Terminus Part I: The Journey...

Par roogymirror

Detective James Baron became an outlaw after asking the wrong questions. After four years of running on land... Plus

Author's Note
Chapter 1: Detective / Pirate
Chapter 2: A Claim to Fame
Chapter 3: The Journey Begins
Chapter 4: Something That Matters
Chapter 5: Burundi, the Fish Market
Chapter 6: The Rough-House Pirates
Chapter 7: The No-Talent Chef
Chapter 8: Rival Gangs
Chapter 9: Motorcycle Mystery
Chapter 10: Deductive Unreasoning
Chapter 11: Criminal Action
Chapter 12: Barracuda
Chapter 13: To Jail or Not To Jail
Chapter 14: Aftermath of the Mistrial
Chapter 15: Piscology
Chapter 16: Persimmon's Decision
Chapter 17: The Phobos Sea
Chapter 18: Angler
Chapter 19: Prisoner
Chapter 20: Run, Cameron, Run
Chapter 21: Sabotage By Half
Chapter 22: The Promised Planet
Chapter 23: Guarded Treasure
Chapter 24: Invasion
Chapter 25: The Million
Chapter 26: Brothers
Chapter 27: 500
Chapter 28: The Phobos Sea Reprise
Chapter 29: Journey to the Hephaestus Sea
Chapter 30: Fort Barronym
Chapter 31: Rebels
Chapter 32: Second Chance
Chapter 33: Runaways
Chapter 34: The House in Satchanville
Chapter 35: Seven Noblemen
Chapter 36: Dinosaurs
Chapter 37: The Unexpected
Chapter 38: Recovery
Chapter 39: Forebaggage
Chapter 40: Halberd the Hero
Chapter 41: The Balance of Power
Chapter 42: The Hephaestus Sea
Chapter 43: The Guiding Fog and Septagon Island
Chapter 44: Andy the Celestial Turtle
Chapter 45: The Satchanville Copperheads
Chapter 46: Innovation Bay
Chapter 47: The Emerald City
Chapter 48: Mind Over Matter
Chapter 49: Left Unsolved
Chapter 50: Martin Magick
Chapter 51: Departure
Chapter 52: The Hephaestus Sea Reprise
Chapter 53: The Great Green Gamut
Chapter 54: A Whistler, A Lyrebird, and A Siren
Chapter 55: Fighting With Words
Chapter 56: Grudge the Gorilla
Chapter 57: The Sound of Fear and Doubt
Chapter 58: Wins and Losses
Chapter 59: The Atlas Sea
Chapter 61: Snyke's Penitentiary
Chapter 62: The Unusual Suspects
Chapter 63: Salvador
Chapter 64: The Gatekeeper, Zephyr
Chapter 65: Reunions
Chapter 66: Maximum Insecurity
Chapter 67: Virtual Capacity
Chapter 68: Conduit Training
Chapter 69: Back Then
Chapter 70: Terminus Est Initium
Chapter 71: History Made
Chapter 72: Preparations
Chapter 73: The Atlas Sea Reprise
Chapter 74: New Leadership
Chapter 75: The End of An Era

Chapter 60: Isaac Malevolo

4 0 0
Par roogymirror

 In the centre of the Southern Ice Plains, a thick iron shed concealed the entrance to an underground labyrinth. In the midst of this labyrinth was a large office, where a shadowy figure sat in his chair and smiled.

He pushed a button on his desk and waited. Footsteps echoed throughout the underground structure. Moments later, a young woman showed up and saluted the man sitting in the chair. The man's smile dropped.

"I need a report, Miss Wright."

"Sir. The Gentleman's Club has accepted those loyal to Indigo without question. Permission to speak freely?"

"But of course, granted."

"What do you think this means sir?"

"It's obvious, isn't it? We're entering a new age. Of course, the times that I would intimidate the Gentleman's Club with threats are over, those times served their purpose.

"Everything I have done is in accordance with my plan. Indigo has never once come to stop me, which may mean that my success or failure will be my own, and the outcome is already decided. It may also mean that she will come for me soon.

"We're entering a new era, Miss Wright. One where the Club accepts their role in the future, one where new faces will rise up to challenge authority.

"What I doubt they are ready for, however, is me. I have been planning this for years. I am... Isaac Malevolo!"

"Sir, who are you speaking to? I know your name."

This frustrated Isaac somewhat. He furrowed his brow and explained that he was saying his own name for motivational purposes, as he was reaffirming his sense of self. The two continued to talk about it some more, before Isaac dismissed Miss Wright, and turned around in his chair.

Sarah Lee Olivia Wright was a woman in her early twenties, and she had only worked for Malevolo for three years. She first met the man while running from the police after murdering her brother over food. Isaac Malevolo admired her tenacity and her will to survive. She soon learned she was not alone.

Isaac Malevolo's network of ruffians, known as the Bluster Mob, were often said to be the rivals of the Gentleman's Club. Where the Club sought to free the world of the Global powers that controlled it, the Mob wished to prevent that. They did not work for the government, far from it, but their actions against the Club were beneficial. As such, Isaac had struck a secret agreement three years ago.

