The Unbroken

By Gingers_Moon_

She's a bright shining star. The apple of her parents' eyes. The wonder kid in her school. The Angel in town... More

Warning
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
Epilogue
Afterword
Legend's

XXXVII

147 13 1
By Gingers_Moon_

The triplets have made a new friend. They've been running in circles across the open space for hours with the small girl I met the other day. The rest of us have been sitting on the floor trying to form a plan to help the pack short and long term.

Chris wants them to understand the many risks of staying pack of Rogue's without the protection of a real Alpha and a safe place to live that includes warmth, food and clean water. They're currently an easy target to any Hunters wandering through town. They do get what we're saying but don't have anyone to follow, until we can find an Alpha for them, they're not going anywhere.

"What about Zoe?" My eyebrow shoots up to my hairline at Oliver's awful suggestion. However, they're all seriously considering it. "Dinnie mek 'at gizz. It dis mek seense, Zo. Thay cleerly lek ye, an' trow ye."

"It's a complicated concept. One, there isn't enough space for them to stay, the land around us just isn't big enough. Two, a lot of Humans walk by, it will put them at risk."

"This is you, Zo. I bet you already have a plan." My eyebrows change position, knitting together in an attempt to ignore the obvious fact from Ant's mouth. "Well... I could expand the private property signs and label it a nature preserve which would allow them to roam in Wolf form without surprising anyone. I could speak to the government about becoming their Alpha, they'd allow it to reduce Rogue's and since I can provide for them without any issues. So theoretically, yes. Despite that, there's still a lot of factors to consider."

"Zoe, you're already attached to them and won't leave willingly without them." Chris taps my shoulder, smiling. "I'll talk to Lex, and the kids. Although, I doubt the terrors want to leave their new buddy." We peer over to the three rolling around with the tiny lass. "Then it is settled. You'll talk to them and if they agree, they're going with you."

Since they're certain of this plan, I decide that it is time to head back to the house. Wiping the mud off of my bleached jeans, I move over to my nutty children. The two playful loons stop in the middle of pinning their friend in a cute battle. "It's time to go." They start whining, their little brother trotting to my side. "You can play again later." Knowing that I keep to my promises, they lick her snout before skipping to my right.

I let them hop along in their Wolf forms, not seeing a reason for them to change back since they're happy. Halfway to the house, something makes me stop. It never takes them long to notice my change in moods. Ame and Ash paw at my ankles while Dyl crouches to the ground.

"I need you to go to the house on your own. Ame, you know the way best, lead the way. If you get lost, climb into a tree and stay there until I find you. No detours, go on." I rub their heads, kiss their cheeks and send them on their way. I trust Ame to find the way, she's always mapping routes in her head. Ash will keep them safe, he's good at sensing danger. Dyl is good with nature, learning to track and be in tune with it in all circumstances which will help them find a secure place to stay if something happens.

Once they are out of sight, I start stripping off my clothing, folding and hiding them in a tree branch to collect later. Swiftly changing form, I press my nose to the floor, sifting through the many smells until the one that caught my attention appears.

I've learnt every resident Wolf and Human's scents, making it obvious when something is out of place. Most odours around here are either woodsy or like cheap perfume. I'm surrounded by nature at home, I know the aroma of a forest. This one stands out like a sore thumb. It's fallen rain mixed with paper and youth. It's also similar to two Wolves I know, the genetic whiff is the same.

Poking my muzzle in the air, I tail the moving animal. The only thing I'm getting from them is that they are very skilled at finding their way around the trees. They're leading me out of town and into unclaimed land between the nearby town and ours.

Seemingly picking up on not being outnumbered, they come to a stop in front of a petite spring river. Flicking through all connected emotions, I notice Lex's concern. I send calming waves through the link before turning back to the being opposite.

The Wolf lowers their front half, displaying their will to fight me for chasing them home. They're no danger to me, just threatened and defending themselves. Pushing as much of my body against the grass as I am able to, I show my submission. Too much has occurred with Rogue's lately, I don't want to piss another off my mistake.

Staying put, I wait for her to approach at her own pace. Inhaling the air around us, she cautiously strides over on long legs, circling me to examine my body language. She sits on her hind legs in front, allowing me to stand and shake out my fur.

Her multi brown coat puffs as another presence makes themselves known. She jumps to her feet to defend though I jog up to her side, nudging at her neck with my nose to keep the mood serene with a trick I learnt a couple of years ago.

