VOLTRON ONE-SHOTS

By Fanged_Tonight

Angsty, somewhat crazy, mostly consisting of Keith as far as I can tell. It's not my fault the show made me... More

OC - Suspicions
Vampire Keith - Fanged Nightmares pt. 1
Keith x OC - I'm Sorry
Shiro - Ghost pt. 1
Keith & Krolia - Bloodlines
Keith - If Only It Were pt. 1
Keith - Hold on to Me
Lance - Hanahaki Love
Everybody Included - A Little Tipsy, But Otherwise Okay
Shiro & Keith - Gone Wrong
Keith - Don't Say You're Sorry
Shiro - Poison In is Veins
Acira x Keith - After The Storm
Vampire Keith - Fanged Nightmares Pt. 2
Lance x OC - Stargaze
Keith - Say It pt. 1
Keith x OC - Numb Confusion
Keith x Acira - Home
Keith - Beyond
Acira - Unwanted Change
Keith - Poison
Lance - Little One, You Are Stronger Than You Know
Acira - Shattered Past
Keith x Acira - Glitter and Jewels
Keith - Don't Hold Back
Keith - Like A Leader pt. 1
Keith - Like A Leader pt. 2
Keith - Hold Your Tongue
Keith x Acira - Don't Forget Us
Keith x OC - Hidden in the Light
Shiro - If Only It Were pt. 2
Kuro/Shiro - Breaking Point
Keith - What's Been Lost
Shiro - To the Surface
Lance - Scream
Keith - In My Head
Keith x OC - See Me
Keith - Colorful Sound
Keith - Like Glass
Keith - Scales and Teeth
Keith x Nifa - Standing Strong
Acira - A Christmas Surprise
Keith - Crash and Burn
Keith x Nifa - See
Shiro - Say It pt. 2
Keith - Void of Dark
Keith - Ache
Pidge - (In)sane
Keith - (Please)Don't Let Go
Keith x Nifa - From Here (Launch Date)
Keith - Ghost pt. 2
Keith - Static and Sound pt. 1
Art Contest Entry
TAAAAAGED!!!
a/n (I'm sorry for this)

Keith - "Moonlight"

374 6 0
By Fanged_Tonight

Word Count: 4,845

I haven't really done a shot in awhile that was nothing but something to read without someone getting killed/injured. So I hope you guys enjoy it!!

...

Contrary to popular belief, Keith truly did enjoy his music.

He couldn't remember a time when music didn't matter in his life.

He'd like to think he's been alive long enough to say that it actually, truly, mattered to him.

He loved music.

But, in a world like his.

He never got much time to show it.

"You sure this is the place?" Shiro asked, tone curious, the man's voice jerking Keith back to the present, that just happened to be sitting on a worn seat of a truck, as they pulled up to broad iron gates, the tips twisting and twirling into the sky. He noticed with a surprised frown there was actually someone waiting for them- hands clasped neatly in front of him, eyes staring ahead unblinking almost like a statue -as Shiro pulled his truck carefully into the driveway.

Keith looked back over to Shiro, who currently seemed to be just sitting, shell-shocked at the fancy gate, the look on his face speaking volumes for the sight in front of them, and Keith, in turn, tried his best to hide his smile at Shiro's expression.

Actually raising his head and taking a look for himself, Keith couldn't really see much from where they were that would make Shiro look that awed. There was only a large black gate attached to an ordinate stone fence and the sprawling grey driveway that wound through a mass of trees before disappearing out of sight.

Considering the fact that they somehow could've seen the house easily when they pulled up (Keith was sure if the carefully designed stone fence was anything to go by, the house was huge) it wasn't all that much to look at.

Remembering Shiro had actually asked him a question, he looked down at the scrap of notebook paper in his hand just to be sure, the curly, purple-tinted handwriting just legible enough to make out an address, and sure enough the numbers were correct as he peered from the gold-plated numerals nailed next to the gate back to the paper in his hand, blinking before he finally replied with certainty, "Yeah, this is the place."

Shiro whistled, eyes still wide as he slowly shook his head in disbelief.

There was a knock on his window then, and Keith looked over to see the guy at the gate now peering at him through the glass and he quickly moved to roll the window down with a low whirr.

"Can I help you, folks?" The man's voice was clear and deep as it cut through the silence between the two of them.

