Don't be afraid, darling ✔[CO...

By ProfessorMoody21

Kiara Carlyle is a sarcastic 17 year old girl who has just moved into the sleepy little town of Oakwood. The... More

Chapter 1: Boring!
Chapter 2: Who's he?
Chapter 3: Cassian
Chapter 4: Nervous
Chapter 5: The Mantzari mansion
Chapter 6: Demonic angel......
Chapter 7: .....or Angelic demon?
Chapter 8: Welcome
Flashback
Chapter 10: Scared
Chapter 11: Perfect present
Chapter 12: Slow burning
Chapter 13: Under his spell
Chapter 14: Tears aren't weaknesses
Chapter 15: Perfect dress
Chapter 16: What an evening!
Chapter 17: Surprise moves
Chapter 18: Passion
Chapter 19: Punishment
Flashback
Chapter 21: Surprise ride
Chapter 22: The Possessor
Chapter 23: Escaped!
Chapter 25: No one is innocent
Chapter 26: Trouble
Chapter 27: New faces
Chapter 28: House of Avyanna
Chapter 29: Sibling Rivalry
Flashback (Part 1)
Flashback (Part 2)
Chapter 31: The First Issuing
Chapter 32: War Planning
Chapter 34: Terror
Chapter 35: Ugly Revelations
Chapter 36: I fear him... but I love him
Author's Note
Chapter 37: Respite from suffering
Chapter 38: He's fighting
Chapter 40: Not the Monster
Chapter 41: New Kinda Life
Epilogue

Chapter 24: Confrontation

68 13 0
By ProfessorMoody21

Kiara's POV:
The next day, I went to school with my new backpack. It was a royal blue, leather backpack with cool silver tassels. I got it from the mall the previous evening.
Mom was a bit wary of letting me go to school alone after the mishap, but I bullied her into letting me. Obedient daughter that I am. *Proud of myself*
I reached school and looked for Curly. She had some serious explaining to do. I found her mumbling to herself, while rummaging in her locker clumsily. I went a little closer to be able to hear what she was mumbling about.
Her voice was soft and agitated, "What was he thinking?... Could've done serious damage... always quarrelling and bickering.... poor thing, had to go through all that..."
To my horror, she started to sniffle softly and tears formed at her eyes. When she muttered next, her voice quivered as though she might start crying any second.
"Wish... father was here... wish he would be here to make them see sense. Wish they..  would stop being... idiots.."
Her lower lip trembled and a tear slid down her smooth skin as she clumsily resumed rummaging in her locker.
She seemed to be yearning for her dad. I couldn't imagine life without a dad so I couldn't come close to understanding her misery. But I realised that it must suck to have a dad that leaves you to fend for yourself and not bother to check up on you.
I decided not to demand explanations from her at that moment and dug around in my pockets.
I reached out my hanky to her with a neutral face, "Here"
She jumped in surprise when she saw me. Her books dropped to the ground with a thud and she stared at me with a stupefied expression.
I huffed impatiently, bending down to pick up her books for her, "Seriously, Curly do I look that scary?"
She mumbled a sorry at me and took the books from me with trembling hands.
I waved my hanky in front of her face, still impatiently, "Well? Are you gonna take it or do you want me wipe those tears from your eyes myself?"
