Chapter 22 Absolutory

Absolutory: forgiving or absolving

In which Evolet is not quite forgiving if someone dares to mess with Bam, directly or indirectly.

¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸

In another part of the residential area, Evolet could be seen walking with Yunuen on their way back from the Regulars Training Ring. Her Lighthouse was in visible mode, since Yunuen kept buying her stuff here and there so she had to constantly put them into her Lighthouse unless she was going to bring them by hand. She stopped him eventually when she realized the weirded out stares of the Regulars, reprimanding him for splurging too much and attracting attention.

Yunuen could only laugh heartily at her intervention, mentally glaring and cursing at every Regular’s stares he could find directed at Evolet who realized none of their intentions. Though he quickly settled down momentarily as he observed the girl who was glancing around here and there in search of her yearly gift to Khun. His thoughts began to drift off as he nodded proudly at the girl beside him, pleased with her achievements and how she asserted her own standing at FUG within a short amount of time. He would've never imagined that she would change so much since the first time he unofficially met her in that forsaken place. A part of it was undoubtedly thanks to Bam, which Yunuen was eternally grateful for. While Bam doesn't know how Evolet had been in the past, it didn't change the fact that she was able to stand like this because of Bam.

But if Yunuen had to admit, there was still a lingering fear in the depths of his heart. He was deathly terrified of the possibility that Evolet might become like that once more. He knew what she had been subjected to from the very beginning and stood by her through it all, cherishing her like no other did. He was aware of the nightmares haunting her, the relentless attempts to break Evolet. Despite that she kept forging on as if there wasn't anything bothering her. Perhaps it was the fact that Evolet was strong in her own way, but Yunuen deeply adored and respected her for that. And he couldn't bear the thought of her returning to her former state and the precious smile she was wearing right now gone without a trace.

"Little One..."

"Hm? What is it, Yunuen-san?" Evolet asked him serenely, seemingly without a worry in the world.

"You won't break your promise, right?"

She had blinked in confusion for a moment before the question sunk into her mind. Her smile morphed into something more knowing, as if trying to reassure him. "Don't worry, Yunuen-san. I won't break my promise. I don't think I can afford that now, especially if I want to keep FUG at bay. Besides… I don't know how I can explain it to Bam if that happens."

Almost on impulse, Yunuen breathed a sigh of relief at her assurance. If she said so then he’ll believe it. As long as that smile of her remained, like a beacon of light that he can’t help but gravitate towards. He’ll do anything to protect her, as long as she’s happy. She was his lighthouse, leading him in the dark so he won’t lose his path. Losing her would mean him plunging into the cold darkness again, and he wanted to avoid that at all costs.

“By the way, Little One. Slayer Karaka is also on this floor. He insisted on following Jinsung no matter what.”

Evolet’s eyes narrowed the slightest bit at the newfound information, contemplating how she should move about with this situation. "The Elders haven't taken it out have they?"

Yunuen shook his head at the question, confirming that the Elders haven't made any big moves against her. Though if they did, Yunuen would be the first one to strike before they can even a single hair on her. She considerably settled down at the confirmation, deeming that she won't need to pull any strings if Karaka only came by himself without the backing of an Elder. If Karaka didn't make a move then she'll also stay put, as simple as that. Evolet could only smile warmly at Yunuen as he kept buying things on his own accord for her, though if he kept that up then her Lighthouse would be filled to the brim in no time at all. A thought that she's been thinking of lately suddenly popped into her mind.