Keith shook his head, "Yeah, we're actually looking for Allura Altea's house? Is this it?" He asked, halfheartedly waving the scrap of paper.

The man nodded, "It is. What are you here for?"

Keith looked over to Shiro for his answer, figuring he'd want to say something since he was technically only here because of him. "Ah, h-homework, Allura- she wanted me to come over to help with homework."

If the guy noticed Shiro's frazzled stammering, he didn't show it.

Keith, on the other hand, rolled his eyes at his brother's nervous answer before turning back to the guy, "Allura's been coming over to our apartment every Saturday for help, she gave Shiro her address yesterday to come over here instead," he blankly stated.

The man nodded, "Of course, I was told to keep an eye out for him, and who are you?" He asked, pointing a lazy finger in his direction.

Keith blinked, moving his hand to move his black hair out of his eyes to better fix the guy with a stare, "I'm Keith, Shiro's brother."

He nodded at his answer, "Ah, right, I was told he might bring you along."

Keith, obviously having no clue how to proceed with the conversation, just shrugged, lips pressed together, and the guy, in turn, chuckled under his breath at the teen's attempt at a response, "Alright, I'll let you in, give me a minute."

Keith watched as the man then lightly jogged back to the front gate before reaching to open a small panel on the wall and punching in a few buttons before the ordinate metal gates in front of them slowly began to open with barely a sound.

Keith gave a subtle wave as Shiro put the vehicle back into drive, slowly inching forward as they were let in, his own attempt at saying "Thanks," before they drove out of sight.

The guy gave a small wave back with a smile, "No problem, kid."

Keith rolled the window back up before he could say anything else, he might've been the one to ask where they were, but it didn't mean he considered himself any good at talking to people.

He looked back to Shiro who seemed to be faring just a little better now that they were inside the gate. Brown eyes just a little calmer, his prosthetic wasn't putting an indent in anything, but Keith didn't miss the man's fingers tightening ever-so-slightly over the wheel as he followed the winding driveway, and Keith smirked at his reaction to this whole thing.

Shiro frowned, catching Keith's expression out of the corner of his eye, "What? What's so funny?"

"Oh nothing," Keith shook his head, "I just thought you would've seen a front gate before. You have, haven't you?" He asked in a mocking tone, attempting to lighten the mood a little before they arrived.

His smirk grew as Shiro's eyes widened at the prod, "I have! I just wasn't expecting Allura to live here of all places, and we're just doing homework, why would she invite me to her house, if all places if it looks like this?" He gestured with one hand to the sprawling driveway, his voice shaking with nerves, the house itself still hidden behind the trees as Shiro drove on.

Keith rolled his eyes at his response, "Her dad is head of one of the biggest companies in the world, Shiro, what were you expecting? A shack?"

Shiro spluttered, "I- no, I just wasn't expecting-" his voice tapered off as he lost his train of thought, eyes growing distant.

Keith raised an eyebrow, "You were expecting a shack weren't you?"

"No."

"Right."

"I wasn't expecting a shack, Keith."

"Sure, sure whatever you say," he smirked again, pushing back into his seat, the seat belt rubbing into his neck at the action and Keith frowned as the driveway continued. How long was this thing anyway? "Besides, this is your last year of college, Shiro, why are you just now deciding to offer her help with homework anyway?"

He caught Shiro's face reddening out of the corner of his eye and Keith smirked, knowing he hit the right button. "I- I don't know, I haven't really seen her since this year," the man mumbled, looking down at the road.

Despite the obvious lie in his brother's answer, Keith crossed his arms over his chest instead of pressing on the matter, sliding further down in the seat. In all honesty, Keith was happy that Shiro was finally getting somewhere, it made him feel just a little better about being in the guy's life without feeling like a burden to him. But this whole thing couldn't help but spark his worry about what would happen after. Would Shiro still want him around? Keith was still seventeen, he had one more year to go before he could legally get out of his hair without it being a huge problem.

But maybe he was overthinking this, Shiro and Allura have only been seeing each other for a month or two for "homework" (a walk through the park did not count as homework no matter how hard Shiro insisted it was). Keith, himself did meet her a few times before, and she did seem pretty nice during those times. Maybe they wouldn't mind Keith sticking around a year or two after he finally got out of high school, maybe he'd stay till he finally found a college he liked.

