Winter Rose.

Від imintheblackparade

There were two babes in the Tower of Joy. Two babes tied so closely to their parents, Ned had to make the de... Більше

Prologue
i.
ii.
iii.
iv.
v.
vi.
vii.
viii.
ix.
x.
xi.
xii.
Part ii.
xiii.
xiv.
xv.
xvi.
xvii.
xviii.
xix.
xx.
xxi.
xxii.
xxiii.
xxiv.
Part iii.
xxv.
xxvi.
xxvii.
xxviii.
xxix.
xxx.
xxxi.
xxxii.
xxxiii.
xxxiv.
Part iv.
xxxv.
xxxvi.
xxxvii.
xxxviii.
xxxix.
xl.
xli.
xlii.
xliii.
xliv.
xlv.
xlvi.
xlvii.
xlviii.
xlix.
l.
li.
lii.
liii.
Part v.
liv.
lv.
lvi.
lvii.
lviii.
A/N about the book
lix.
lx.
lxi.
lxii.
lxiii.
lxiv.
lxv.
lxvi.
lxvii.
lxviii.
lxix.
lxx.
Part vi.
lxxi.
lxxii.
lxxiii.
lxxiv.
lxxv.
lxxvi.
lxxvii.
lxxviii.
lxxix.
lxxx.
lxxxi.
Part vii.
lxxxii.
lxxxiii.
lxxxiv.
lxxxv.
lxxxvi.
lxxxvii.
lxxxviii.
lxxxix.
xc.
xci.
xcii.
xciii.
xciv.
xcv.
xcvi.
xcvii.
xcviii.
xcix.
c.
ci.
cii.
ciii.
civ.
cv.
cvi.
cvii.
cviii.
Part viii.
cix.
cx.
cxi.
cxii.
cxiii.
cxiv.
cxv.
cxvi.
cxvii.
cxviii.
cxix.
cxx.
cxxi.
cxxii.
cxxiii.
cxxiv.
cxxv.
cxxvi.
cxxvii.
cxxix.
cxxx.
cxxxi.
Part ix.
Ending A.i.
Ending A. ii.
Ending A. iii.
Ending A. iv.
Ending B.i.
Ending B. ii.
Ending B. iii.
Ending B. iv.
Ending c.
A/N and bloopers.

cxxviii.

2.1K 114 72
Від imintheblackparade

Just a little warning that some of the chapter contains themes of religion; mostly the Seven religion, but it mimics Christianity in a way. If you are uncomfortable with that or it conflicts against your own views, please skip it. It's not there for long, so you should be in the clear and get a rough gist of what they spoke about after it's finished or just drop a comment and I can tell you. I hope that's okay!

Rhaenar and Aegon had taken an alternative route to the one they had originally planned as they crossed the open sea, taking their time as they trailed alongside the ships from White Harbour to Dragonstone. Aegon had urged the ships to go further from the land, his stature tense as he flew on top of Rhaenys, keeping Rhaenar and Rhaegal further from the shores as he flew the closest.

He wouldn't explain why, but Rhaenar let him do what he needed if it helped him feel better. After a week of flying, they could see Dragonstone in the distance, the sharp fortress growing closer with every beat of their wings. A smile took to her face as she spied home, her heart soaring as she turned to Aegon.

The ships sat below them, bobbing along as they split the sea with their hulls, white foam erupting around them. It had been fairly easy, Rhaenar and Aegon able to scout the view from above in sight of any oncoming fleets, and the boats following their course. It had taken them a little longer than usual because of the change, but it was better to be safe than sorry. "Race you back?" She cried out to him as she glanced over, grinning at Aegon as he clung tight to Rhaenys.

"Are you sure you want to race against us? Rhaenys may be small, but she's fast." He teased, smiling from ear to ear as he sat higher on her, his hands still locked around her horns.

"We can take them, can't we baby boy?" She called out to Leirion, reaching forward to pat against his neck. Leirion's spines shimmered in response, the black flesh moving like sails in the wind. Rhae smirked over to Aegon, before smoothing herself against Leirion, the dragon beneath her taking a large flap of his wings before pushing forward.

