𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫 [𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟎]

Dear Magnus,
I have been trying to write this letter for a while, I can't think of the words to use to tell you this. Our relationship isn't working out anymore. I'm too afraid to say the words to your face because I know that if I saw your eyes looking into my soul, or saw your sweet smile as your spoke, I would not be able to say these words to you.

I love you Magnus, and I will love you forever, but I have to make this decision because I know it's right. I have to leave you, I can't tell you why, but you have to trust me. I know that this is going to hurt you, but I know you are strong, so please promise to me that you will fight through this.

Even if I never see you again, a part of my soul will always belong to you. I will lay in bed every night thinking about you.

You may wonder what made me come to this conclusion, like I said, I can't tell you, but I know it's right.

I want to thank you for all you have done for me. You let me find myself when nobody else could, you were the only one who really tried and I will always appreciate you.

Promise me Magnus, that you will move on. It will break my heart seeing you with someone else, but believe me when I say you will be much safer.

Rafael is safe, so am I. Please don't try to look for me. Please Never try to look for me again.

This is the end, but it's a new beginning.
As long as I can dream, I will dream of you.
-Alexander.

When Alec finished the letter tears were falling down his eyes like waterfalls.

His heart hurt while writing the letter. He had to use every ounce of his power to come to writing it. All he wanted to do was to press his lips against Magnus's one more time, or to dance with him and never let go.

Alec sat with the paper in his hands and cried.

Alec looked up at the ceiling.
"I love you Magnus, please forgive me." He whispered as he sealed up the letter.

Jonathan had come in, gripping Rafael tenaciously.
"Did you write the letter?" He asked as he walked in.

Alec didn't turn around, he didn't want to see Jonathan's smug face.

Jonathan walked over to Alec and snatched the letter from his hand.
Jonathan laughed at the crying Alec on the floor.
"You really are pathetic" said Jonathan still staring at Alec who was now sat with his head in his hands.

Jonathan walked away after throwing Rafael to the ground. Rafael jumped up and ran to Alec to go and give him a hug. He was young, but he wasn't stupid.
"It's ok daddy." Rafael whispered.
Alec lifted his head to look at his son. Alec moved a strand of hair from Rafael's face and hugged him again.
"I know Raf. You're free now." Alec told him.

Rafael might have been free, but Alec knew that he never would be. He had to live with the thought of breaking Magnus's heart for the rest of his life.

Jonathan walked back towards them after sending the message to Magnus.
"You are free to go." Jonathan said. "Also, I wiped his memories so he cannot even tell your warlock about our little deal." Jonathan told him, a large smirk painted on his face.

Alec stood up from the floor and took Rafael's hand.
"I hope you die a slow and painful death." Alec said to him as he walked out the door.

It was now dark outside, Alec had been in the warehouse for hours.
He wasn't sure on how to get Rafael back to Magnus's apartment when he wasn't even allowed to see him.

He walked Rafael home (or the home that was no longer his) and dropped Rafael outside of the door. Alec hugged Rafael.
"Daddy has to go somewhere." Alec whispered. "I love you Rafael, more than you will ever know. If you miss me then look up in the sky, as long as the stars in the sky shine, that's how long I will love you." Alec knocked on the apartment door and then ran down the hall, leaving Rafael standing outside.

Alec stood at the end of the hall to make sure Rafael got in safely. He saw Magnus open the door, his usually spiky hair drooping down onto his forehead.

He heard Magnus's voice.
"Where's your dad?" Magnus asked in the distance.
"He had to go." Rafael replied and then hugged Magnus's leg.

All Alec wanted to do was to run over to Magnus and hug him as tightly as he could, but he knew that if he did that then Rafael's life was on the line.

Alec looked a final time at Magnus before he ran away, leaving everything he ever loved behind.