Shiro wouldn't mind that much, right?

Shiro's low whistle beside had Keith looking back up from his lap, his jaw going slack as he caught sight of the white and grey themed house (house? No, mansion was probably the better word for it). The place had to at least be three stories, not including the high possibility of a very lavish attic and basement crammed in between.

"The fu-"

"Language," Shiro warned, his voice soft only half-listening, the vast majority of his attention still fixed on what was in front of them, and Keith's mind didn't have to wander far to know something much similar to what almost slipped Keith's mouth was running rampant through Shiro's mind.

The place was freaking huge.

That's pretty much the only thing Keith could come up with for a description of the house as they drove up the remainder of the driveway that wrapped around a circular fountain positioned in front of the middle of the mansion, the fountain itself spraying up an endless stream of water in a rainbow ark as the countless rose bushes lining both the water feature and the house lightly swayed in a stray breeze.

With only a small hint of hesitance, Shiro finally parked his truck off the side of the driveway, near the front doors, the dark oak reflecting in the afternoon sun as they both made their way up the front steps. Keith could swear Shiro's eyes grew wider with every step, by the time they finally stopped to ring the doorbell, he was sure the guy's eyes were about to pop out of his head.

"Shit, Keith, she invited me to her house, I probably shouldn't even be here, I- I'll just text her and tell her I couldn't make it-"

"It's too late for that-" he looked at Keith in surprise at the hardness of his tone and Keith, in turn, crossed his arms and shook his head with an exasperated sigh. "Look, Shiro, we're already here, it won't hurt to go in and see her. I mean, since she gave you her address that means she must trust you, right?" Keith shrugged, crossing his arms tighter over his chest. Either way, he'd be stuck with him.

And he wasn't even going to mention the pretty high possibility that they'd just be back in the same situation next week anyway.

Better to get this done and over with now than wait till later.

"I- I don't know, Keith," he watched him look down to fiddle uncomfortably with the strap of his bag slung over one shoulder, "Maybe I should-"

Ding dong.

Keith stepped back from the button with a triumphant smirk, shoving his fingerless glove clad hands back into the pocket of his hoodie to fix Shiro with a more-than triumphant stare.

"Keith, you traitor," Shiro hissed, just before one of the massive doors opened inwards to reveal a mustachioed man standing in the doorway, his bright red hair catching the sun for a moment or two before stepping further back into the house after realizing who was standing at the doorstep. "Ah, Shiro I presume?"

The man in question uncomfortably scratched the back of his head eyes looking to the floor and back to the man only to go back to the floor again, "Yeah- uh, yes."

The man chuckled at Shiro's frazzled reply, "I'm Coran, Allura's been expecting you."

Keith was quick to follow Shiro into the house as the door shut behind them with a low thud. He shivered as the warmer air of the house fell onto his skin, chasing away the fall coolness of the outdoors.

"Shiro!"

Keith looked up, catching sight of Allura gliding down a grand staircase in front of him, dressed in torn jeans and an oversized pink sweater. Her bright blue eyes twinkled as she looked in Shiro's direction, and Keith could hear the man inhale at the sight of her.

He wasn't going to ignore the fact that she looked a little out of place in the grand and lavish place they were in, looking more like your everyday college student and not like the daughter of a multimillionaire. Nonetheless, Keith could see Shiro's face brighten out of the corner of his eye as he caught sight of her gliding down the stairs, "A- Allura, you- you look wonderful."

The girl's face broke into a smile at the compliment, "Thank you, Shiro. You look nice as well."

Keith watched him shift from foot to foot in his dark jeans and tee at the return, his face already red, "Thanks."

"Now then," Keith jumped about a foot in the air as the guy- Coran- clapped his hands together from behind, "I'm sure you two want to get started on this... project right away." He turned to Allura with a subtle bow and a twinkle in his eyes, clearly knowing there was no such project, and Keith stifled his smile at the pure obviousness of it all. "What should I do with this young man here until you and your friend are finished, miss Allura?" A white-gloved hand gestured in his direction, and Keith, in turn, straightened a little more at the mention of him.

He watched, curious as Allura looked at him with a glimmer of a smile on her face before turning to Coran and replying, "I give him my full permission to wander around the house until we are done, I'm sure father won't mind."

