Chapter 40 Leman

Leman: a lover, sweetheart or paramour

In which sometimes you wonder why Bam and Eve aren't lovers just yet when they act like that. But more importantly, FLUFF!!! This chapter finally marks the start of F L U F F– I’m sorry, I’m high on writing fluff :) My hands have been itching to write this so much–

¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸

"YOU–!" The bluenette only stared blankly at the businessman. No trace of her usual gentleness, her blue-violet eyes cold and her expression threatening. It was a look Gustang and her allies in FUG would be used to. A side of her that Bam didn't know as she took care of everything behind his back, intent on not getting him involved with FUG's affairs.

Rather than Bam, the remaining team members were probably more used to seeing her like this. After all, they've witnessed her snap a few times when someone insulted Bam rather badly. This side of her was just as true as the tenderness she reserved for those she cherished deeply. Gustang himself stood beside her, silent as he let the bluenette deal with the aftermath. He’s done his part per their nonexistent agreement after all.

“As if dealing with FUG and the Workshop wasn't enough… Now we have yet again another one. It's nice to finally meet you, Madoraco-san. It's a pity we had to meet under these circumstances, but I couldn’t exactly stay while you were targeting him.”

Though as you would expect from a top level businessman who knew how to pick his fights, his expression was schooled calmly. And he still had the nerves to subtly provoke her. “It was unfortunate to stop halfway on a good business transaction, not that I can continue when you pull that kind of move.”

“In the Tower, power is everything in whatever form it may be and depending on how you use it. Physical prowess, abilities, skills, talent, politics, sponsors, money, connections. I simply used the cards up my sleeves to get what I want, the same as you did. And it looks like I won this time." Evolet said it emotionlessly, retorting calmly as if merely stating a fact. But her tone swiftly turned slightly hostile, bloodlust lurking behind her gleaming blue-violet orbs.

"No matter who it may be, if they want to hurt him then I won’t hold back either. I’ll do everything in my power to protect him. Even if I have to go against the whole Tower to do so. That’s why, I’d appreciate it if you back off and never do this in the future again. It’d be a waste to lose a potential business partner, but if you do that again then I’ll have no choice other than to completely erase you out of the picture.”

“And how will a mere E-rank Regular do that?”

Evolet smirked at that question, one that no doubt Khun would deem just as dangerous as his. The bluenette tilted her head slightly in a mocking way, a finger on her lips and her gaze dark like a beast ready to strike. “Madoraco-san, I believe the question you should be asking is how did a mere E-rank Regular do this?”

That was in fact a fair point. After all, what kind of normal E-rank Regular could call on a favor from the head of the Po Bidau family. Or any head of the Ten Great Family for that matter. Even if one was from their family members, they’d have to be a Ranker first before thinking of doing so. Good thing Evolet wasn’t normal in any way or your typical Regular either. She wasn’t a Regular either for that matter. But Madoraco didn’t need to know that, she’d prefer to keep as much information under wraps unless necessary.

Despite how he momentarily narrowed his eyes at her words, it seems like the High Ranker was willing to back off. It was the right decision to get Gustang’s help. With this, in the future at least Madoraco would think twice first before scheming anything. Though she did need another way to keep things in check. It wasn’t as if she could rely on Gustang each time this happens.