Aegon's mouth dropped. "Hey!" He cried out at the cheating move, pressing himself to Rhaenys as she chased after him, Rhaegal hot on their heels. Rhaenar laughed at the protest, the sound carrying through the wind as she let it muse at the braids, fluttering them in all directions, soaring past her face.

The three dragons took it in turns as they gained on one another, Rhaegal doing well considering how injured he was from the fight in the North. She kept her indigo eyes on him, watching for any discomfort as he pushed himself, desperate to gain the speed on the other two as he took the lead, the ships long behind them.

They were within touching distance of the greenery now, but Rhaenar swooped up, climbing into the sky as Leirion took her higher and higher. Her hands tightened on the rough horns, the seats left on the ships below as they ascended above the clouds.

They were above Dragonstone now, heading to the other side of the island as they passed the small farming communities, and almost touched the smaller islands that surrounded them. To be back in the air again, felt freeing; even if one of her babies was no longer with them and buried beneath Winterfell. They were home, and they were together; and that's all she could ask for besides being safe.

Rhaenar knew as she gazed over the horizon, at the sun that peaked up from the west, that everything would be okay for a while, that being home would be healing as she looked over to her brother.

Despite having gotten off to a rocky start, there was no one living that she trusted more than he. Aegon was blood, her eldest brother, her rock. She watched him from the back of Leirion, the way his braid fluttered in the wind, his midnight blue eyes alight in the same excitement. Being on the back of a dragon was different from anything they'd ever experienced, like a horse but a thousand times faster. "Do you think it's time to head back now?" He questioned, turning from her to gaze at the space between the ground below and the sky above, the place that felt like aether.

Rhae paused. "Just a moment longer." There would always be a moment longer to appreciate the beauty of the blue sky, of the thick rolling white clouds that surrounded them like a blanket. No birds, just them above it all.

"Who do you think won?" He teased as he urged Rhaenys closer, the pair hovering together as Rhaegal flew around them.

She rolled her eyes. "Me obviously." A booming laugh echoed from deep within him as he shook his head, his eyes sweeping the sky around them. Of course Rhae would claim that, she wouldn't admit she'd lost.

As Rhaenar took another deep breath in, her hands clutching the horns, she smiled at her brother. "It won't be long before we'll be in the Red Keep." She mused. "What do you suppose we do? Will you stay?"

He nodded. "If my Queen permits it." Aegon teased gently, reaching up to smooth back some of the flyaway hairs. "But I must warn you, she's not always kind; she could say no." Rhae laughed at his words, at the lightness on his face. "She can cast me to the streets, or exile me if I look at her wrong."

"Perhaps she'll cast you out to Dragonstone, Targaryen Princes are known to live upon the old rock." Her eyes closed, missing Aegon's look as he turned to stare at her. Dragonstone? She wanted to give him Dragonstone?

He shook his head. "My place is by your side, Rhae. The only thing that can split us now is death." Aegon sounded so sure in his words, and she wanted to believe them, but her relationship with Jon had placed a shimmer of doubt inside of her that he could betray her for his other family. Not that Aegon was likely too, but there was the potential. "And even death will struggle to keep me in the hells."

Her head tilted. "You believe you are going to the hells?"

"They don't believe me to be ruthless for nothing." He muttered, drawing her eyes back to opening as Rhaenar shot him a curious glance. What made him say that? The question was written over her face as he dodged her gaze. "I've done terrible things to get here, lost my way many times... If I am not confined to the hells, I hate to think who is." His voice lightened, but his eyes didn't.

Rhaenar frowned. "Why do you think you've done terrible things? Enough to get in the hells?" She didn't want to push him far, but it was hard to see a man like Aegon think of himself like such.

The tension shifted, growing heavier as it weighed on their shoulders. "There was a farmer's boy, no older than fifteen, like skin and bone." He muttered, eyes lost. "He was his father's only child, his brothers having gone to war and never returned afterwards... This boy..." He said, shaking his head. "He was weak, and I knew it. I killed him because I could, because I knew how defenceless he was and it made me feel powerful."

Rhaenar's heart dropped to her stomach, a stone settling in its place as she saw the remorse in the midnight blue. "In a single stab, I had stripped his father of an heir, a mother of her only surviving child... I ruined the last of that family because I wanted a taste of the power everyone said I should have."