Isaac had met with Jupiter, whom he suspected had loyalties to Indigo, and so was surprised when she agreed to his terms. He and the Bluster Mob would get some degree of immunity from prosecution as long as they could prove that they were an effective counter to the Club. To some degree, they were one, but soon things would change. His plan was about to be set in motion.

Sarah sat at the table in the break room, across from four of her fellow mobsters. Looking from right to left, she took mental note of each of them. Firstly, Fraser Albert Stanley Total. A guy in his late thirties, tall, well-built, said to have killed a hundred people because a woman rejected him. Secondly, Gregory Nathan Andrew Wrong. A man whose age remained a mystery, though he appeared to be about Malevolo's age. He was the Mob's main hitman. Next, Patrick Allen Tobias Half. He was a former bodyguard, who lost his job after slicing his boss in half. He had tried to kill Isaac many times, but failed. He still had a place in the Mob because he was welcome there. Last, but not least, Catherine Hanna Edith Whole. She had an eye for gossip, and a tendency to stab people in the back.

As it happened, they all had four names... each spelling out a four-letter word. This made things convenient when it came to the matter of codewords. Miss Wright was 'Slow', Mister Total was 'Fast', Mister Wrong was 'Gnaw', Mister Half was 'Path', and Miss Whole was 'Chew'.

The five of them ate lunch as the TV in the break room turned on. It was a live transmission from their boss, Isaac Malevolo.

"As you know, I have been hatching a plan for many years now. A plan that involves all of you, my mobsters. The world has sought the guidance of the Global Government, Indigo International, and the Gentleman's Club for millennia. This has always been to the detriment of my family, the Malevolo family. My ancestors were wronged by all three organisations... but the one power that bears full responsibility for this is none other than the Gentleman's Club!

"So, now that you know why I am doing all of this, here is where I let you know my plans in detail."

As Malevolo informed his subordinates, Dorothy Gale was promoted from Gentleman Recruit to Gentleman Minor.

Thomas Dreamer had come to congratulate her in her room.

"So, you're moving up in ranks, I see?"

"Yes, Thomas, all according to plan. By years end, I expect to be a full Gentleman Guide."

"Of course. You're rising up faster than Aouda did. With your performance being what it is, I wouldn't be surprised if you became leader."

"Yes well, a predicted outcome from our mutual benefactor doesn't hurt either."

The ceremony for the promotion was attended by several Gentleman Guides: Tristram Shandy, Captain Nemo, Michel Ardan, and Alexander Frankenstein.

Tristram's hair was blue, and he wanted everyone to know that he was so proud and excited. Nemo and Frankenstein were talking about plans to travel to the Terminus. Ardan's mind was not all there, as he was rambling about the moon.

Dorothy started paying attention to Nemo and Frankenstein's conversation partway through.

"Well, the Terminus offers opportunities for both of us, friend," said Captain Nemo.

"Look, you have an ancestral home that you can retire to. I have... a family curse. That island will bring me nothing but trouble, I know it."

"If you say so, but hey, maybe your mad science will actually benefit the world for once? I know it's difficult to accept that you may not be a completely moral person, but don't you owe it to yourself to find out about this part of you?"

"That's easy for you to say. Your family legacy has always been a benefit to the Gentleman's Club. The Nemo's... the most dangerous underwater pirates and invaluable members of the Club. The Frankensteins, however, are nothing but a shame. I have spent my life undoing the damage my family has caused."

"Well, if that's what you're after, surely the Frankenstein lab holds some answers. Learn what drove them all mad."

"I'm pretty sure whatever knowledge that lab holds is exactly why I can't go there. I might become like them."

Nemo and Frankenstein continued to argue about it. Nemo had an unruly confidence in his friend, that he could either fight the madness or use it to his advantage. Dorothy thought it was interesting. She would have to make a call later on.

On the stage, Phileas Fogg handed Dorothy the badge with her name and rank on it, and gave her the opportunity to give a speech.

"Thank you for this formal proceeding, what I'm sure will be the first of several as I become an ever-more important member of your organisation.

"I may not have the money or resources that most of the current Gentleman Guides have, but I endeavour to be a valuable asset to this organisation so that my name shall go down in history.

"When I left the dimension of Limbo, where my mind was so powerful that I ruled over an entire kingdom created entirely from my imagination, I was determined to make a similar impact here in the real world. The revolution we are enacting will be successful, in time, and I am a part of that. I feel it."

Her speech gained a standing ovation, and with that she departed and returned to her room.

She tapped some buttons on the device on her wrist - an interstellar communicator.

"Hello, am I speaking to Her Wisdom?" she asked.

The blurred holographic image projecting from her device answered her question with an apologetic 'no'.

"Sorry, Dorothy, this is Amperes. Her Wisdom is busy at this time, something you should probably know about, but that's for another day. What did you want to say?"

"I wanted to report that I am progressing as expected."

"Well, there's usually not much point in saying such things. She already knows your progress. Again, there are more pressing matters to oversee at the moment. I can't say much more than that, so farewell."