She gave a watery half giggle and took the hanky, dabbing at her eyes with it.
I smiled in appreciation and swung an arm over her shoulder, "That was wise, Curly. You really didn't want me to do it for you. Anyway, you okay now?"
She nodded, and smiled at me thankfully, "Yes, Kiara. Thank you for the support. I needed that."
"What were you crying about anyway?" I asked curiously, risking it.
Curly bit her lip, balancing herself on the balls of her feet. She was obviously uncomfortable, as her eyes darted around her looking for an excuse. Feeling sorry for her, I decided to let it go.
"It's fine, Curly. You don't need to tell me anything if you're not okay with it. I get it. It's okay." I smiled understandingly.
She sighed gratefully, looking relieved, "Thanks a lot, Kiara. You're a good friend." She patted my arm.
I was touched. That single comment made my heart melt at it's honesty and simplicity. It's not everyday that we are called good friends.
__________________________
That night, Curly stayed over at my place for a sleepover.
And of course, that's when I demanded answers from her. It was about time that she confess what was wrong with this town.
I poured her a glass of soda to help her calm her nerves. I knew how flustered she could get when she was nervous.
"Okay, so what do you have to say for yourself?" I went straight to the point.
She took a sip of her soda and stared into her glass, "I- what do you mean?"
"You're done with the clueless act, Curly! You just left me all alone yesterday morning when that crazy car almost ran me over! Disappeared completely. Why did you do that, huh? I know you're NOT a coward, Allyson Parker."
She blushed deeply and finally met my eye, "You're wrong, Kiara. I am a coward. I ran away because I was afraid. Afraid of the car, it's driver and the person controlling the driver." Her eyes were filled with pain, and it broke my heart.
One second....
The person controlling the driver.
How did she know?
I narrowed my eyes suspiciously, "Curly, what was that last thing you were afraid of, again?"
She smiled softly, and for the first time, I felt nervous of her. Her expression reminded me of two people of whom I had felt threatened the most. Two people with whom I had never imagined Curly to be associated with.
Her usual meek and awestruck demeanor was replaced by something more.... malevolent.
"Didn't you figure it out yet, Kiara?"
Her voice was unfamiliar too. Instead of the usual soft and mumbling voice, she sounded confident and slightly amused.
I stood up from beside her, dangerous realisation dawning on me, "You sometimes speak old fashioned like you're in the nineteenth century."
She didn't speak, but her smile grew wider only a milimeter.
I took a step back, away from her, "You always know what I've been doing and where I've been, even when you're not with me."
Another step back.
"You are unnaturally afraid of Ca-Cassian. Even though I've never seen you even speak to him."
Another step.
"Cassian told me he had a sister called... called..." I stopped, not being able to continue.
Curly had a sort of excited gleam in her eyes, that unsettled me thoroughly, "Yes? What is she called?"

