Respect

By Urban_Elle

Maia is always looking for ways to elevate and protect her peace. She may be a successful business woman, but... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Epilogue

Chapter 24

1.8K 66 12
By Urban_Elle

"Oh, my love
A thousand kisses from you is never too much
I just don't wanna stop
Oh, my love
A million days in your arms is never too much
I just don't wanna stop."
Luther Vandroos "Never Too Much"

Kobe

This car ride kind of reminds me of how it is when I'm in an Uber because there is complete silence the entire ride. I get in, the driver follows the directions on the GPS, he or she drops me off at my destination, and I give them a 5 star rating.

I'm currently driving Maia and I back to Momma's house here in Lawrenceville after we picked up a surprise for Kyrie. A few years ago, we got her this big house and it is like the perfect place to have a wedding because of the nearly 2 acre landscape behind the house. The boys and I installed a pool back there with a tall fence around it, while Momma has a garden filled with fruits and vegetables. Despite the fact that it's a gated estate, kids are free to come and play because Momma allows them. I turned to my right as I stopped at a red light to see Maia looking out the window.

"Why are you so quiet over there?"

"Nothing. You're the one who hasn't said a word since we left the dealer."

"I thought you were in a funk." I shrugged.

"I'm not. I'm just trying to predict Kyrie's reaction."

"He's going to love it. He's been talking about getting one for the longest." The voice from the Bluetooth system of Momma's Nissan Altima interrupted us.

"Incoming call from Kyrie."

"Talk of the devil." I pressed the phone button on the steering wheel to answer it. "Yo."

"Y'all been gone for a good minute. Did you get lost in your own city?"

"Never that."

"Then, where are you guys?"

"We just stopped at the gas station since the tank had a quarter of gas left."

"Okay. Well, I was just calling to see if y'all were okay."

"We are. Don't worry, we'll be back soon." Maia assured him.

"Alright, later."

"Bye. Do you think he believed us?"

"He's probably a little suspicious, but he should trust us." Suddenly, Maia's phone started ringing and it was a FaceTime call.

"Let me catch ya vibe, let's just take our time
Just relax your mind and take it easy
Don't have to decide, you do, I do, I
Don't have to be mine, let's take it easy."

"He's calling me now. He's going to know we're lying."

"Don't answer." The phone eventually stopped ringing. Then, Kyrie called her on regular.

"Hello." She answered in the sweetest tone possible, putting it on speaker.

"Why didn't you answer my FaceTime?"

"Something is wrong my camera. It's so blurry all of a sudden. I need to get it fixed." She can lie on command; I'm impressed.

"It was fine yesterday." He pointed out.

"I dropped it this morning in the sink. Now that I think about it, it's probably water damage. I should put it in a bag of rice." I had to hold in my laughter.

"What are you two up to?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why are you answering my question with a question?"

"Why are you asking me all of these questions?"

"You know what? I'm going to let you do you. I'll see you whenever you get back. Stay safe."

"We will." Kyrie cut the line. "Okay. He is pissed and I feel bad now."

"He'll get over it. He just really cares about you."

"Can we actually stop at a gas station, so I can get him—."

"A honey bun. No problem. We can also get some ice."

"Thank you." We soon pulled to RaceTrac and I made a mental note to get something for the guy that was trailing behind us with the gift. I held the door open as Maia walked in. I couldn't help but scrunch up my face when the air forcefully blew into my face. We went in opposite directions of the store. I got two bags of ice with two bottles of Gatorade and one bottle of Sprite. I went to look for Maia, so we could check out and I saw her talking to this guy. Her hands were full and she seemed to be in a daze even after he walked away.

"Are you okay?" She jumped at the sound of my voice.

"Yeah."

"You're acting like you just saw a ghost."

"I just thought I saw somebody I knew."

"Who?"

"It doesn't matter. Let's go pay for this stuff, so we can leave."

"Okay." When she dumped the stuff onto the counter, I could tell what was for who. She got Kyrie's honey bun, tropical skittles for Benita, a Snickers bar for Kareem, a bag of Doritos for our helper, a bag of Fritos for herself, and a bag of Ritz cheese bits for me. We paid for everything and hopped in the car soon after. I switched on the ignition and backed up out of the parking space. Once we were on the road, I went to my playlists and pressed play on Gunna's 'Baby Birkin'. I saw Maia make a funny face.