There have been many times in the past when a Rogue has come near our home. I always try to talk to them before Lex realises since she has no problem with tearing them limb from limb. As soon as I'm trusted enough to touch them, she steps down.

The girl beside me mimics the action, informing that she is no longer troubled by us or warning us to stay away. Trotting over to my Mate, I lick her cheek a few times.

No longer fussed about our existence, the girl drops to the floor. Meanwhile, Alexis disappears behind a tree, returning fully dressed with a bag she must have been carrying around with her. She tips out one of her long shirts and some shorts for me to wiggle into. I drag my hair into a ponytail with the use of the scrunchy keyring on the bag.

"My name's Zoe, this is my Mate Alexis." I say, attaching the taller woman to my waist to restrain her intimidation. I throw over a jumper and joggers from the bottom of the carrier to the female in case she wants to shift back to talk.

She wavers at the offer for a moment before jumping into the long grass that covers most of her body. As soon as she stands, I can tell where the rest of this is going. She has the signature brown hair and tanned skin. Though her eyes are peacock rather than soot. I pass her another hair tie for the uncontrollable waves that don't appear to have seen a hairbrush in years.

Lex's arms tighten on my hips when noticing my intense gaze searching the young girl, possessive idiot. Reaching my hand back and up to her head, I begin to scratch behind her ear. What a week this has been.

"You're a Rogue, right? And a lone Wolf. From age five?" Her head moves up and down to my assumptions, eyeing us wearily. "Clara?" I ask, smirking. The grip on me threatens to break a bone. "I didn't think the calling tether's would work." I scoff. Two years ago I learnt I can draw someone to a place or person, but didn't think it would work long distance.

"I'll let you deal with this one." Shoving the shocked woman in front of me, I plop down under a tree's shadow.

My Love gradually moves closer, making Clara shy away from the dominating height and build. She isn't much smaller than Lex, but enough to be intimidated. "Alexis? As in Alexis Young?" Her soft voice is breathy. "Yeah. I have a brother called Joshua Young and a sister, Clara Young." They share similar expressions, their relief and surprise almost identical - Josh is clearly more expressive than they are.

"Prove it." The smaller female steps back, refusing to meet her eyes. "You used to say your favourite book was Disney's Cinderella when it was actually Grimm Fairy tales." She's completely confident in her answer, enough to make the lass cry. "I would always let you blow out my birthday candles. Josh used to dress up in your Princess dresses to cheer you up on bad days." She continues, letting her own tears drip onto her shirt.

They don't waste another minute, clinging onto each other while sinking to the floor in a snotty hug. Our Goddess must have helped in doing this, it can't be down to the tethers I put out, that feels impossible. They deserve to be reunited, all of them. I don't think any force in the world is going to tear them away again.

Taking my leave to allow them time, I start heading back to town with the bag over my shoulder. I'm not sure Clara is going to be comfortable coming back with us, but I'll leave that to Lex. Even so, I'm certain she's going to want to see Josh again after the way they split.

Wiping away the minimal sweat on my brow from the sprint back, I walk into the hallway to be swamped by the mini Wolves. The three of them rub against my legs, purring to express the joy that I'm safe.

"Josh?" I call into the near silent house, "Here." He's in the kitchen. Shuffling out of the small crowd, I push onto the counter in front of him. "I found Clara. She's perfectly fine, and really defensive. She's beautiful too." The pressure of air leaving his lungs, blows back a strand of my hair. "Alexis is with her at the moment. I believe they'll be back here soon enough."

"How? We're all in the same place at the same time, it doesn't make sense."

"A part of me thinks I did it. I learnt to send signals down the tethers I have to people. I sent a call down Lex's to anyone she was close to. It creates a sense of longing in the receiver, drawing them to wherever she is. The majority believes it was our Goddess knowing it was time to reunite the three of you." I pause to clean up his damp cheeks, "Her scent stood out in the forest. The three of you share a tree-like smell."

Caterpillar joins us, sliding onto his lap and kissing his cheek. A wide grin reveals his gap teeth. "Oh, Fawn is upstairs and wants to speak to you." Car glances out the corner of his eye, his attention remaining on the excited male.

Thanking the male, I ruffle his hair. I have to step around the wrestling banes, giggling at Dylan rolling his eyes at the lunatics. I honestly find it hilarious that he's vastly different to Ame and Ash while all being identical.