"Ally" I choked out, stumbling over my study chair and leaning against the wall to steady myself.
How could I have been so blind?
"Zorraine has a brother... and a sister..." My face was filled with fear.
She did not get up, but placed her glass on my bedside table and stopped smiling.
"Yes, Kiara. I am the younger sister of Zorraine and Cassian Mantzari. I was born in 1872, Oakwood. My parents are Lord Markus Mantzari and Lady Veronique Mantzari. My brothers are Zorraine Rowan Mantzari and Cassian Christian Mantzari. My name is Allyson Adelaide Mantzari, and I am a sorceress."
She grinned, as though informing me that she was a member of the reading club at school.
I frowned, "Is this, like, a family thing? Being, uh, sorcerers?"
She laughed gently, "Partly, yes. And partly because we chose to be like this. I am not like Ren and Cass though.
"I am completely non violent. I believe in peace and communal harmony. I don't control spirits or have a sadistic streak. I have a healing touch."
"A what touch?"
"A healing touch means I can make negative feelings and sensations go away from a person's mind for a while. Or forever, if I like that person." She smiled devilishly, making me shiver.
"You seem to be the kindest of the lot." I tried to shake of the nervousness I was feeling.
"You could say that. But they are not completely bad. They can be really nice too."
"I don't think so." Previous images of Zorraine terrorizing me in the Mantzari mansion floated in my head.
She laughed again, "I understand your uncertainty, Kiara. I know my brothers haven't exactly made you feel totally at ease before. But I assure you, they are not as cruel as our grandfather."
Her expression changed from it's easy and relaxed look, to cold and menacing. Anger smouldered in her eyes. I was suddenly glad that I wasn't her grandfather.
"Nathaniel Mantzari" I said cautiously.
"Yes. Him." She gripped the headboard of my bed hard, "He ruined our lives. He destroyed Cass. He is the real monster."
"Whoa... wait up." I still couldn't wrap my head around the fact that Cassian was Curly's brother and a bloody sorcerer!
Curly seemed to notice my disbelief, as she said comfortingly, "Cass is really attracted to you, Kiara. That's why he didn't reveal his true nature to you at first. He didn't want to scare you."
"Scare me?!" Jeez! That guy did more than scare me. He freaking made me go gaga over him and then casually tossed out the fact that he was actually an immortal sorcessor with a sadistic streak!
Well, he didn't exactly tell me that himself, but... That's not the damn point!
"Okay, so why didn't you tell me all this earlier?" I asked, only slightly calmer than before.
"Would you have remained as calm as you are now if I had told you earlier?"
I pondered over that and realized she was right. I probably would've run out onto the street and yelled out the news to the entire town in shock.
I sighed in defeat, "Fine, you're right, but can you at least tell me more about Cassian? I really wanna know more about him."
As soon as I said that, I blushed, knowing that the words had not come out right.
Curly grinned teasingly, "I'll let him tell you more about himself on his own. Besides, he didn't want you to know anything until you were ready."
"Ready?"
She nodded, "You will be ready when you will be able to handle his true nature. His identity. His... crimes." She got slightly tense at the last word.
Now what could these crimes be?
I thought I would be terrified of this sadistic streak of his, but strangely, I was... excited. To tell you the truth, his dark and dangerous side was exhilarating to me.
Curly continued, "Cass really has got his eye on you. He has been doing everything he can to get your attention. And those things are not always beneficial to the people of Oakwood."
"What things?"
She winced, "He.. um.. warned me not to tell you. I'm sorry Kiara, but I really don't want to get on his bad side. He scares me when he is angry."
I huffed, "So, my best friend turned out to be a.. a sorceress! That information alone made my freaking day."
She laughed and appeared next to me in a flash, making me jump. Putting an arm around my shoulder, she soothingly patted my knee, "Don't worry, Kiara. None of us would ever hurt you. You are Cass's chosen. And looks like... Ren's chosen too."
She looked at me meaningfully.
My cheeks coloured as I remembered Zorraine's seductive smile, his slowly darkening sapphire eyes and his arms around me when he had tried to kiss me...
Then Cassian's dangerous smirk, his husky chuckle and that totally hot sinister look he gave me when he kissed me... fought for attention in my head.
Damn it! I'm a mess!
I put my head in my hands and exhaled.
"Hey, Kiara, don't get worked up. Cass really has his heart set on you, but Ren won't rest until he has you. All you need to do is let your heart decide which Mantzari brother you want." Curly's words did calm me down. I loosened up gradually and thought it over.
I could give them a chance. See which sorcessor could steal my heart. What harm could it do?
I raised my eyebrows at her, "Curly, only this morning, I was the one who was comforting you. But now..." I trailed off, not knowing what to say.
I saw her smirk for the first time in my life.
"Looks like the tables have turned. Completely."
Indeed....
__________________________
Author's note
Hey guys! I know it's been centuries since I last uploaded and I'm SO SORRY!!!

It's school break and the exam results were out and I was super occupied. But now I'm back and will be uploading soon!
Please do vote, share and comment!
Thanks a lot and buh bye!!😀😀😀♥️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

66 79 80
"Angie, don't move". Mitchell warned with horror on her face. Angie was shaken up already. She heard a growl and out of sheer curiosity, she turned a...
17K 1.2K 22
Kiara, a 14 year old girl, lives in a small town along side a dark forest no one, who has ever lived in the town, dares to venture into. She has hear...
2.2K 479 48
I met evil when I was just a child. Long story short: I survived. 🗡️ Cassia Mekhava, the princess of the witches. Tortured by her mother. Haunted by...
1.1K 273 34
Thirteen-year-old Ginna's only connection to her long-dead mother is the dogwood in her backyard. The tree radiates a warm sort of buzz which might p...