"You don't like my man?"

"I think he's cool, but I think he's trying too hard to be Young Thug. Plus, I prefer Lil Baby over him."

"Everybody knows Gunna is better."

"I wouldn't have known who Gunna was if it wasn't for Lil Baby."

"Wow, I'll just put him on then."

"You don't have to do that."

"Nah, I don't mind. I want to see how much of a fan you are." I switched to 'Close Friends' and I saw a smile creep onto her face. I really don't understand why females love this song. I wasn't surprised when she knew all the words. When we got to the house and after I settled the guy, we carefully entered the house trying to stay out of Kyrie's sight. I saw my cousin Kenia in the kitchen, trying to calm her baby girl down from all that hollering she was doing.

"Kenia, I haven't seen you in a while girl."

"Whose fault is that? You must be Maia."

"Yeah, how did you know?"

"We have this group chat and Kyrie told us to be on our best behavior when you got here. He showed us what you looked like and told us how amazing you are."

"Oh really?" Maia looked at me and I rubbed the back of my neck, looking away.

"This is the first time I've seen him in love."

"I have that kind of effect on everyone, but that's by the way. What's wrong with this beautiful angel?"

"I don't know. I've checked her diaper, fed her, and tried bouncing her but nothing works."

"Here, let me try." Kenia gently placed Amora into Maia's arms and she began to quiet down.

"How did you do that?"

"Sometimes when the mom is stressed, the baby is too."

"I'm just tired."

"I'll watch her, while you take a breather."

"Really?"

"Yeah, it's no problem."

"Thank you so much. You really are amazing." Kenia looked relieved and skipped outside to the closest thing she'll have to a vacation in the next 18 years.

"Shoot, I forgot that I have to get ready."

"Let me take her." I offered.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I could pull a prank on Benita."

"You are so wrong for that."

"She'll be alright. So, you'll text me when you're almost ready. Then, I'll approach him and tell him that you're mad at him so that he'll go upstairs to meet you. When everything is set up, I'll send you a message and you'll bring him downstairs to the garage."

"Okay. Let's do this." This plan is foolproof.

Kyrie is going to turn that frown upside down in a little bit.
*************************************************

Kyrie

Man, Maia has me wearing this hot *ss outfit. Even though I just splashed some cold water on my face, I'm already dripping sweat again. Lounging on this lawn chair with a big umbrella over my head is really pointless since there's no breeze.

Maia asked if she could style me today and I didn't mind since she's supposed to have a great fashion sense. She does, but she forgot to think about the weather. I didn't complain because she's my girl and she at least knew my sizes. As I tried to loosen my collar, I looked up to see Kobe walking towards Benita and I with a baby in his hands.

"Whose baby is that?" She questioned him when he stood in front of us.

"My baby." He answered nonchalantly.

"What?" We both screeched.

"I'm just pulling your legs! This is Kenia's baby, Amora."

"Dang, she's gotten so big." I commented.

"And she's so gorgeous. Isn't that right, Amora?" Benita smiled as Kobe sat down next to her and she laughed in return, showing off those beautiful gums.

"Where's Maia?" I asked him.

"She's heated after Kenia just told her some things about you and she stormed upstairs." I immediately got up at that information.

"What did she say?"

"I can't even tell you because they were so terrible. You better go check up on her."

"What the hell?" I mumbled under my breath. I rushed into the house and climbed up the stairs to my room. When I opened the door, I saw Maia applying some black lipstick. She was dressed in all black leather. When she went out earlier, she had on a white tank top with camouflage shorts. Maia looked at me and rolled her eyes before going back to what she was doing. I shut the door before appealing to her.

"Look, whatever Kenia told you about me is a lie."

"Mhmmm."

"I'm serious. She's never been messy before, so I don't know where all of this drama is coming from. I don't understand why Kobe didn't back me up."

"Maybe because he knew what she was saying was true." She finally spoke while popping her lips and checking her teeth for stains.

"Okay, what did she say? Maia. Maia." She didn't utter a word. Her phone then buzzed on top of the dresser. She looked at the screen and held it tightly in her left hand as she put away the lipstick. Maia walked to the door and I blocked her from exiting the room.

"Excuse me, Kyrie."

"You're not going to hear me out?"

"No. Now, please step aside."