Amperes was right, Indigo had much to consider that day. She knew that Isaac Malevolo had just finalised his plan, something that could shake the Gentleman's Club to its core if not dealt with in the proper manner. Thankfully, her plans had accounted for several problem areas, Isaac's plan being one of them.

Indigo was also aware of the breakout on the horizon. Snyke's Penitentiary was overflowing with dangerous inmates, many prepared to work together to accomplish their goals. As always things were going according to her plans.

As part of her plan, she had decided that she would be referred to as 'Her Wisdom' as her real name was becoming known to more and more people. She did not want the fear or anger surrounding her name to become an obstacle to her goals. She knew that at this particular time and place, more discretion would be required.

On the deck of the Psychic's Revenge, the Detective Pirates all met to voice their concerns over Crock's absence.

"You know, Cameron has done a surprisingly good job of steering this ship," said Milangelo.

Cameron beamed with pride before Milangelo continued.

"But that doesn't change the fact that Crock was a natural. He learned his techniques from the fishermen of the Phobos, and the sailors of the Terminus. He is a vital part of our crew."

"It's more than that, Milangelo," said James. "He is strong, capable, experienced, and empathetic. He has helped give our crew someone to admire, and work to be more like."

"I didn't know our captain could get so sentimental," said Patricia. "I think it's sweet that you all miss him so much."

"You say that, but I can see you tearing up," said Karnilla.

"The old man's grown on me too, okay?"

"She knows, Patricia. It's okay to cry," said Cameron.

"All these genetic advancements and yet human emotion still remains as powerful as ever," said Joneas.

"I may not have quite the same fondness for your helmsman as most of you, due to being relatively new, but I value the loyalties between crewmates. If each of you is not prepared to storm this Snyke's Penitentiary to free your friend, then I will no longer be part of this crew."

"Of course we'll break him out!" said Persimmon, amazed by his own words. Prior to becoming a pirate, he would never have thought about or encouraged a prison breakout.

"I'm not too familiar with him either," said Jacket. "But it seems like the right thing to do is to get him back."

"Again, if you can pull off a breakout, then I'm right there with you," said Roman.

"Well it's not like there was ever a doubt," said Brandon. "I think the main issue we came to discuss today was more about how to deal with his absence in the meantime."

"Brandon is right," said Milangelo. "The next month and a half will be emptier without Crock, but far from incomplete."

"So, we should be happy that the rest of us are still on board?" asked Cameron.

"Honestly, Crock would fight the lot of you for being so down in the dumps!" said Patricia, laughing.

This one remark lightened the mood considerably. With a renewed sense of responsibility to break their friend out of prison, and a positive outlook on the situation, the Detective Pirates resolved to move forward, for Snyke's Penitentiary.

In Isaac Malevolo's underground base, he had finished explaining his plans to the key members of the Bluster Mob.

"That's quite the plan," said Chew. "Colour me impressed."

"Colour me with crayons," snapped Gnaw. "I kill people for a living and this plan has me dying. Where's the fun in that?"

"You always did have trouble seeing the bigger picture," said Slow. "Sacrifices will need to be made."

"Why can't Isaac be the one to sacrifice himself? It would do us all a favour. Or, me at least," said Path.

"You're all wrong," said Fast. "The path forward is bumpy but we all must travel as far as we are intended."

Isaac gave them all a long, icy stare. Their bickering was so typical and hardly conducive to his master plans. The monitor broadcasting his face to them shook and grew dark.

"If you don't do precisely as I instruct," his voice boomed as he spoke. "Then you will not live to regret it! This plan is the plan, and I cannot have you messing things up."

Isaac was certain he had it all planned out. The only thing his intellect could not anticipate, however, was the ever-elusive Indigo. For if there were ever anyone capable of stopping him, he figured that it would have to be someone in her position, with her capabilities. Unbeknownst to him, he was just another piece on the board, about to make a move that would leave himself wide open for attack.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

2.5K 458 20
Life is a roller-coaster of emotions. Discovering the upcoming continental war between humans and creatures thought to be mythical is a BIG-BONE hind...
266 32 7
ᴀ ᴄᴏɪɴᴄɪᴅᴇɴᴛᴀʟ ᴍᴇᴇᴛ ᴛᴜʀɴs ɪɴᴛᴏ ᴀ ᴜɴᴋɴᴏᴡɪɴɢ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ʙᴜᴛ ᴅᴇᴇᴘᴇɴɪɴɢ ɪɴᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ғᴀᴄᴛs ᴍᴀᴋᴇs ᴛʜᴇᴍ....... .......ғɪɴᴅ ᴏᴜᴛ.. As it continues.....𝙸...
14.3K 1.1K 89
{COMPLETED in 2018} Sometimes being nice and forgiving isn't the best route. Steward Poo has been bullied since 4th grade by his peers, teachers, an...
3.8K 1.8K 54
Wandering the vast oceans with nothing but the unrecalled past of the identity that one could not ponder. In a huge vessel that guides the dreamers...