Chapter 10- Oh

In the office Emily and David were chatting outside their offices. Spencer strolled in, chucking his go bag on his desk.

Luke grabbed Spencer's shoulders. "You look tired. Have fun on your days off?" Luke wiggled his eyebrows at Spencer.

Spencer shook his head scoldingly at Luke, as Matt, Tara and JJ walked towards them. If only he actually knew. They all stand huddled together. Penelope ran through the bullpen. They falter back letting her through as she directed everyone to the conference room. They waited for her to pass and then followed behind her.

Spencer took a moment to nudge JJ. "You okay?" She nodded with a brave smile. Spencer frowned but doesn't pester her as they walked to the round table.

Spencer didn't bring it up again when they flew to Miami for the case.

That evening Spencer sat in his room running through evidence. A knock on the door pulled his attention from his work. Opening the door, he saw JJ outside his door.

"Hi," they both spoke in unison.

"Can I come in?" JJ asked.

"Umm... sure. Yeah." Spencer glanced down the hallway.

JJ came into the room and sat on the couch, taking in his room. Her gaze lingered on the way he had thrown his jacket and tie on the bed. He had a map spread out on the coffee table and books opened on the desk. Her eyes followed Spencer as he crossed the room. She took in his lean, yet surprisingly muscular physic. You could see his contours through his white shirt. She shook the thoughts out of her head.

"How's it going?" Spencer asked leaning against the windowsill on the far side of the room.

She breathed out deeply, her breath trembling. Slowly her eyes bloodshot and swell.

Spencer allowed her to blink the tears away, with an acknowledging look.

JJ caught her tears before they fall. "Guess this is what it's like to be in the doghouse." JJ nervously laughed, trying to mask her emotions. "At least we can be in it together."

Spencer diverted his gaze away from JJ, knowing this was rough for her.

JJ cleared her throat. "How have things been with Olivia? She is hell of lawyer, must have been quite the argument."

Spencer shifted awkwardly, shifting his weight.

"Spence?" JJ was concerned by Spencer's lack of reaction.

"No... Actually... umm... Liv and I are okay for now. We are working things out. At leat we were before the case." Spencer shrugged his shoulder and rubbed his head, trying to not make a big deal of it.

"Oh," JJ was surprised. She had anticipated that her and Spencer would be in the same situation. In fact, she had resolved that he would get the brunt of it. She knew that Olivia had a completely different temperament from Will. Will was always the cool, calm and collected one. Olivia was the feisty one. Clearly, she was wrong. "That's great, Spence. Will won't even talk to me," she announced, her voice wavering.

"Give him time JJ." It took all Spencer's efforts not to engulf JJ in a hug.

"Yeah, you're probably right." She looked around the room. "I should probably go." She shot up off the couch.

"Yeah." Spencer followed her to the door, opening it for him. "Umm goodnight."

JJ pulled Spencer into an uncomfortable goodnight hug. Spencer platonically patted her back. Waving to her down the hallway. He knew if he thought too far into it, things would get out of hand.

He gingerly closed the door leaning against it, throwing his head back. This was going to be harder than he thought.

He quickly fumbled in his pocket for his phone. He called Olivia. It rang through to voicemail. He was rattled thinking that she might have changed her mind about give him a second chance. He immediately dialled her again.

"Hello." He sighed in relief when he heard her voice.

"Hello, you sound tired. Did I wake you up?"

"No, no, no" Olivia laughed. "Still working. How's the Florida heat treating you?"

"Aw, it's so humid, my hair is going wild." He could hear Olivia sniggering on the phone.

"Wish I could see that."

"It's not pretty," he grimaced.

"Rough case?" she asked once she stopped laughing.

"Yeah. I mean they all are, but I'm holding up alright for now. Especially after hearing your voice. Are your interns still about?"

"Nah, I sent them home. Alice left about 20 minutes ago as well."

"You should get some sleep."

"Yeah, you too." She agreed. "Goodnight, Spence."

"Goodnight Liv. I love you." He added hopefully.

He heard her breath hitch. "I know. B..Bye. Stay safe." And then ended the call.