Reaching my Mother's old work space, I rap on the door a few times before entering. A crying teen is pressing her back to the desk, face hidden in her knees. To give us some privacy, I lock the door behind me then rush over.

Cautiously lowering myself on the rug beside her, she turns to hide in my neck where she has always been allowed to let her emotions out. Knowing she needs time, I stroke through her hair, lightly kissing her temple.

"It's alright, Lamb. Take your time. Deep breaths, in and out... good girl." I collect her tears on my sleeve, running my finger along her nose in the process.

"Zo?" Her bloodshot eyes are still brimming with tears. Stretching to yank the tissues off of the surface above us, it bounces off of her head which makes her laugh. My maternal nature continues to rule as I clean her face, drying all moisture and cleaning up her runny nose. "All better." I press my lips to her forehead.

She releases her clutch, changing to lay the back of her head on my thighs. "What is it, Lamb?" She stares up to the ceiling, clicking her tongue a couple of times. "I was seeing someone, they broke it off this morning." She swallows, hoping it will stop her chin from wobbling. "How long were you together?"

"Five months. We snuck around a lot, Leah and Chris have no idea about it. I couldn't find the courage to tell them. It's the reason they broke up with me." Her hands tremble against her stomach. Catching one in my hand, I let her squeeze out the rising anger. "I could deal with telling about being with someone, but not who?"

"Why's that?"

"You and your friends always found it so easy. I just don't know what to say." I scowl back, not understanding what we found 'easy'. Life hasn't been kind to any of us. "I need you to tell me what you're referring to, Lamb. We haven't found many things that simple."

She shuts her eyes, delving deep for a strand of bravery that I know she has. I've seen her stand up to people, especially those that bullied Lyra. "I don't know how to tell them that I like girls, only girls."

"Fawn..." I lift her up, sitting her between my legs to face me. Brushing back some of her curls, "There is nothing to be scared of. No one will mind, and you know that already, otherwise you wouldn't have told me or even started seeing someone. When I came out as Bi, I was in High School and got a lot of abuse from my year group. Holly came out as Demi in College and everyone there thought she just needed to figure herself out. In my group, before we met Leah and Chris, only two of us are straight. You surround yourself with people that will love you no matter what." Catching my breath, I trail my knuckle against her cheek. "Carter knew we'd accept him but was still frightened, and that is normal. You're allowed to be afraid, even if there is no need. There will always be one person that will love you unconditionally."

She jumps into my arms, muttering her thanks over and over in my ear. "Can I come with you?" I hesitate, leaning away from her. "Pardon?"

"I hate this town. I'm not going anywhere with my education, I've been kicked out too many times and hate academics. No one will hire me, my reputation has made sure of that. I don't want to be stuck here with nowhere to go. If I live with you, I can start fresh where no one knows me." Those words sound familiar. "We can talk to Chris and Leah, they are still your Guardian's for four more months. I have no objections of course, but you do need to think this through."

Accepting the proposal, she snuggles back into my chest. Her hand plays with mine, playing my fingers like a piano. Everything is getting too much for my brain. This week has been a lot to process.

I'm not entirely stunned by her secret, I witnessed her trying to sneak a girl into her house last year on one of our visits. I doubt they were seeing each other, I've never heard or seen her again. This new lass though, was obviously important to her or she wouldn't be this heartbroken. When she gets attached, you need to be careful if you want to exit her life because she will blow - meds can only do so much.

What is hurting my mind is all of the considerations I have to decide on. The Rogue pack needs a home and Alpha, I can be that for them but it is a big commitment. Clara and Josh will be coming back with us, it is highly unlikely that they'll leave each other's sides for a while. That also means Carter will be living with us now. I've also got twins on the way. Now Fawn wants to live with us. I really need a lie down.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

633K 34.6K 67
Time didn't matter to her. She got up when the sun did and tried to sleep when the sun went down. because of this seemingly endlessness, she's forgot...
109K 4.6K 30
"Silly boy - you dare ask me that question?" I frown at him instantly - taken aback when he gripped my chin. Yanking me close enough towards him, ou...
118K 5.5K 47
"I am visiting under unusual circumstances. I won't bore you with the details but I have lost something of mine and I was hoping you could help me fi...
8.2K 478 33
BOOK 2 Of Sold to the Alpha - SUBMITTED TO THE 2023 WATTY AWARDS My world stopped, it froze and broke like the axis it had been spinning on had tilte...