The Unbroken

By Gingers_Moon_

She's a bright shining star. The apple of her parents' eyes. The wonder kid in her school. The Angel in town... More

Warning
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
Epilogue
Afterword
Legend's

XVI

240 18 0
By Gingers_Moon_

As soon as we begin pulling up in front of Chris' house, Oliver starts bouncing giddily like the little boy he is upon spotting Rosie waiting for us. She's leaning against the wall, watching patiently while we park in my usual spot. Beside each of her ankles is a bag, my black duffle on the left and Ollie's red rucksack to the right. She smiles when we come to a stop, glad to be greeting us back to our crappy town.

Annoyingly, the traffic had been in a horrific state for the last half hour. It took close to five hours to get by due to the road being closed for two hours to clear the accident. A lorry crashed into the side railings, effectively blocking off the entire road. A service came to pick it up, but the damage meant only one side of the motorway could be opened up again. Meaning, they were letting people through two cars at a time - or so it felt. We'd been lucky enough to end up at the back of the queue and no one would let us merge.

We spent the extra time playing childish games to prevent death by boredom. Ollie downed a large coffee with our dinner, he was basically vibrating until I let him run it off in the forest with a game of tag while we waited for the tow truck. We managed to creep out a lot of drivers when playing 'I spy' by looking in their windows and not at the road when moving. However, the massive distraction completely demolished his driving anxiety.

The boy almost knocks us over when tumbling off of the bike to get to Ro. His run is clumsy from being unaware that he has feet. His helmet is tossed back to me, expecting that I catch it which I barely manage to do. She practically sparkles as she giggles at his immature antics of stumbling over himself with eagerness to wrap her up in his arms. It is cute to witness, they're a sickly sweet couple but I love it.

Snatching her up, she's spun in a dramatic circle full of happiness and laughter. You'd think it has been months since they last saw each other, not a mere thirty-six hours.

I don't say anything, allowing them time for their intense make out session. I spend the time attaching the helmets and getting everything out or away depending on what it is.

When finally looking up, I find the two of them standing by my side. She's pushed him behind her where he clings in delight. Cheerfully nuzzling into her neck, tiny whimpers of satisfaction soften my heart.

"I suggest the two of you go straight to the court. Chris is waiting, less than impressed." Her sad smile etched on her lips. I groan, "I thought you were going to talk to him?"

"I tried but he's already in a bad mood. He's gone berserk over your 'uncalled' for absence and thinks I'm lying to cover for you." The boy's eyes gloss at the idea of someone being mad at him. "I'll deal with it." I say while raking my fingers in my hair to redo it.

They follow as I lead, heading straight for the garden. Honestly, men infuriate me at times. Not necessarily just men, but leaders that think their way is the only right way and that we have to be there at their beck and call.

I turn back to them when I hear a little squeal, seeing him tickling her sides for something or other. All is fine until I bump into the back of the very large man raging about responsibility.

The squared back sends me tumbling to the ground where I bruise my back and butt. My grunt catches everyone's attention, all beady eyes staring into my skull while I mutter to myself about timing. From my peripheral, I can see Oliver trying to slyly make an exit from the fuming man glaring down at me.

"Hold it right there!" His finger points to the child who gazes at his feet respectfully submitting.

I take my sweet time to get back up, brushing myself off and cracking my back. I lean down to collect my bag, seemingly infuriating him further by moving leisurely. He can fucking wait.

"Where were you yesterday? You're wrong if you think you can miss compulsory training just because you can't be bothered." It's surprising how contradictory his tone is to his demeanour. Despite speaking harshly, it is still kind. Meanwhile, to anyone with half an imagination, steam could be stemming from his ears. "Need I remind you that there are Hunters tracking us down?"

"We were out of town." Just remembering the reason for the trip resurrects the emptiness and mourning in my heart, tugging at my emotional control. Upon sensing my discomfort, Ollie dashes to my side and wraps his arm around my waist for a side hug. Using the firm placement, he rubs up and down my ribs or stomach gently.

"So you missed an important session to go on a spontaneous trip? Is partying more important than staying alive to you? We have to stay together and work as a pack, or we're all screwed!"

"It's not like that. Zoe -"

"- So it was her idea? I know she's your best friend, but I expect better of you than to let her drag you down, Oliver." Who the Hell does he think he is to assume I'm a toxic friend? I am quite possibly one of the least toxic people someone could have in their life. And I have no interest in partying, neither does Ollie, so that conclusion is utterly ridiculous. "Shut up!" Honestly, his glare could melt my brain if I let it. I can feel the acid in his eyes searing into my head as punishment for talking back, and being disrespectful.

