The Earl's Young Bride and Th...

By SueHart2

Life's controversy is overcome by understanding and conquered by love. Two couples. First, there is Lord Benn... More

Copyright Page
Chapter One: The Contract
Chapter Two: Discovery
Chapter Three: All About Vivian
Chapter Four: Discovery
Chapter Five: Messages of Hope
Chapter Six: Promising Start
Chapter Seven: Courtship and Games
Chapter Eight: The Unexpected
Chapter Ten: Love of Music
Chapter Eleven: Concerns and Determination
Chapter Twelve: Questions and Digging for Answers
Chapter Thirteen: Sex Education
Chapter Fourteen: Shocking Conversations
Chapter Fifteen: Temptations Stranglehold
Chapter Sixteen: The Lure of Temptation
Chapter Seventeen: A Day of Decisiveness
Chapter Eighteen: Understanding
Chapter Nineteen: Nothing is Perfect
Chapter Twenty: A Ring of Promise
Chapter Twenty-One: The Little Chapel
Chapter Twenty-Two: The Celebration
Chapter Twenty-Three: Intimate Innocence
Chapter Twenty-Four: The Morning After
Chapter Twenty-Five: Redirection
Chapter Twenty-Six: The Upper Hand
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Barriers
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Explosive Feelings
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Decisions
Chapter Thirty: An Inebriated Plan
Chapter Thirty-One: Her Heartfelt Apology
Chapter Thirty-Two: The Unexpected Seduction
Chapter Thirty-Three: A Long Day of Travel
Chapter Thirty-Four: Happiness Redefined
Chapter Thirty-Five: Plans Made
Chapter Thirty-Six: Advantages of a Rushed Marriage
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Surprises that please or shock
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Facing What Comes
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Unexpected Help
Chapter Forty: Thieves and Surprises
Chapter Forty-One: The Grand Apology
Chapter Forty-Two: Time for Each Other
Chapter Forty-Three: Examining Truth
Chapter Forty-Four: Back to Maywood Manor
Chapter Forty-Five: Righting what's Wrong
Chapter Forty-Six: Recovering What was Stolen
Chapter Forty-Seven: Good News and Trouble
Chapter Forty-Eight: Back with Charlotte
Chapter Forty-Nine: More Arrivals
Chapter Fifty: Recovery of Stolen Goods
Chapter Fifty-One: Found Evidence
Chapter Fifty-Two: The Baroness
Chapter Fifty-Three: Maywood Jail
Chapter Fifty-Four: The Trip Home
Epilogue

Chapter Nine: What's Proper?

791 71 19
By SueHart2

Vivian continued to keep her horse at an even gait with Ben's mount. She was not ready to drop what she wished to know concerning the rules of their courtship. "Ben, it is confusing as to what others deem as proper behavior. Isn't such only a matter of one's opinion? If I am to speak with Father on this matter, I wish to know."

He understood and agreed with her. "If this matter is of concern, I shall speak to your father. You are now of an age for me to court you. Couples who are under contract to marry are allowed to attend places without a chaperone. However, it is my honor that prevents you from needing one."

"I have no doubts as to your honor, Ben. As to when we shall marry, we shall discuss this in detail at a later time. What has me concerned are the rules of the elite. Father has not been much help and often tells me not to worry over such things. However, I wish to avoid mistakes as well as embarrassment; should we appear alone together at the opera. We do not have a contract pinned to our breast to prove such behavior is permissible."

"You are right of course. But one cannot stop what other people think, my dear. Gossip often harms the innocent."

Her ire heated and it came out in the tone of her voice. "The innocent are charged with misbehavior and looked down upon in favor of the wicked rumor and it goes unpunished. What justice is in that?" She tossed her arm out as she stated so. "'Tis not right."

"I agree." He loved seeing the fire inside her.

"I wish to read about these rules. Do you know of a book that teaches such?"

"Charlotte may have such a book. We can decipher such information together so I will not overstep what is proper. If attending the opera alone with me is a concern for you, your personal maid can join us and sit in the hallway. She will be able to hear the music." He watched her consider his compromise.

"My brother, Michael, scoffs at the antiquated rules. It is of his opinion that I will not wish to be involved with the elite of society. He avoids them."