"Aegon..."

"I know nothing can ever forgive what I did, nothing can justify it. And I can live with that, but he still haunts me, I still see him in my dreams, looming over me with this savaged body. I feel guilty." Aegon uttered. "I tried to help his father how I could, I worked on that farm from dawn till dusk, but it never helped. They passed away a few years back, with no one to inherit their wealth."

"Did you tell the father?" She asked him, he nodded. "And what did he do?"

Aegon glanced to his hands, to Rhaenys beneath him. "He forgave me."

"Then don't you think you shouldn't be beating yourself up over this? We've all done terrible things." Rhaenar had, she'd killed a woman she thought was her sister because she had tried to have her killed. Rhaenar had felt guilt, but she put it away for the thick of the night, when the darkness seemed never ending and the regrets of her life rose to the forefront of her mind.

Egg didn't see it that way as he straightened himself, clearing the hurt from his eyes. "We should get back, before they think something happened to us." And that was it, Egg didn't want to talk about it anymore as he turned to her, his stomach turning at the sympathy in her eyes. He didn't want that, he didn't deserve that, not after what he did. Rhaenar nodded, knowing better than to push him too far as he dipped below, Rhaegal between them as she followed behind her brother and the dragons.

As they broke through the clouds, and back to the familiarity of Dragonstone, she could see the ships docked within the harbour; men already filing from them. They'd made it back home safe, at least.

Rhaenys was first to dig her claws within the moist, pliable mud of Dragonstone, Rhaegal following behind, before Leirion jolted onto the grass, digging it up as he stumbled to a stop. His shoulder began to lower, Rhaenar patting his neck before slipping off. He had done well this past week, resting minimally and scouting not far from the ships for safety. There had been no sign of the Iron Fleet like they anticipated, and no one at Dragonstone to form an attack once they had reached the beach.

It was clear of men.

"Rhae!" Aegon called out with a frown as he watched Tyrion and Varys hurry over, their steps almost making them appear as though they were hardly touching the ground as they approached.

She turned as her boots hit the ground, greeting them both. "What is it?" The pair glanced upon each other.

"There's news from Westeros." That was good, right? "The Reach, Dorne, the Stormlands, and the Crownlands have all returned home safely." Tyrion started, her mood lifting. That was good news; their soldiers could begin to rest.

"I am glad to hear it." Rhae uttered, glancing to Aegon who looked equally as pleased.

But their faces did not appear pleased. "But with the staggered times of everyone leaving, it left them open to attack." Attack? The smile dropped from her lips. "The Westerlands were met halfway to the Westerlands and were engaged by the Lannister army - while better than being the Stormcrows, they did take substantial loss and..." It fell quiet again.

Not only had the largest parts of her army been attacked, but they had taken substantial loss. That wasn't good. "What is the and?"

"Missandei has been taken." Her muscles froze, her lids blinking furious over the indigo as she stared at the two. "Missandei is currently being held in the capital, and Cersei has requested your presence."

The taste of bile rose in her throat, her head shaking. No, no. Rhaenar couldn't allow it. "How long?" She croaked, her hand raising to touch at her neck.

"The news reached Dragonstone two days ago, she's been with Cersei for three." Varys informed her solemnly. Three! Three days she had most likely been spending locked up or beaten, tortured by Cersei sheerly for her association with Rhaenar. It made her sick to her stomach as she turned, her jaw clenching.

They had to go to King's Landing, and they had to go now. Before anything more could delay them and before Cersei could get restless and do more harm to Missandei. "Get back on the ship, we're sailing to King's Landing tonight."

The command settled through the air as Tyrion and Varys bowed their heads respectfully, Rhaenar already moving as she began to step forward, her boots digging into the earth as she stormed her way across the cliffs, the dragons screeching behind her. Aegon struggled to keep up as his wide strides matched her smaller, hurried steps; his head looking down at her. "Are you sure this is a good idea?" He questioned.

"She's my friend, and I promised her a life in Naath. She postponed it for me." Rhae muttered brokenly, her eyes swimming in the guilt that churned inside of her. "I need to get her back, and I need to do it safely."