Almost the entire pack has gone silent from curiosity for the exchange, nosy idiots. They've gradually moved closer to observe the stand off between a longtime Alpha and a newbie Beta. All of the attention has Oliver squirming against my hip, the focus should never be on him for more than a second or he'll break down - as his pack, they should know this. Yet, he's loyal and refuses to leave my side despite his instincts telling him to cower. Stretching my own arm around his back, I trail my fingers against his shirt while creating patterns to distract him with my touch rather than his surroundings.

"Watch your tone with me, Zoe." I hear the command, and nod my head while inhaling deeply. "What did you expect though? It's not like you're trying to listen to us, I need you to be quiet for a few minutes while we explain. I can tell you've been having a shit day, but don't take it out on us."

"I have a reason to be mad with the two of you, it isn't exactly uncalled for. You were late to your first day of training, you missed yesterday while causing Oliver to miss too, and you're late today." This man is really starting to bug me. "It's not like I planned for any of that to occur, but shit happens that I can't work around. I can't prevent traffic, car crashes or coursework."

"Don't speak to me like that. I am in control here, I am your Alpha."

"I'm speaking to you as calmly as I can with you making assumptions. It isn't even like I asked to be dragged into this world and placed below you. Just four weeks ago, everything in my life was normal. Then I got bitten and my life has gone to Hell since then. Back then, my only concern was my grades and taking care of my family. Now I have to fear being hunted and accept being treated like an animal. And while I'm at it, don't even dare drag Ollie into this. He is the loyalest friend anyone could ask for and only ever wants to do good." Whenever I am set off, it is near impossible to stop. "I know these weeks have been difficult for you, but that isn't an excuse!"

"Excuse? Difficult? Are you stupid? That is the biggest understatement I have heard in life. You have no idea what goes into one of my typical days, so how dare you assume that I am coming up with lies about what I'm doing or going through." Thankfully, I never yell when mad. I am the calm angry type, like a pissed off Mother.

"It isn't my fault you got pulled into all of this but I am trying my best to keep you safe and alive!"

"I never said it was your fault. Though I can take care of myself, I've been doing it for years because I rarely had to depend on anyone. If you want to discuss how much I've been fucking up, then you don't have to, I have plenty of guilt over that without you yelling at me for it. Back off." Oliver's small whimpers allow me to realise I've begun clawing at his back through the upset and offence.

Quickly regaining control, I glower at the taller man while resting my hand on the nervous male's hip. I can feel his sadness over not allowing me to rely on others since he has always tried to be there for me, but I am far more concerned with his health - mental, emotional and physical.

"Just explain where you've been." He growls, for some reason he's still annoyed at me. "We were trying until you cut us off."

"What did I say about your tone?" The clear threat in his words draws a long growl from my own chest. "You are not my Father, stop trying to discipline me."

"I doubt your Father would approve of you speaking to someone like this!" He snaps my fuse. Oliver instantly turns to soothe me but is too slow, "We'll never know since he's currently being sliced up in a morgue right next to my Mother! They're the ones taking a trip, all the way to the after life and never to return! That's where we were, identifying the corpses of my dead parents. Sorry I missed your shitty training session to see the majority of my life and sanity crumble! That's clearly my fault, right?" I finally inhale after everything being spewed into furious daggers heading straight for the caring man who's trying to look out for me.

The large Sweetheart slips behind me, slumping himself over my shoulders to cover me with his loving blanket of warmth. Tears started spilling from my eyes somewhere along the way, I feel myself wiping them away despite not being conscious of my movements. What is happening to me? I'm emotional, but I thought I was past this after yesterday. I can't keep letting the last few days' events dictate my life and actions.

"Zoe -" I cover his mouth, not being able to hear more than the sympathy in my name. "Please, don't. I'm sorry for my behaviour. Just leave it at that." My voice quivers, pained and soulless.

"Ollie, take her to my office, I'll be there in a few minutes." He squeezes my shoulder then turns, "The rest of you, stop gawking and get in a line!"

The rush of the air also obeys the Alpha's order like the scared little pups. Hearing all of their feet on the concrete makes me scoff, they're acting like he's angry with them which he isn't, anyone can see that.

Oliver moves in front of me before hauling me onto his back where I slump. The tight hold on my thighs is grounding, stopping me from drifting into another world full of sorrow and hatred. His emotions are crashing into me, a choppy ocean of anxiety and concern that threatens to drown him if not for the protective raft supporting him while holding me above the water.

Desperate to comfort him in return, I rub my nose against his neck while kissing below his ear occasionally. We run off of each other's emotions, if I'm distressed then he's crying, if he's panicking then I'm tense and nurturing.