Coran nodded, "Of course, I will escort him anywhere he wants to go-"

Allura raised a hand with a subtle shake of her head, and the man cut off, "Please, Coran, I believe Keith has no need for an escort, if I know anything from what Shiro has told me about him, I trust he won't be any trouble," she winked at him, as Keith continued to just stand there as his brain slowly began to process just what she meant.

He had full roam of the house.

Of course, Keith wasn't sure if he should feel relieved for not having someone walking one step behind him for his visit, or intimidated that he'd have the full opportunity of getting lost in the place while she and Shiro talked about non-college related things, probably not even worried that he could legit get so lost they'd have trouble finding him again in this mess of a house-

He stuffed his hands in his hoodie and hoped he didn't look as overwhelmed as he felt.

"Very well," if Coran looked worried, he didn't show it and Keith watched as the mustachioed man turned and walked away disappearing behind a door without a sound.

Keith turned back to Allura expectantly (she was going to elaborate on this, right?) as Shiro shuffled to her side, but the girl only gave a small smile in his direction, hands clasped in front of her, before taking Shiro's arm as they turned to go back up the stairs, "Fell free to explore, Keith," Allura called out over her shoulder, he watched a little helplessly as Shiro gave him a subtle wave, turning around to fix him with a stare that clearly said don't break anything before they were up and gone as well, leaving Keith completely and utterly alone in the biggest house he'd ever stepped foot in in his life.

Um.

Okay?

Now what?

He debated whether or not to just head back to the car and wait till they were done (who knew how long their little "project" was going to take? The place was, once again, huge). His hand twitched to his back pocket, his last bit of hope at being entertained until they came back falling when his fingers met empty air.

He must've left his phone back at the apartment.

Dang it.

Still standing where they'd left him, Keith looked to his left, right, back again. He shoved his hands deeper in his hoodie pockets and with a huff of breath, and a silent prayer he wouldn't end up breaking something or getting lost (or both) he set off.

His footsteps were loud in his own ears as he ventured further and further from the front door, a lot of antiques and paintings catching his eye when he went past one room. Another had him sinking blissfully into a sofa, a huge flatscreen mounted on the wall, but he quickly lost interest after realizing he had no idea how to turn the damn thing on.

A couple more twists and turns had him losing count of how many lefts and rights it would take to get back to the front doors so he was (unfortunately) left to take guesses all the while getting himself more and more lost the further in he went. His heart starting to, very slowly, lodge itself into his throat as he took another turn into, yet another unfamiliar hall.

He was never going to get out of here, it'd have to take a whole team of people to search this place to find him, he'd probably be stuck here till tomorrow and-

Keith paused when another room caught his attention, the door opened to a crack, and he carefully reached out to push it open, the hinges swinging quietly to reveal what was inside. This one was on the more plain side of what he'd seen so far, the walls were painted a dull cream/tan-ish color, and instead of paintings, there were mirrors with elaborate gold and silver frames that hung around the room, a part of one of the walls actually bulging out a little to provide a small sitting area in front of an ordinate window. Colorful pillows propped up on the window seat, making the whole scene appear pretty cozy

But, what really caught his attention, was the piano.

Sitting in the middle of the room, under an ever-so-slightly vaulted ceiling was a grand piano, the lid already propped open to reveal the multiple strings winding through the instrument, the little black bench pushed back and ready for someone to sit and fill the air with notes, ivory keys glinting brightly in the sun, pedals shining a faint gold (for all he knew, they probably were gold).

Keith couldn't admit he'd seen very many pianos in his life (did two count as many?) but, if he had to guess anything, this one was on the more expensive side of things, heck, the thing was in a millionaire's mansion, of course, it would be expensive, probably one of the most expensive pianos out there, if he was willing, to be honest with himself, he shouldn't even be looking at this thing, the door had been technically closed.

Maybe he'd go in for a closer look at it.

Hesitantly, he ventured further into the room, almost afraid his disturbance in the air would make the whole scene in front of him crack His footsteps were painfully loud in his own ears and he probably shouldn't be in here, but his fingers were already itching to play, or, at the very least, touch the keys. Maybe press one to two just to hear how it sounded, then he'd leave and continue on trying to find his way out of there? Yeah, that sounded like a good plan, he'd stick with that, he'd touch one or two keys and then leave.