Aegon's eyes softened, his head nodding. "And if you can't do that?" He asked.

"We bring the war to her, sooner rather than later. I'll have Varys write to our bannermen, and the Lords." It would take days, but they'd come descending upon King's Landing, ripping Cersei from her place. Rhaenar's lip curled back, her back straightening as she took the steps down from the castle to the beach below; the men instructed to turn around.

It would be the Golden Company who would protect them while they held a short parley, and she just hoped they'd be able to handle it. As the smooth stone made way to the gritty sand, her pace only picked up, knowing all they needed to do was cross the bay.

Her steps were almost like a sprint as the men that lingered around hurried back to the boats, the Targaryen party slipping into another before taking to the sea. She needed Missandei back.

The boat bobbed against the surface of the water as the night took a hold of them, her hand tightening as she gazed out of the window. The lights of King's Landing were in the distance, the Red Keep like a shimmering beacon as Rhaenar's eyes kept her focus upon it. Her friend was there, locked in chains once more. Rhae shook her head, glancing down.

"Your Grace, a word?" A voice called from behind her, her head turning to find Varys hesitating at the door. She nodded, permitting him entrance. "What is your plan when facing Cersei? I don't intend to misjudge your intentions, but you once asked me to look you in the eye if I thought you were failing her people."

Her head turned, their eyes meeting. The indigo was lined with red, bloodshot with dried tears coating her cheeks. "You believe I'm failing my people?"

"Rather the opposite, you've given the North independence, you've continually put your people forward, and at times you've made the hardest choice of sitting and waiting." Varys noted, moving further into the room as the door shut behind him, and he perched upon the chain, his arms crossed into his sleeves. "But I am debating if this is the best course of action, rushing in for Missandei when it could all be a trap, and we are sitting ducks to Cersei."

Rhae swallowed, her throat hoarse. "I suppose that's a risk we have to take, I'm not leaving her there."

"And I wouldn't expect you to. But at the meeting, I advise you to talk Cersei into a surrender before you unleash your army upon the city. Try to save innocent lives before the blood has to be shed." And Rhaenar would do that, she would listen to her advisors no matter how much she wanted Cersei gone from the world.

The brows furrowed over the indigo. "You know I would never kill innocents, Varys. I plan to continue on with what we agreed upon, but without the blockade in place and our time frame shifting. If she kills Missandei, I won't hesitate to let the army take the city district by district, helping those who live there as they go."

"And that is the right decision." He agreed.

It was quiet for a moment as her eyes turned back to the water, her gaze focusing on the dark water beneath them. Anything could have gone wrong at any time, but she hadn't anticipated that it would happen on land when so many armies were marching across Westeros. But, she supposed that was Cersei's way. Rhaenar had anticipated an attack by sea, and instead she turned upon her father and took Rhaenar's closest confidant. "I asked her to postpone leaving for Naath because I thought it was best to keep the army here, Varys." She admitted, closing her eyes as she tucked her knees into her chest.

"I know, Your Grace." He began. "But Missandei was happy to do it because she is your friend, we couldn't have known Cersei was prepared for such an attack."

Perhaps, Rhae thought; but she didn't feel so confident. "Fate has a funny way of presenting itself." She mumbled.

His brow rose. "You believe in fate, Your Grace?"

Did she? "It can be hard not to at times, why Aegon came into my life; why we joined together with Jon and learnt of our parentage. But at other times, I think it is nothing more than peculiar circumstances. Believing in destiny and fate, it leads people down dark paths. How are we to know what the world has planned...? We should just accept what we have." Rhae mumbled bitterly, her head still not turning. Why would fate bring Missandei here, if it was only going to cast her into chains again?

Because fate hadn't made that mistake, Rhaenar had; and she accepted it for what it was.

"You don't believe you are destined for anything?" His questions were getting stranger and stranger.

Rhae shook her head. "I worked to get here, things weren't just in place because of destiny - it was because I took them." Or perhaps destiny did have a say in all of this. "It doesn't matter now. What's done is done."

"I bid you farewell, Your Grace." She bowed her head in return, but kept to the window.

