Terminus Part I: The Journey...

Von roogymirror

Detective James Baron became an outlaw after asking the wrong questions. After four years of running on land... Mehr

Author's Note
Chapter 1: Detective / Pirate
Chapter 2: A Claim to Fame
Chapter 3: The Journey Begins
Chapter 4: Something That Matters
Chapter 5: Burundi, the Fish Market
Chapter 6: The Rough-House Pirates
Chapter 7: The No-Talent Chef
Chapter 8: Rival Gangs
Chapter 9: Motorcycle Mystery
Chapter 10: Deductive Unreasoning
Chapter 11: Criminal Action
Chapter 12: Barracuda
Chapter 13: To Jail or Not To Jail
Chapter 14: Aftermath of the Mistrial
Chapter 15: Piscology
Chapter 16: Persimmon's Decision
Chapter 17: The Phobos Sea
Chapter 18: Angler
Chapter 19: Prisoner
Chapter 20: Run, Cameron, Run
Chapter 21: Sabotage By Half
Chapter 22: The Promised Planet
Chapter 23: Guarded Treasure
Chapter 24: Invasion
Chapter 25: The Million
Chapter 26: Brothers
Chapter 27: 500
Chapter 28: The Phobos Sea Reprise
Chapter 29: Journey to the Hephaestus Sea
Chapter 30: Fort Barronym
Chapter 31: Rebels
Chapter 32: Second Chance
Chapter 33: Runaways
Chapter 34: The House in Satchanville
Chapter 35: Seven Noblemen
Chapter 36: Dinosaurs
Chapter 37: The Unexpected
Chapter 38: Recovery
Chapter 39: Forebaggage
Chapter 40: Halberd the Hero
Chapter 41: The Balance of Power
Chapter 42: The Hephaestus Sea
Chapter 43: The Guiding Fog and Septagon Island
Chapter 44: Andy the Celestial Turtle
Chapter 45: The Satchanville Copperheads
Chapter 46: Innovation Bay
Chapter 47: The Emerald City
Chapter 48: Mind Over Matter
Chapter 49: Left Unsolved
Chapter 50: Martin Magick
Chapter 51: Departure
Chapter 52: The Hephaestus Sea Reprise
Chapter 53: The Great Green Gamut
Chapter 54: A Whistler, A Lyrebird, and A Siren
Chapter 55: Fighting With Words
Chapter 56: Grudge the Gorilla
Chapter 57: The Sound of Fear and Doubt
Chapter 58: Wins and Losses
Chapter 59: The Atlas Sea
Chapter 60: Isaac Malevolo
Chapter 61: Snyke's Penitentiary
Chapter 62: The Unusual Suspects
Chapter 63: Salvador
Chapter 64: The Gatekeeper, Zephyr
Chapter 65: Reunions
Chapter 66: Maximum Insecurity
Chapter 67: Virtual Capacity
Chapter 68: Conduit Training
Chapter 69: Back Then
Chapter 70: Terminus Est Initium
Chapter 71: History Made
Chapter 73: The Atlas Sea Reprise
Chapter 74: New Leadership
Chapter 75: The End of An Era

Chapter 72: Preparations

0 0 0
Von roogymirror

 The Detective Pirates set sail on the eighth of October, with all eleven of their crew members in tow, plus Crock's old friend, Munge. The time had come to discuss her future plans.

"Well, I was searching for Alessandra, but now that I think about it, Duddlewane would be a great place to start," said Munge. "That would mean going to the Terminus."

"You should come with us then, nutmeg," said Crock.

"You would invite me, wouldn't you?"

"Look, you're a stranger to me," said James. "But if you know as much about navigation as my mother did, it might be helpful having you around."

"Well, I know how to navigate the Terminus. Crock can tell you all about it," said Munge.

As the Detective crew discussed whether or not Munge should join them, Rudikan Sender met with the high-ranking Navy and Army officers.