"In many ways, that is Charlotte's opinion." Ben realized how she had managed without a mother's guidance. His mother was the one who had taught Charlotte. Now, his sister could pass some wisdom of such things to Vivian.

"I shall ask Charlotte about such a book. If she has one, I will bring it tonight when we come for dinner," he said smiling. "However, if you wish to share it by reading it with me, you must bring it in the morning."

Radley and the sisters rode up alongside them. He exclaimed, "This makes me eager to ride to the country where true challenges exist. I need to go to my estate and check upon the renters."

Ben agreed that the country was invigorating. "Have you escorted Vivian for a carriage ride during the late afternoon?"

"Ask me, Benny. The answer is no. But you may take me. I would enjoy the adventure with you."

"Then we shall do so tomorrow if you wish. The elite use the ride to greet others and see who is riding with whom. We will likely not know anyone, but if I do perchance recognize someone, I will introduce you."

Vivian saw Charlotte smiling at Ben. "I believe it will be enjoyable if Radley brings Charlotte in his chaise. Would you not enjoy partaking of such an adventure, Charlotte?" As she watched, Charlotte jerked her head to look at Radley. "I am willing if you are not otherwise engaged."

His expression was pleasurable. "I would be honored. We would not wish to disappoint Vivian, now would we?"

"You are most persuasive. I will come with Ben when he comes to collect Vivian at four tomorrow."

Vivian looked at Ben in confusion. "Shall I not be with you at your residence?"

"The carriage ride calls upon you to change from your day dress to something more fitting. Charlotte will instruct you on this topic tomorrow." His sister nodded to him.

Radley saw her and smiled. "Thank you," he said in a low tone. "I look forward to our outing."

Vivian watched the smiles between Radley and Charlotte. However, as she glanced at Benny, she found him fighting his laughter. He winked at her and she laughed because he knew that she was helping Radley with the courtship.

His horse tossed his head to gain leverage to run. "Shall we race back?" she asked.

"Lead on, my sweet." Throughout the day he had freely used endearments. Her acceptance gave him encouragement. He had feared their long absence would have created estrangement, instead, she was eager.

Their enjoyment of the ride had time passing quickly. When they returned to the Brighton residence, instead of tying their mounts out front as before, Radley led them to the stables behind the house.

Vivian watched as Benny dismounted and gave the reins to one of the stable boys. He stepped beside her and held his arms up for her. She released her foot from the stirrup and leaned into his waiting arms. "You have always been able to lift me. I am glad you can continue to do so," she said as he set her down.

"I remember how you loved to be chased and then thrown into the air after I caught you. Now that you are grown, I pray you will be content with less vigorous actions. I could drop you if we try to repeat such activity." Though, he did have an image of tossing her on the bed once they married. Such an image would only lead to more intimate moments with her, so he fought it by remembering her young age.

He had been unaware of staring at her face for such a lengthy time, but she recognized it. "You thoughts drifted to sea, did they not?"

He offered his arm. "Fear not. You were with me." He smiled when she giggled.

Radley watched the stable master help Ruth down from her horse, so he eagerly stepped beside Charlotte to help her dismount. Instead of waiting on her to lean down, he cupped his hands around her waist and plucked her down so quickly she fell into him—just as he had hoped.

She stared at his laughing face and fought a grin. He appeared in no hurry to release her, but Ruth spoiled the moment when she hurried to his side and tugged his arm.

"Thank you for riding with us today. Will you have time to share tea with us? Vivian said we would have tea upon our return and enjoy a visit with you and your father."

Bennett noticed how Vivian had frowned at Ruth and knew she was disappointed at his sister's interruption. "Come along Ruth. He will likely spare you a moment.

Vivian smiled with pleasure and then took Ben's hand leading him towards a pair of French doors that entered into her library. She swung the door open and pointed at the flowers he had given to her sitting on her desk. They had been placed in a crystal vase with the ribbon tied around the outside.

"Ben, this is my sanctuary. Father presented me with this room when I was twelve. I now believe his guilt of separating us had something to do with it." She slipped her gloves off and set them on the desk.

He smiled at her assessment and his sisters stepped inside with Radley. Charlotte spotted the flowers immediately and came closer.

Ben told her, "Vivian desires a book on etiquette to read. Would you have one she may borrow?"