"We need to sit down and talk about this."

"Did I say anything was wrong?"

"You're acting different towards me and I want to know why."

"Figure it out yourself. Please move away from the door." I sighed. I don't really have a choice, so I let her walk out but I was hot on her trail as she made her way downstairs.

"You have to tell me something, Maia." She looked at  me with a stern face.

"Read my lips; leave me alone!" She exasperated, clearly getting annoyed by my constant pestering but I'm not letting up.

"When you're upset, my mind is not at rest."

"Do you really want to know what the problem is?" Maia smirked as she stood by the door that opens to the garage.

"Yes." Without replying, she opened the door and I followed behind her, slightly confused. The light automatically switched on and I could see my family standing there with their phones in their hands, smiling from ear to ear. In the middle of them was a motorcycle. Maia picked up a helmet from one of the handles.

"I want to take a ride on my boyfriend's new motorcycle, but all he wants to do is talk." She laughed. I covered my face as a grin was creeping onto my face.

"You really got this for me?"

"Yes."

"I can't believe this. I don't know what to say." I walked around the customized motorcycle and I instantly fell in love with it.

"If you don't want it, I'll take it." Kobe said, about to hop onto the seat before I pushed him away.

"N*gga, get your crusty hands off my bike." I turned towards Maia. "You are amazing. I can't believe you planned this whole thing."

"I couldn't have done it without your wonderful family."

"I love y'all and I love you." I picked her up and spun her around.

"I love you too." She kissed my lips.

"Let's go for a ride." I suggested.

"There's nothing I would rather do."

"You two better hurry and come back. The food is almost done." My Momma instructed and I nodded, putting on my helmet. Kobe opened the garage door as Maia put on her helmet. She then wrapped her arms around my waist as she got comfortable behind me.

"Are you good?"

"Yeah!" She yelled over the sound of the engine revving up. I kicked up the kickstand, pulled the clutch lever, pressed the shifter down to first gear, released the clutch, and twisted the throttle. Once we were out of the garage, I put my feet on the pegs and we were off.

Maia is definitely a keeper.

"Look at him, he can't wipe that grin off his face." Kareem teased me. I didn't say anything because it was true. I looked real good, cruising with my baby on my brand new machine.

"I guess you forgive me now. Oh, I did get you your Little Debnies honey bun." Maia handed it over to me as she sat in my lap, playing in my hair. I'm feeling really happy and sleepy right now, especially after eating like two plates of food.

"I'm about to say something I never thought I would say to anyone."

"What is it?"

"I want you to have this honey bun. I know you only like those nasty oatmeal pies, but it would make me happy to see you eat this because of what you did for me."

"Awww, I would be honored but don't complain when it's all gone."

"It's all yours." I put my hands up in surrender before kissing her cheek and wrapping my arms around her stomach. I watched her tear away the plastic and take a bite out of the sweet treat.

"So, tell me about everybody here."

"I can't name everybody because some of them are my Momma's friends and neighbors, but I'll tell you about the close family members. Well, you know Uncle Will who's over there on the grill and my cousin Kenia. You see that lady in the red jumpsuit with shades on?"

"Yeah, she's got those sunglasses on the bridge of her nose like she's giving someone the stank eye."

"That's Auntie Nina, Uncle Will's ex wife. She can't cook, but she always makes people taste her potato salad. That's probably why their marriage ended so early, but nobody knows for sure. The woman talking with my Momma is his new wife, Auntie Gina. They have a daughter Lisa, who has those bows in her head and is playing tag with the other kids."

"He certainly has a type: beautiful melanin skin, brown eyes, prominent cheekbones, and a pixie haircut. They remind me of Emayatzy Corinealdi because of the looks, and Cookie and Anika because they look ready to shred each other into pieces."

"I'm still waiting for the day they'll scrap. I got my money on Auntie Gina. The quiet ones are usually the most dangerous."

"You never know. Auntie Nina may want to get her pound of flesh because she's probably not over the divorce."

"Let's bet. If I win, you have to let me do your makeup and you'll keep it on all day." I wagered.

"I know you want to see me looking like a clown, but I'm not worried because when I win, you and I will go to this karaoke club where you will sing one of my favorite songs."

"You're on." We shook on it and I chuckled. Either way, one of us is going to be embarrassed.

"Alright, continue."