The last thing he needed was someone coming to investigate the noise of a full-on song, he probably wasn't even supposed to be in here.

He gently lowered himself onto the bench, back straightening as an older woman's voice echoed in his ears, urging him to keep his chin up. No one wanted to see a pianist slouching over the keys, he had to look confident, even if he didn't feel it. If he looked confident, then he'd play confident, and everyone would think he knew what he was doing-

Keith shook his head, dislodging the memory, he slipped off his gloves, sliding them into his hoodie pocket, hands hovering over the keys as a nearly forgotten memory came to surface.

One song wouldn't hurt, right?

No, he was just going to touch one key, then he'd leave.

"Play me a song, dear." her frail eyes fell onto his from across the room and Keith bit his lip before finally nodding, sliding onto the rickety wooden bench, hands reaching for the dusty, faded keys in front of him. The frail woman in bed struggled to raise herself so she could better see him, and Keith's heart painfully clenched.

He paused for a minute, searching his mind for a softer melody, but still full of light, lots of light, all the light he could get-

She wasn't going to make it much longer, they were lucky to even leave the hospital, but part of Keith knew the doctors knew there wasn't anything more they could do but send her home, surround her with familiarity in her final moments. What good was a song if it just acknowledged her looming death? No, he needed something with feeling in it, he needed to show her how much he cared, how much she meant to him, how much she- dang it, she couldn't die, she was the first person in his life to ever-

Keith clenched his fists, the right tune coming to mind in his sudden wave of anger- it was her favorite, if anything could make her better, it'd be that- and without hesitation, he brought his fingers down, and played, played with all his being, played the best he could-

He bit his lip, looking down, the black and white blurring together for a moment before clearing again. None of this changed the fact that he still shouldn't be in here, it didn't matter if he was a little rusty at playing or that he couldn't remember the last time he'd sat in front of a piano since-

Since-

Okay. He sucked in a breath, clearing his head with a rough shake. Okay, he'd play just one song. Only one. Surely Shiro and Allura wouldn't walk into him playing? None of them were aware Keith knew how to play, and he didn't want them to either, at least, not yet. He intended to keep that little part of his life a secret (even though he knew he was probably gonna get caught doing this).

He touched down on the first chord, another key quickly following, and Keith's ears rang at the tune met his ears. He paused for a moment, relishing in the sound bouncing off the walls around him. The piano itself tuned and polished to perfection, there was no interference with the notes, no squeaky pedals, everything was as smooth and fine as silk.

He hesitantly reached for the next collection of notes, relishing in the sound they gave, then the next, and the next, enjoying the way his fingers danced over the keys. His hesitance fell away as he moved further into the music until he was nearly halfway through the song, fingers flying as he rose and fell through it all, swaying a bit as each piece fell beautifully into place.

Keith closed his eyes, and for a moment, it was nothing but him and the music, floating in a blissful pool of nothingness, surrounded by just the sound of it all. There wasn't any huge mansion, no overbearing future, nothing at all, and he more than enjoyed the feeling of strength that came with it.

He didn't open his eyes when he ran through a difficult part, didn't even pause when he thought he'd tripped over a note (he didn't). He didn't open his eyes till the final note rang through the room, squeezing his eyelids together and trying to hold onto it for as long as he could before it faded into the air nothing but a memory.

He opened his eyes and looked down, fingers still resting where they had been when the end of the song came, and the feather of a smile came to his lips as he took in the sight. After all these years he still knew the song by heart.

"That was truly exquisite."

Keith jumped at the voice, whirling his head around in shock to see none other than Allura's dad leaning against the doorframe, arms loosely crossed in front of him, the white of his hair nearly matching the white of his collared shirt, kind blue eyes peering at him with interest.

Alfor Altea.

He had been playing on Alfor Altea's piano.

The thought snapped him back to reality so fast he nearly doubled over before he moved to stand up and get away, get away dammit, he'd been playing on his piano and he'd seen. Nobody was supposed to see or hear that, this had been a terrible idea-

He froze when the man held a hand up, not even off the bench yet, eyes still wide Keith reluctantly sat back down at his words, "No, please, stay seated."

He didn't make another move to get up, but he didn't relax into the prospect of conversation either.