"That would be the Debrett's Peerage. Debutantes use the book as a guide for the season. It has rules and the ranks of the elite, though some suggestions come from the women of the ton. Mother gave it to me when I was sixteen. I will bring it tonight."

Vivian stepped close to Ben's side as Charlotte began looking at the spines of the books. "We should choose a flower to press in my notebook."

Ben slipped his gloves off and set them on a table nearby. "I would think the pink rose may dry with a hint of aroma and hold the petals." He reached out to the arrangement. "What about this one," he asked pointing to it.

She turned her head to look at him. Because he was leaning towards the flowers, his face was close. She had a desire to lean closer. "Make sure the smell is strong."

He pulled it free and raised it to his nose to sniff and offered it to her to smell. She covered his hand with hers and watched him as she inhaled the scent. "This adds another memory to write about. How you plucked the flower for me to smell."

"We will share many moments together and I shall share my thoughts with you, like those I have now." When she took the flower from his fingers, he reached for her face. "A rose reminds me of the velvety softness of your skin and the sweet smell of your perfume."

"'Tis rose water," she volunteered. "I also enjoy the smell of lilacs."

"As do I, my sweet." He couldn't resist tempting her. "I wear cologne as well. Do you like it?" He leaned down placing the side of his neck near her.

She leaned closer and took a deep breath. "Oh, my. That smells heavenly," she said as she moved closer to take another whiff. "It has a tang of citrus but darker as if a heavier substance was added."

"Two others, I believe—vanilla, and musk. I quite like it. The French call it Voyager."

"It is very pleasing," she said softly.

He ran the back of his finger against her cheek. "Would you permit me to choose a perfume for you? I have missed your birthday which was in April and that was months ago."

"If you knew, why did you not send me a card, Benny? I would have enjoyed it immensely."

"I did think of you, but your father made me promise not to contact you before he called upon me to do so. May I purchase you a gift in celebration?"

She stared at the doorway with heat in her eyes. He touched her cheek to bring her attention back to him. "Sweetheart, your father had reasons. Radley may know of them. I am grateful you are with me now. Please consider how anger can ruin the freedom we have together now. Later, would be a better time to discuss this. Perhaps after we plan the wedding?"

She stared at him with a look of amazement and then giggle. "You take no chances, do you?"

"If such happens again, I would come after you and gain a special license. Any separation now would be cruel... unless you decide to cancel our contract."

She covered his lips swiftly with the palm of her hand. "Stop. I have deep feelings for you, Benny. But now is not the time to speak of them. Tomorrow would be better. Agreed?"

He pulled her into his arms and hugged her close to him. "Agreed." Radley cleared his throat and Ben stepped back from his hold on her. "We are seldom alone."

"We shall be. Do not ask Father about the opera until we have read your sister's book."

"I promise for a conversation to hear your thoughts on this topic. We shall hope we are at liberty to spend time alone. If not, I may break the rules."

She grinned at his boyish behavior and nodded.

Hi readers. I'm trying to capture things that may have concerned a sixteen-year-old girl during that time. At the same time, showing how eager Ben may be as a young man of twenty-five. Most would have tried to experience life in its fullest, I suppose. Experience and taste all they could before marriage. I saw a boy raised to love one girl. Rare indeed.

At the same time, I have Radley who is that eager rogue who is knocked off center by the dark headed Charlotte. She too is the opposite of Vivian. Older, wiser, and a challenge.

Hope you are enjoying it. The courtship always takes a bit of coaxing. LOL

Please remember to vote.

Thanks again for reading. Tell me what you think. I love hearing from you.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

195K 6.3K 52
As much as Kimberly Astor hated to admit it, she had a slight problem. Okay, so it was theoretically a major problem, but it wasn't entirely her faul...
146K 8K 69
| 18+| Sequel to 'The Prince's Choice'| Newly crowned king and queen, William and Jade stand at the brink of war. Their union has enraged William's m...
69K 1.5K 33
After years of ups and down, Ryan William is left all alone even though he's surround by a lot of people. Choosing his love over the girl everyone th...
2.9K 149 51
"I used to think I knew what being hurt felt like, but then I met him. How I miss the days when he was a stranger to me" *** When Margo is dragged in...