The morning had risen, and the party was quick to depart from the boat as the Golden Company flanked her, Aegon and Harry keeping to her sides as she left. They were back in Lannister territory, even if they would be standing at the gates - they were severely outnumbered. Varys and Tyrion hurried behind, the small number of guards they had brought with them, marching alongside.

Rhaenar had taken to a softer coat, and Aegon in his huge cloak as they strode across the pathways that would lead to the gates. It was different from where they had been before, this being on the fringes of King's Landing - the gateway that led to the city.

Her heart thumped in her ears, like a beating drum as it threatened against her ribcage, almost bursting from her chest the closer they got to the city. Anxiety filled her, churning at her insides as she could see the tall, mahogany gates. They loomed like a sinister presence, the boards above it standing Cersei and Euron as they gazed down at the incoming party.

But a small army already stood before the gates, their black armour catching in the cold sun as his head kept up on the girl dressed in black. Torgo was there, staring expectantly up at Missandei as she gazed down. She looked terrified, quivering as chains bound her once again.

Rhae took a step closer, her mouth falling open as she shook her head. There were archers standing along the wall, the Mountain besides Euron and Cersei. She swallowed, reaching out for Aegon as the weight of the situation crashed upon her shoulders. They weren't going to give up Missandei easily.

The gates opened, Cersei's hand Qyburn stepping out in his black robes as he approached, Tyrion began to move forward. Her breath grew more laboured and louder in her ear, her brows dipping as they met in the middle. "My lord." Their voices were soft as they carried across the courtyard.

"Princess Rhaenar demands Cersei's unconditional surrender and the immediate release of Missandei of Naath." Tyrion offered, like they agreed upon.

"Queen Cersei demands Rhaenar's unconditional surrender. If she refuses, Missandei of Naath will die here and now." Rhae's foot tapped across the ground as her heart leapt into her throat. She couldn't let Missandei die.

Tyrion didn't move. "Qyburn... you're a rational man." He tried to appeal.

"Or so I flatter myself, my lord." The man uttered.

"We have a chance here, perhaps our last chance, to avoid carnage." Carnage was an overshot, but they had agreed to play the worst case scenario card, try to appeal to Cersei if there was any ounce of human feeling within her. Qyburn nodded. "Help me. I don't want to see this city burn. I don't want to hear the screams of children burning alive." Tyrion played, Aegon's hand tightening around Rhaenar's as her eyes drifted up to Missandei.

The scared gaze met her own. "No, it is not a pleasant sound."

Tyrion's voice grew softer, barely carrying across. "I... I don't want to hear it. Help me save this city."

"My lord, I am only a mouthpiece for our Queen." It seemed every member of Cersei's party was heartless, cold both inside and out as they chose to disregard the lives of the innocent like they were nothing.

"Your Queen." Tyrion advised.

Qyburn's head cocked. "Cersei is Queen of the Seven Kingdoms. You are her subject." No, they were in open rebellion, they weren't her subjects anymore.

"Her reign is over. You understand this. Help her understand it." Tyrion implored, but it wasn't working.

"We understand nothing of the sort. Your Queen's dragons are vulnerable. Your armies are battle-weary and depleted, while ours have been reinforced with the Stormcrows..." They knew every inch of what Rhaenar's army was going through, how they would have success if they managed to land a shot upon the dragons. Tyrion disregarded him, stepping away from Qyburn to approach his sister, his body getting even further from safety now.

He walked straight to the gates, fear trembling his hands that he kept tight with a fierce fist. "Ready!" A voice called out, the archers moving to ready their bows. "Nock!" All arrows were aimed at Tyrion, her mind confused on what he was doing. "Draw!" Cersei's hand rose; hesitating. Rhaenar couldn't see him dead, and neither could Cersei as she lowered her hand, the bows lowering with her.

A small amount of tension cleared itself from her chest. "I know you don't care about your people. Why should you? They hate you and you hate them. But you're not a monster." He shouted to her, Rhae's brow raising along with those in the party as he appealed to her. "I know this. I know this because I've seen it. You've always loved your children. More than yourself, more than Jaime... more than anything." He was calling to her as a mother? "I beg you. If not for yourself, then for your child."