"Uncle Raymond is over there with that bushy mustache and top hat, looking like Dennis Graham. He always has his earpiece in, so don't be alarmed when he's talking sh*t because he's probably not talking to you. Uncle Craig is over there with that red Falcons jersey. He loves arguing over sports and he claims to be the best spades player in the world. His son is with his girlfriend over by the pool. Cousin Leo and Momma have a love and hate relationship because she always catches him smoking in the house. Uncle Mario is wearing that blue T-shirt. He doesn't want to accept the fact that he's old, so tries to keep with the latest trends through his dressing and dancing skills. Cousin Destiny is the one being extra with those shorts. Just like her name says, she will try to steal your destiny. If you come to a cookout with your man, don't let her fix his plate because he will be going home with her."

"That is not cute. They should have named her Swiper."

"Preach!" Benita agreed.

"Her momma is Auntie Claire with the yellow sundress and she is so dramatic. She isn't allowed to say grace because it would take forever since she lowkey throws shade at everyone and speaks in tongue like she's casting out evil spirits. Auntie Adelaide and Uncle Jonathan are the two lovebirds dancing together. Every year, they swear up and down that they're going to leave each other but we all know that's a lie because they love each other. They just get on each other's nerves sometimes. Cousin Milo is the one in charge of the music and he's a wannabe rapper, always saying that he's going to drop a fire mixtape."

"Why are you hating on his dreams?"

"We've all gone to the studio with him and his music is really bad." Kobe explained.

"Most rap today is terrible anyway, but carry on."

"Grandma Carol is the person you want advice from because she'll talk in a soothing voice unlike Grandma Anastasia who will slap you upside your head when you tell her about a mistake you made before she gives you advice."

"Grandma Carol also makes sure you're not sitting down when everybody else is dancing." Kareem added.

"Prince has the cornrows, looking like Mario from back in the day. He isn't technically family, but he's treated as such because he was always around and remained loyal." I finished.

"Wow, that is a lot of information to process."

"You don't have to remember all of. their names. Just remember that I have a crazy family, but it's all love."

"Love endures all things."

"It sure does." I planted multiple kisses on her lips before Grandma Carol came around.

"Save all that lovey dovey stuff for later and come dance with the family." We all looked at each other and started laughing, rising from our seats. Beyoncé's song 'Before I Let Go' was playing. I don't know why people hate on it. I think it's a great mix of the original, 'Candy', and DJ Jubilee's 'Get It Ready, Ready'.

Let me take my two left feet over to the dance area and have a good time with the people I love.

"Momma, have you seen Maia?" I walked into the kitchen after I got dressed. I got out of the shower and Maia wasn't in bed. I know she's tired after showing off her double Dutch skills, schooling us in Dominoes, and helping to clean up after the cookout was over. We didn't shower together because I know I wouldn't have been able to keep my hands off of her.

"Who is that?"

"Are you serious? I knew that there was fishy something behind how nice you've been since we came down here."

"Boy, I don't know anybody named Maia. The only person I know that you came with is my daughter in law, your wife."

"Momma, relax. We've only been together for a year."

"If you don't marry her, I'll know that I only have two sons."

"Are you really going to disown me like that?"

"If you act up and refuse to listen to me, I will."

"Fine, I'll consider what you said. Can you at least tell me where she is right now before you start making wedding plans?"

"She stepped outside to make a call. I'm going to bed." She announced, walking upstairs with a bottle of water in her hand.

"Thank you. Good night."

"Good night, baby boy." I shook my head and looked through the blinds to see Maia sitting at one of the tables with her phone in her hand. I could hear a beeping noise, signaling that it was a FaceTime call.

"Hi, Mrs. Duncan." She waved. I quietly opened the sliding door to step outside. I know it looks like I'm being nosy, but I'm not. Okay, I am.

Bite me.

Mrs. Duncan is a nice woman though. It's always the good people who are afflicted with diseases, while the evil ones still roam the streets creating havoc.

"How are you darling and my beautiful babies?"

"I'm fine. The children are doing great. They miss the snow and you even more. How are you?"

"I'm doing well by the grace of God. I miss all of you as well. I wish the holidays would just hurry up and come, so I can see you guys."

"I know. Joshua seems to be taking on soccer, so I bought these nets for the backyard."

"I guess he's going to play sports just like his father did."