"Listen up, we have news of every prisoner that broke free from Snyke's Penitentiary yesterday. This is a total of exactly nine thousand, nine hundred and eighty seven.

"The records say ten thousand, but that is simply an estimate, and not exact numbers.

"Due to the sheer volume of escaped prisoners, it would be quite the undertaking to reassign bounties to all of them.

"Therefore, our focus will be on important individuals, who were known to be instrumental in this escape."

The following bounties were then issued, among others:

Bluebeard: Five hundred million onits.

Discharge: Two hundred million.

Gate Fredericks: Seven hundred and twenty five million.

Salvador Kings: One hundred and fifty million.

Zephyr: One billion.

Laura Frankenstein: Eight hundred million.

Winona Savvy: Nine hundred million.

James Baron: Seven hundred million.

Crock Turnbull: Six hundred million.

Munge: Five hundred million.

"As you can see from these new numbers, Indigo International alumni are considered the most dangerous, followed by those of the Gentleman's Club. The most dangerous pirate however, the one we can no longer afford to ignore, is Gate Fredericks."

"Mister Sender, sir, what of James Baron and his crew?" asked Esther 'Whistler' Maddock.

"Collectively, they pose a great threat. James is travelling with Crock Turnbull and Munge, two troublemakers from a previous era. The crew's total bounty is currently three billion onits."

By a unanimous decision, Munge was welcomed into the Detective Pirates, as their navigator. As they sailed on toward the Gogh Strait, the crew began their most rigorous training regimen yet. James was determined to push his limits, and the rest of the crew felt the same way.

Chapter had been meditating in a cave for the past day, with the intent of searching himself for the next move.

I have been planning something, I am a part of something, what am I, I know where I am going.

Half of the world was covered in oceans, these were the Seven Seas: Phobos, Hephaestus, Atlas, Hermes, North, South, and Terminus. The Seven Seas were surrounded by two massive continents: Pallanos and Theminos. On the other half of the world, a massive expanse of dry land, the Dry Half. This anomalous desert was sometimes called the Tartarus Sea or the Hades Sea, though neither were particularly common.

In the midst of this vast land, a towering prison, Fort Tartarus, was built. Its defences were beyond that of Snyke's, not only was it near impossible to escape the prison itself, but the land that surrounded it was a scorching desert with bloodthirsty mutant reptile-fish roaming around.

Anyone attempting a breakout would need access to an aerial vehicle, and the space on top of the prison, a place reserved for staff and authorised guests.

The prison had nine floors, each for different levels of criminal, and was said to be the recreation of the Underworld.

Chapter had made up his mind. On the first of January, his infiltration of Fort Tartarus would begin.

Underneath the Terminus Sea, the Whale was on its way to its next destination. Redfish and Bluefish were reading the news on their computer screens, looking out mostly for information about potential competition in the Terminus.

"You two are reading with attentive eyes," said Disco. "Have you found something interesting?"

"There was a breakout at Snyke's Penitentiary," said Bluefish.

Beardfish had been drinking coffee, but at that news, spat it out of his mouth. It landed on Grouper's face, as he had been sitting across from the old man.

"So, does that mean our old boss Barracuda is free?" asked Piranha. "Though I wonder if he even cares about that name anymore... well, if it's meant to be, we will find out."

"Look, I think we were just meant to be here, having our fun and adventure," said Disco.

"We've been to Merstranger Island, Lincoln Island, and The Black Forest, what are we even doing at this point?" asked Guitarfish.

"We are circumventing the currents of the Terminus by sailing in the still waters between them. We are doing something never done by a submarine before, at least not in any history book I know of," said Disco.

"Anyway, I wanna hear more about this breakout," said John Dory. "Who got out?"

"Everyone. That includes Salvador, James Baron, and Gate Fredericks," said Redfish.

"Wait, when did James Baron get captured?" asked Piranha.

"He sailed to the prison in order to breakout Crock Turnbull," explained Bluefish.