Rhaenar's eyes found Missandei's again. "Your reign is over, but that doesn't mean your life has to end. It doesn't mean your baby has to die." She could see the weakness in Cersei, at the debate that raged in her head before she raised her chin higher, and moved towards Missandei, muttering silently in her ear.

Rhae's feet carried her across before her mind could catch up, bringing her closer to the Lannister red banners that hung from the walls, and closer to Missandei's grasp. This needed to go okay, this needed to be smooth for Missandei to be returned to her. As soon as she was, she wouldn't hesitate to let them sail to Naath, her army be damned. This would be too close a call to her life.

Her dark wide eyes drew up from the wood, meeting Torgo's eyes before staring at Rhaenar as she swallowed deeply, trembling in her place. The tension had returned, the fear spiking at her blood, pumping it cold through her veins. Rhaenar held unforgiving panic and terror in her heart at what was to happen. "DRACARYS!" Missandei shouted, Rhaenar's iron will breaking as she watched the Mountain step forward, pulling out the blade from its sheath that was almost the same size as she.

In that moment, nothing mattered; not the Kingdom, not the people around her, only Missandei as the weight of the words carried through the air like steel; piercing the hearts of those around her. She was going to die unless Rhaenar did something.

"I surrender!" Rhae screamed. "I surrender." She wouldn't see another innocent murdered - she couldn't. Missandei was family, and Rhaenar had agreed that if she found the right reason to abandon her cause, she would. The implications afterwards she could deal with, right now she needed Missandei safe. It was as though the tension faded, wide eyes staring at her as she stepped forward. "I surrender." She repeated again shakily, just to make sure.

Tyrion breathed a sigh of relief, his shoulders slumping as Varys came up beside her. "Are you sure you mean as you say?" He questioned, Aegon equally as confused as Torgo and Harry looked at her.

Rhae nodded. "I can't watch her die."

Through the deliberation, a sick grin crossed Cersei's face, her body stepping forward in the red gown. Her head nodded. It was as the sword swiped through Missandei's neck, that Rhaenar felt the last of her heart break. She had no more to give these people, no more love inside of her as Missandei's body rushed through the air and hit the dusty ground beneath with a thud. "Too late." Cersei called out.

Torgo quivered beside her, swallowing back the sobs that wanted to leave his lips; the eyes of the Lannisters watching them.

Missandei was an innocent. Killed because of her association with Rhaenar, and she refused to forgive Cersei for such an act. How could she care for her life when she had lost so many? When she had given so many people parts of her and they treated it as though it was nothing? Missandei would never get her wish; she would never feel the warmth upon her face from the sun, or the wind rustle within her curls; or the touch of her lover upon her skin. Life had been so cruelly taken from her, and Rhae couldn't help but vow to take Cersei's in such a way.

Making her way forward, she swallowed deeply as she grasped hold of Missandei's body, blood seeping from where her head had once met her neck. Torgo placed his arms beneath it, carrying it from the scene as Rhaenar clutched her head from the ground. She could feel Missandei's curls in her hand, the blood caking them slightly as her hands rested beneath the flesh. Rhaenar couldn't forget it.

Her laugh would never echo through the halls, her smile never seen again. Rhaenar didn't care if blood was staining her coat; she cared that Missandei had died up there, alone and in chains. Rhaenar had made her a promise, one that she hadn't kept.

Her shoulders shook but she couldn't look down, she wouldn't. She wanted an image of Missandei happy and alive, not dead and bleeding. The pair carried her away, eyes shifting to watch them as Tyrion realised what that meant. The war would be coming to King's Landing, and it would be Cersei's fault.

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

109K 3.6K 120
Where three broken people find solace in each other. Katarina stark is the eldest child of Catelyn and Ned stark but she was flawed. With only one l...
192K 6.3K 46
Robert's Rebellion is over and it has left Viserra Stark orphaned. The daughter of Brandon Stark and Elaena Targaryen has survived the war and was le...
160K 4.9K 88
Rhaenyra Eliana Martell Targaryen is the eldest child of Prince Rhaegar Targaryen and Princess Elia Martell. She was adored throughout the whole seve...
31.1K 527 16
"Who the hell are you?!" She asked the other team leader "I should be asking you the same question!" The older agent retorted They both glar...