"That's what it looks like and Lauryn is slowly becoming the next Amy Sherald. She loves to paint and the fridge has no more space to hang up her masterpieces. I might have to turn my home office into a gallery."

"She's using that creative mind of hers that she inherited from you. You are doing such a wonderful job with them."

"Thank you. It's all thanks to God."

"Before I forget, how is Kyrie?"

He's wonderful. I guess you were right about him."

"I'll always right." They both laughed. I wonder what she said about me.

"You probably noticed how late I'm calling you, but I just have to ask you a question."

"Go ahead, dear. I'm all ears."

"I know this may sound crazy, but does Zahair have a twin brother?" What?

"Did you see him?"

"No, I'm not saying he's alive. It's just I saw someone today that looked just like him. I don't if I was hallucinating or something. I just had to make sure."

"The truth is he did."

"What happened?"

"When I was pregnant, I was expecting two boys. When I gave birth at 38 weeks, Zahair was delivered first and his brother Amari came out about four minutes later. Zahair was fine, but Amari was sort of blue. The doctors did some tests and they found out that the oxygen levels in his blood were low. While I was carrying Zahair the next day, I nearly dropped him when a cardiologist told me he had a congenital heart defect called total anoamalous pulmonary venous return. I honestly didn't care about the medical terminology she was using. I just wanted to learn the next course of action. She said that he needed open heart surgery to survive. I prayed all through the surgery and it was a success. He was okay until three weeks later. His heart stopped when they were changing the catheter that provided him with his medications. They worked on his little heart for 20 minutes, but he never came back."

"I never knew that. I'm so sorry. Did Zahair know?"

"He did. I had to tell him after a friend of mine who I hadn't seen since my pregnancy asked it was him or his brother. He was upset I hadn't told him sooner, but I didn't know how to."

"It's not your fault. So, there may be a possibility that he's alive?"

"Even though we moved after everything, I think they would have contacted us."

"Unless someone wanted a baby to raise as their own."

"What do we do?"

"Don't worry, I'll have someone look into it because I don't think I'll be able to let it go without knowing the truth. I'm not promising anything. I just had to inform you."

"I know. Thank you for everything. You have definitely given me strength these past months since my cancer has gone into partial remission."

"Are you and your sister getting along?"

"She can be a pain in the butt sometimes, but I'm happy to have her around." Maia giggled at her remark.

"That's good. Extend my greetings to her."

"I will and give my babies a bunch of kisses for me."

"I will. Good night."

"Good night, sweetie." The call ended and I saw Maia yawn. I didn't know how to approach her because it would be obvious that I was listening to her conversation.

"I know you're standing there, Kyrie." Busted.

"How did you know?" I walked up next to her and helped her up from the chair.

"I could see your shadow."

"Oh. You okay?"

"Yeah. Something new always comes up, but I'll find a way to get through it."

"I'm here if you need someone to talk to."

"I know and I'll never forget that. Let's go to bed." She pulled my hand and we went inside. Today was a long, eventual day and I don't have any complaints.

Nothing is ever too much when it comes to matters of the heart.

*Vote and comment. Thank you 🙏 for reading 📖!*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

301K 18.8K 64
NOTE: THIS IS A SEQUEL TO EYES ON US STORY! PLEASE READ BOOK ONE FIRST BEFORE READING THIS ONE. STORY ARE FOR MATURE AUDIENCES ONLY! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~...
26.6K 1.1K 91
"we will struggle not the way people do and you will hurt me but not the way everyone else can and you will love me harder than anything I've ever k...
121K 4.4K 45
[𝐎𝐍 π‡πŽπ‹πƒ] 𝒏𝒐𝒖𝒏 𝒂 π’”π’•π’“π’π’π’ˆ π’‡π’†π’†π’π’Šπ’π’ˆ 𝒐𝒇 π’˜π’‚π’π’•π’Šπ’π’ˆ 𝒕𝒐 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 π’”π’π’Žπ’†π’•π’‰π’Šπ’π’ˆ 𝒐𝒓 π’˜π’Šπ’”π’‰π’Šπ’π’ˆ 𝒇𝒐𝒓 π’”π’π’Žπ’†π’•π’‰οΏ½...
16K 722 19
in which she must deal with her husband's infidelity and the love she still has left for him. in which he must find the broken pieces of the love tha...