"Wait, the old guy that defeated Salvador? He got captured?" asked Disco, shocked.

"Yep, apparently he's the same Crock that travelled this ocean twenty-odd years ago," said Redfish.

"He's got a new bounty of six-hundred million," said Bluefish.

The Rough-House Pirates continued to discuss the newfound information, and came to the conclusion that the Detective's crew were the real deal.

On a certain island in the Terminus, Marcus and Bullseye French had been stranded for months after their plane crashed and a family of farmers had taken them in.

"Hey, Marcus," said a teenage girl dressed in farm clothes.

"Look, I know your parents don't mind, but it bothers me that you hang around us so much," said Marcus.

"They saw you crash by the oil lake, and saw fit to save you from the oil monster. It made them unpopular with the city folk. Now I don't hang around you 'cause you're interesting or any thing like that, I hang around 'cause I want to know what you're even doing here."

"Well Gernie, we were flying to Farewell Island, to catch a pirate and claim the reward," said Bullseye.

"Yes, but the oil monster doesn't attack random flyers-by. You two have something odd about you, and I'm suspicious."

"Say Marcus," said Bullseye. "Do you think that James Baron has gone beyond our strength?"

"Depends on how far he's travelled," said Marcus. "We have a lot of strength we never use. I know I do, at least."

"You're not planning on using any gamma radiation are you?" asked Bullseye.

"No, and geez, Bullseye, why'd you mention that in front of the kid? She's run off now... it'll be a big pain if she tells everyone we're dangerous or something."

"Nah, she just got the info she wanted. She's a curious person and it shouldn't be all that surprising, given where we are."

"Yeah I know, people in the Terminus have a different cultural standard and as a result are more inclined to question things."

Marcus and Bullseye looked up to the sky as they thought about what the future may hold.

Barronym Island was attending to the needs of its people. Halberd, Colin Closingtime, and Ollacosta Adams were seeing to concerned citizens and hearing them out.

"So you see, sir, some of the dinosaurs have not been mindful of our farms, trampling and eating our crops," said a citizen.

"Look, I'm aware of the issue and working on a solution. It's a complicated problem, though, so I'm not sure..."

"I have the time, Your Highness."

"Very well, but do not interrupt me next time, and do not be so formal. King Halberd is enough."

Halberd went on to explain the details of his plan to address the misbehaving dinosaurs. It would require relocation of the farms to more secluded places, and training the dinosaurs to live in harmony with humans as they used to.

The newspapers of Barronym had been limited to local news, even before the closing of the airport. It was a call from Indigo that would inform Halberd of the events that transpired at Snyke's Penitentiary. This was some time after he had finished his duties for the day.

"So, how's Zephyr doing?" he asked.

"Excited for the next phase, enjoying his freedom, and such," said Indigo. "You should be more concerned about your role."

"Yes, you are making preparations for Amperes and Bolster to take my place at the Gathering. You've also mentioned that we are going to be resurrecting Orange."

"Yes, the organic androids can never truly die, not if the universe is to be saved... it was too early for him to be around, though he served a purpose being here."

"Well, when can I expect your arrival?"

"I'll be on my way in due time. As you might have guessed, you are missing the Gathering because our business will need to be conducted at around the same time."

Indigo made clear her plans to revive Orange, and who she wanted to involve in the process. Halberd listened attentively and was optimistic about the future. In two months time, Indigo and Halberd would gather around Orange, accompanied by Harper Wales, Ernest Summers, and Ollacosta Adams.

Zephyr was on an island in the North Sea, the 'Jagged Forest' Up Creek Island. Before his job as Warden, he used to hide out here and live off the land. Now, as he travelled on the wind, he sensed the presence of someone else on his island.

He flew through the air, almost swimming through it, to find the source of a peculiar smell he picked up on shortly after arriving. It seemed to be coming from somewhere deep in the island's dense forests. A smoke-like smell... perhaps from a chimney. He continued to dash through the air at a high speed, until he found it.

