Chapter 17- A&E

Spencer ran to the front desk of the hospital. "Olivia Reid." He banged his hand on the table, impatiently.

"What is your relation to the patient?" A bored looking attendant asked.

"Her husband."

"ID please."

Spencer was growing infuriated by the slow pace of the attendant. He slammed his FBI badge on the table.

He got exactly the reaction he had intended to generate. The attendant quickly began locating Olivia and gave him the directions.

Spencer skid down the hallways until he made it to the area where Olivia was supposed to be. He stopped a nurse that was walking through the halls.

"Ummm... Olivia Reid. The front desk said she was here." The nurse recognised the concerned puppy eyes.

"Husband?"

Spencer nodded, glumly.

"Her room is third door up on the left." The nurse pointed down the hall. Spencer presented her with a thankful smile and sped off down the hall.

He arrived outside the door. Peering in he saw Olivia lying on the bed unconscious, two wires attached to her temples and an IV running into her hand. Even like this he thought she looked ethereal.

The door slid open automatically, as Spencer stepped closer. As he stepped inside, taking in Olivia.

"Dr Reid?" Alice was stood with a doctor looking at an image of brain scan. She was relieved by his arrival.

"How is she?" He tried his hardest not to let his voice tremble. Spencer didn't look away from Olivia.

"Dr Reid, I'm Dr Stevens. I'm the attending overseeing your wife's care."

"How is she?" Spencer repeated.

"She is stable. We have sedated her to help some swelling that she has in her brain. How long has she had migraines?"

"Since before I met her. I think when she was 22 when they started." Spencer's fingers gently trailed over Olivia's immobile hand.

"Was she ever diagnosed with anything?"

"No."

"Has she complained of any other symptoms?"

"I don't know. She felt unwell a few weeks ago."

"Yes, Alice mentioned that she has been having dizzy spells, nausea and loss of appetite. She also contacted her primary physician a few times in the last few weeks complaining of some other symptoms.

"You think this might be viral?"

"It appears that since her last check up, something has caused her condition to deteriorate quite rapidly. Especially considering her last scan was only two months ago. Something is aggravating her condition. We would like to run some tests, but we need consent as they are not standard. But no, my first instinct is not infection. Taking into account her history I think some stressor may have caused a flare up. So, if you agree we would like to run the investigative tests, along with our standard tests."

"Yes. Whatever you need?" Spence whispered, caressing her face and pushing her hair behind her ear.

"We'll get the forms," Dr Steven's nodded to a nurse that had appeared at the door.

"Could this be stress induced," Spencer asked.

"Is Olivia stressed?" The doctor asked.

"She is an attorney, our job is stressful," Alice spoke up from the chair she had perched on. "But Olivia always handles it well. She is very level-headed and calm when it comes to work. She's been taking on more cases, but I honestly see it soothing her. Not stressing her."

"But could it be?" Spencer asked again.

"It's possible Dr Reid. We can only speculate until we carry out some mores tests."

"Your theory," Spencer asked bluntly.

"I'm sorry," the doctor was taken aback.

"You must have a theory, otherwise you wouldn't have certain tests to conduct in your mind."

"I do, Dr Reid. Let's wait for the results, shall we?" Dr Stevens reassured him, while handing him the consent forms.

Spencer took the forms from him. "How long as she been unconscious?"

"It's only a mild sedative, Dr Reid. She should be coming to soon."

"Is she in pain?"

"Unfortunately, I don't have any way of knowing that." Dr Stevens sympathised with Spencer.

"Why wouldn't she tell me?" Spencer directed his question to Alice. "Why wouldn't she tell me she is hurting?"

Alice tilted her head in confusion. Spencer clocked that Olivia had not told anyone about his indiscretions. She had been suffering in silence. Now he definitely felt responsible for her plight.