Chapter 14- You and JJ

Spencer had the worst sleep of his life, if you could even call it sleeping. After JJ left his room, he restlessly paced his room. When his watch finally declared 6:30am he abandoned his attempts to sleep. He shuffled into the bathroom to shower. Within thirty minutes he was fully dressed, and his bags packed.

His door knocked.

He quickly opened the door and saw Emily outside his door, hand readied to knock again. Emily was startled by Spencer appearance.

"Wow, you're already ready." She signalled her own sleepy appearance.

"Yeah. I couldn't sleep."

Emily nodded in comprehension. "You know that we are not leaving for the jet till nine."

"Yeah, like I said couldn't sleep. Thought I'd get a head start." He anxiously looked around his room. "Was this a wakeup call?"

"Err not exactly. Can I come in?"

"Oh yes, sorry yeah. Come in."

Emily entered and took a seat on the couch. "Look I'm not going to beat around the bush. What's going on with you and JJ?"

"HUH? Nothing. Absolutely Nothing." His eyes darted away from Emily.

"Reid, I heard you guys arguing last night. Is everything okay?"

Spencer exhaled in relief. For a moment he thought that Emily knew what happened between him and JJ. "We just had a disagreement about somethings."

"Things to do with Olivia?"

"Why would you say that?" His forehead creased and his mouth turned downwards.

Emily sucked in her cheeks as she debated how to phrase her next sentence. "Before I say anything I need you to know that I am not picking sides. Both you and JJ are my friends."

"What is it, Emily? What did Jennifer say?" Spencer was agitated now.

"JJ may have mentioned that things with you and Olivia aren't good right now."

"What else?" Spencer probed further.

"Reid, JJ is your best friend. She is just looking out for you. If things are as she says, nobody would blame you for making some hard decisions."

Spencer was infuriated. "So, JJ has been bad mouthing Liv. When did this start? Let me guess ever since we left for this case. Note how she has never said anything before. Emily, the reason me and JJ were arguing is because she isn't being a very good friend right now. You don't know the whole story."

"I'm not taking sides Spencer." Emily placed a hand on his shoulder. "I just hope you won't let this affect your friendship."

Spencer grimaced but nodded.

"I'll see you in the lobby at 8:30." She smiled and left his room.

Spencer was left speechless. What was JJ's angle.

Spencer waited to last to board the jet. When he did, he sat in the furthest seat from JJ, avoiding her at all costs.

Spencer is lost in his thoughts when Rossi clears his throat. "You okay kid?"

Spencer nodded in response.

Rossi cocked his head to the side, indicating that he didn't buy it.

"I'm just confused," Spencer reiterated.

"What has the man with an IQ of 187 confused?"

"People," he groaned, throwing his head back against the seat.

"People or a certain person?" Rossi asked, jutting his head towards JJ. "Friends argue Reid. It's how you come out on the other side that counts."

"Hey Rossi. Have you ever made a mistake and just wished the world would swallow you up?"

"Everybody makes mistakes Reid. You can't go back in time. You have to learn to accept them and live with them."

"What if that's what you're trying to do, but it keeps resurfacing, making life more difficult."

"You have to accept that is a consequence of your action. Reid, I'm not going to ask you what's bothering you. But I do know that fighting with JJ is not going to make you feel better. Make a decision. Stick to it. Stop dwelling in the past."

Spencer nodded, his gaze slipping past Rossi and landing on JJ. JJ was watching him. Her gaze fell as soon as their eyes locked.