My eyes slip close, unaware of our location until the strong smell of paper and lavender from the oil incense on his desk hits my senses. I'm lowered onto the couch when I peel open my eyelids. My legs pull up to the cushions, knees pointing towards the door as I rest my head on the soft shoulder of my support pillow that is in the form of another person.

Arms tighten around my chest and back. A gentle scratch trails up and down my neck, tickling enough to make me squirm. A tiny weight hits my scalp, the big softie is also breaking down above me. "You don't need to cry." I sit up, wiping my under eyes before clearing up his. "You know I'm a crier, don't be mean."

"Never." I settle back down, my ear pressing to his heart. His cheek lands on my head, his inhales absorbing my scent that I've learnt keeps him sane.

"I think the last time we cried together like this was when I came out and the bullies came at me." I giggle, sniffling up my blocked nose. "They were always mongrels." I shove him away with a pout, "Don't be rude, they had their own problems." He drags me back into his arms without any protest on my side.

"They caused you so much inner torment, yet you constantly defend them." He grumbles. "Because I always felt how much they were hurting inside. One was being abused, one was failing his classes, and the rest had their own things to deal with. They wouldn't tell anyone they were in pain because no one cared."

"You're too kind."

"I care, I give love to the people that are breaking." I mutter, making him hum. "When aren't you caring for someone?" It's a rhetorical question, though I still have an answer to lighten the mood, "When I'm bullying one of you lot."

"Nope, doesn't count. The number of times you've been teasing Ant while still straightening out Jer or Car's hair and clothes. You're a Mother Hen, no way around that." With that in mind, I genuinely can't think of a day I have let someone suffer from a small inconvenience. "Whatever." I slap his thigh.

He hands me a box of tissues to scrub off my salt streaks, he lets me clean him up also. The roughness leads to him tackling me to the sofa in a tickle war.

"I'm glad you're having fun." We simultaneously jump at the unexpected scratchy voice.

With a few cautious tentative steps, he's crouching in front of us and setting his palms on our knees. The weak smile reminds me of an apologetic toddler whose toy has been confiscated for bad behaviour.

"I'm truly sorry, Zoe, and to you, Oliver. I shouldn't have reacted like I did, I sometimes forget to reign in the authoritative animal part of me." His eyes don't meet ours, remaining on the carpet. I shuffle forward, covering his knuckles and kissing his cheek. "You're forgiven. You were looking out for everyone, us included. I don't want to let anyone down or be a liability, I know I can't miss sessions for that reason."

"Trust me when I say you're not. You are one of the strongest member's here. You're a skilled fighter with incredible strength and endurance. You are respectful and protective. Your intelligence is remarkable. You are a perfect addition to this pack." Another tear slips down my cheek at the honesty in his words, "Thank you." I press our foreheads together.

"Can I know what happened?" He eventually asks, previously enjoying the tender moment.

Just like before, I sink into Ollie's hold. He lets me love his embrace without any complaints, adoring the affection despite the situation. Space is created for the older man. He takes the hint, dropping down to the side of me while I practically sit on Oliver's lap.

"I got a call from an Officer in Turndon yesterday morning, early. He informed me that my parents had been involved in a car accident Saturday night on their way to the airport." I swallow the rising bile after the last word. "She sent me the diagnostics while we were at McDonalds. The crash caused instant death, no suffering whatsoever." Ollie stares at me with a raised brow, he wasn't aware she messaged me.

"Anyway, we should get back to training." I cough. They both freeze, sharing a look before turning to reply. "Are you sure? You've dealt with a lot the last few nights." Chris lowers his head to meet my gaze. "I can't sit around on my arse feeling sorry for myself. I need to get this out of my system and move on with my life." The sight of pride on his face brings butterflies into my heart.

"Ok then. Go change and meet me outside." On the same wavelength, Oliver and I look at each other, a certain playful twinkle in our eyes. Pushing past a chuckling Chris who has already figured out what we're planning, we race each other down to the changing rooms, trying to knock each other over in our ambition for gaining the title of being the fastest runner which is always going to be me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

104K 5.9K 40
Pearl Blankenship, an autistic investigative journalist, witnesses the end of the world. Before the nuclear fallout can kill her, a mysterious being...
58 5 8
I had never fit in anywhere. If you had white hair and freakishly bright silver eyes, that people swear swirls sometimes, that'd be a pretty difficul...
94 15 16
In a world where humans are paired with familiars, two wayward souls find themselves entangled in a battle that threatens life as they know it. ****...
10.3K 939 100
"Three weeks. That's how long I got to have drama-free. I'm not sure what is happening to me or to Oakwood. Nothing's the same since I rolled into to...