A small cabin had been built in a patch of clear ground. It appeared to be made from wood and clay. He eyed the unfamiliar structure curiously, before someone caught his attention. From his right, he heard a holler.

"Legend tells this used to be your place, it would seem that it is true," said the voice that had called out.

Zephyr turned to look at the source of the voice. Darque Storm, a Gentleman Minor, had been living here for several years. The simple fact that Zephyr had shown up here had given her the opportunity she needed to put her plan into action. That is, if the android she had just come face-to-face with was willing to negotiate with her.

"A historic event occurred, that no doubt freed several of your colleagues in the Gentleman's Club, and you are here..."

"Yes, well, everyone has their assignments."

"And what is yours?"

"To infiltrate Indigo International."

"How bold. You knew that Indigo would see through your lies, and instead opted for the truth. Now it's just a matter of seeing whether Indigo will allow it."

"It's what I'm counting on."

Earlier that week, Darque had caught Thomas Dreamer and Dorothy Gale engaged in a conversation with Indigo. Though she was surprised, she understood their strategy. There was no major conflict between the organisations, and working with 2I rather than against them could help the GC in future.

Darque's plan to infiltrate Indigo International came not from a place of wanting to dismantle it, but to understand the main motivators behind an organisation that seems to do whatever it wants. A means to properly assess the true nature of 2I.

James wrote in his Captain's Chronicle, something he had not been able to do since entering prison, and something that had never gotten tiresome for him. Though he stopped counting the days after the first hundred, he always enjoyed the activity.

Captain's Chronicle: 8/10/4099

It has been over a year since I started sailing. My crew now stands twelve members strong, and not a single one would I go without to my next destination: the Terminus. I have heard many great things about this sea from those who have been there, and those who have read about it. If even half of those things are true, then I am excited to see these wonders of the world for myself. A floating island? An oil monster? A kingdom ruled by vampires? I am amazed by such notions.

I know the more accessible world has its share of oddities... aliens, kraken, dinosaurs, pirates and navy with unbelievable power, but there's a certain amount of mystery to the Terminus. It's something that I feel I need to see for myself. Hopefully I can become more powerful on the way to the Gogh Strait, as the time I spent in prison opened my eyes to the strength of the competition. Most pirate crews are further along in their journey: more experience, more power, more people. I know my crew are capable of greater things, and I hope I can help them get there. Our greatest adventure is on the horizon.

"Hm, you're a very reflective person, aren't you?" said a voice.

James looked to find visible sound waves hovering behind him. He was a little disturbed.

"Relax, it's just your Aunt Munge! Let's all get along, okay?"

"What? When did you decide that you could just come into my room and start acting like getting along was even an issue?"

"Well, I'm just glad you keep your Captain's Quarters clean, I never could stand how messy Crock was!"

"Can you get out, please? I'm trying to be alone with my thoughts, and you're making things awkward!"

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

13.2K 2K 44
It's a deadly plan, and it goes like this: First, become a crew member of the Avourienne, a pirate ship notorious for its charismatic captain and wic...
3.8K 1.8K 54
Wandering the vast oceans with nothing but the unrecalled past of the identity that one could not ponder. In a huge vessel that guides the dreamers...
149 37 10
My journey through life, though seemingly effortless, is far from it. As an eighteen-year-old heiress of not one, but two crazy rich families, the we...
266 32 7
ᴀ ᴄᴏɪɴᴄɪᴅᴇɴᴛᴀʟ ᴍᴇᴇᴛ ᴛᴜʀɴs ɪɴᴛᴏ ᴀ ᴜɴᴋɴᴏᴡɪɴɢ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ʙᴜᴛ ᴅᴇᴇᴘᴇɴɪɴɢ ɪɴᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ғᴀᴄᴛs ᴍᴀᴋᴇs ᴛʜᴇᴍ....... .......ғɪɴᴅ ᴏᴜᴛ.. As it continues.....𝙸...