencer.

"JJ you made me jump out of my skin." Spencer went back to pouring himself a coffee. "I've already finished it."

"Right, yeah." JJ watched as Spencer shovelled sugar into his coffee. Spencer sighed feeling JJ's stare burning a hole through his skull. "Is there something else JJ?" The impatience in his voice was evident.

"We need to talk Spence about..."

"We already did JJ." Spencer huffed and picked up his coffee ready to storm out of the room without looking at her.

JJ grabbed his arm. "I'm serious Spence."

Spencer glanced around to see if anyone had noticed, habitually licking his lips. "Fine. Later." He statedly, pointedly.

"Later," JJ agreed allowing Spencer past.

Secretly Spencer was hoping not to have to confront the situation later at all. That's not what happened at all. Things at the restaurant went without a hitch. It was the bar that followed that harboured problems. It was around midnight when JJ managed to corner Spencer alone.

"Spence..."

"JJ, please I really don't..."

"We can't ignore it forever Spence."

"Fine, but we can't talk about it here." Spencer looked around at his friends.

"Okay." JJ agreed. "Olivia is out of town, right?"

Spencer nodded.

"Let's go to your place then." JJ rose from her seat, tugging Spencer with her. She announced to the group that she wanted to go home, and Spencer was dropping her off. The pair waved goodbye and left the bar.

The walked to Spencer's car in silence. JJ was rapidly typing on her phone. Her attention was entrapped by her screen that she stumbled on a crack in the sidewalk. Spencer caught her body before she hit the ground.