Mr. Altea didn't seem all that bothered by how flustered Keith looked (and felt, his emotions were currently flinging themselves through a window), he just offered another kind smile before walking further into the room.

"Clair de Lune, was it? Or am I too old to remember correctly?" He added with a joking smile.

Keith's stiff shoulders relaxed ever so slightly, the corner of his lips lifting at the realization that the man knew what he'd been playing. "Moonlight," he said, looking to the floor, "my- well, someone I knew always liked to call it Moonlight."

Mr. Altea nodded, "That is the English translation, a beautiful name for a beautiful piece if I do say so myself." He leaned closer into the room, "Now, tell me, where did you learn to play like that? That was truly exquisite."

Keith could feel his cheeks redden at the praise, "Someone taught me while I was in a foster home," he hopefully wouldn't see this guy again, so what was the harm in telling the truth? He'd hopefully leave before Shiro and Allura came looking for him, right?

The man nodded, his smile sobering ever so slightly at Keith's nearly muttered words, "Well, that was truly some amazing playing, young man, you should be very proud."

"Thanks," Keith pushed the word out, getting to his feet, glad the man didn't try to object to it again as he finally got up, looking down at the piano again before moving to head towards the door, Allura's dad still staring at him with mild interest-

"Keith, there you are." He jerked his head up to see Shiro and Allura walking into the room, Shiro's brown eyes looking a little frazzled as he laid eyes on him, flitting to Alfor for only a second or two before falling back on him again, expression filled with worry, "We've been looking for you everywhere, buddy, we've gotta go I'm gonna be late for my shift."

Oh. Keith swallowed, walking towards Shiro's open arm after closing the lid over the piano's keys, head down, staring at his shoes, "Sorry."

He caught Shiro's frown out of the corner of his eye as he actually stopped to take in the room in front of him, his expression growing more than a little confused at the sight, "What are you doing in here anyway?"

Keith's eyes widened at the question, dammit, he knew he shouldn't have gone in here- "Uh, I was just-"

"Keith has just been enlightening me with the keys is all," Mr. Altea shrugged, and Shiro, in turn, frowned.

"Keys?" He echoed, turning to look between Keith and the piano with a puzzled look on his face, "Keith, you never told me you could play piano," he didn't sound upset at the new news, er- not nearly upset as Keith had been expecting, but then again, Shiro was probably used to Keith closing his past off from anyone who didn't need to hear it.

He bit his lip, halfheartedly shrugging, "You never asked."

Sensing there was a little more to it than that (why did he have to be so good at sensing emotions?), Shiro frowned before his expression lightened into a light smile, "Well, maybe you could show me sometime."

He caught Mr. Altea's nod out of the corner of his eye, "Yes, you are more than welcome to come here any time to play. I'm afraid this instrument doesn't nearly get enough playing out of it as it does tuning," he chuckled under his breath, eyes on the instrument.

Keith could feel some unknowing knot in the pit of his stomach unknot ever so slightly at Shiro's interest in hearing him play, and Allura's dad's willingness to let him back into the house any time he liked. His lips upturned ever so slightly at the prospect of playing just one more time-

"Maybe."

...

Alright, fine, there is just a little angst in there if you squint hard enough, what can I say? I couldn't help myself ^-^

I got this little idea stuck in my head after hearing the music from one of the Godzilla trailers, it led to me actually finding the music, to listening to it, to getting this idea stuck in my head, making it a pure headache to get anything else done till I wrote it down. Tbh, I think it would be pretty interesting if Keith actually knew how to play the piano...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.8K 289 18
PLEASE GO READ @Jus7AFr3ak 's WORK BEFORE YOU READ THIS, THIS IS SIMPLY A CONTINUATION FOR THEIR BOOK THAT THEY LOST MOTIVATION FOR. YOU'LL FIND ALL...
429K 15.3K 172
Tommyinnit au's and one shots. Mostly angst and maybe I will do some fluff. No smut cause Tommy is minor :). There's no any ship or something like th...
73.2K 2.4K 26
Antisepticeye is just pure evil . . . . isn't he? He doesn't care about any one but himself. . . . .right? We always see that side. But then again...
22.5K 442 63
This is my AU ( Alternate Universe) of Fairy Tail Origins. These stories are mostly Divinus Magia. Some pages may have stories with my OC's. I am wor...