Respect

By Urban_Elle

Maia is always looking for ways to elevate and protect her peace. She may be a successful business woman, but... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Epilogue

Chapter 22

2.3K 80 35
By Urban_Elle

"And I like that
I don't really give a fuck if I was just the only one
Who likes that
I never like to follow, follow, I would rather chase the sun
Oh me, oh me, oh me, oh my
I like that."
Janelle Monáe "I Like That"

Maia

I want to go on a cruise this summer.

This idea has been on my mind for the longest. I really need a vacation to relieve some stress. Traveling will also be a great experience for the kids because I want them to have adventurous and colorful childhood memories. I think Miami would be the ideal destination for our first family trip even though I'm not much of a beach person. Kyrie promised to take me to all of his favorite spots and teach me how to ride the waves since he's such an expert. Plus, there has to be a reason why college students love going there for spring break and tourists visit year round.

As long as I don't melt like butter or freeze like a popsicle, I'm down to go anywhere no matter the cost. I just want to relax and spend quality time with my babies. Look at me thinking about the future when I currently have more pressing matters to attend to.

I'm so hungry, I could eat a horse, but I don't feel like getting up.

Last night, I came straight home from the office because I was extremely exhausted. Things have gotten so hectic at work these past few months since we're expanding. There are countless meetings and the paperwork keeps piling up. Sometimes it feels like I'm choking me to death and I need to go to my happy place for a while, which is my lovely bed. The kids have been with my parents since yesterday morning after they volunteered to watch them. They'll be back in my arms after the party tonight.

I was too tired to cook, so I ordered a pizza for dinner. While I waited for it to be delivered, I showered to wake myself up a little because I was more than ready to count sheep. Then, I set up the tv show I've been binge watching lately on Amazon Prime, Monk. I don't know how many times I've gone through the entire series. All I can say is, I can't get enough of it.

You would say that I was acting like Kyrie was coming over when I slipped on my lace trim nightgown. It's not a crime to look sexy while pigging out; I should make that a new trend. I don't make it a habit to eat in my room, but last night was an exception because I knew that I would fall asleep after filling up my tank.

I ate an entire cheese pizza on my own. In my defense, it was only 12 inches. I also drank a couple of Honest Kids juice boxes that are meant for Lauryn and Joshua as I laid down, staring at the tv. I'm kind of glad nobody called me except for my Mom, so I could talk to the kids. I was able to reset with no interruptions, but it also felt like I didn't have any friends.

I woke up 5 hours later at around midnight and nearly peed on myself because my bladder was begging to be emptied. I haven't been able to fall asleep since then and my stomach is rumbling like thunder during a storm. I don't want to leave my warm cocoon and remove my eyes from the tv.

Suddenly, I heard the doorbell ring. Now, I have a reason to get up. I covered up my body with my pink kimono robe before leaving my room to answer the door. I looked through the peephole to see Kyrie covering his face with this huge vase of roses. I knew it was him because of the rings on his fingers. I got so excited because I haven't really seen him in person this week with my busy schedule.

"Baby!" He revealed his handsome smile and I got on my tippy toes. I wrapped my arms around his neck to plant a kiss on his sweet lips that I missed.

"What's up? Happy birthday, beautiful." Kyrie handed me a floral gift bag that I eagerly accepted as he carried the flowers into the kitchen. I locked the door before following him.

"Thank you. I wasn't expecting to see you this early."

"I wanted to surprise you."

"What's in here?" I pulled out the rectangular box that was inside the bag and shook it. It sounded like another box was inside. Maybe it's jewelry.

"Well, open it and see for yourself." He replied and I playfully rolled my eyes. I slid off the pink bow and tried not to tear the gold gift wrap into a bunch of pieces, but failed miserably. I removed the tissue paper to read what was on the cover of the smaller box.

"Ancestry DNA." I've always wanted one of these kits. I think I have a little French in me because I love croissants.

"We both know that you're mixed because your Mom is Filipino and your Dad is African American, but I thought you would want to find out what else is in your family."

"Wow." I uttered.

"You don't like it?"

"No, I love it. This is so out of the box and thoughtful. Thank you so much."

"You're welcome. This is just one of your presents. You'll get the rest tonight." He winked, causing me to giggle.

"I'll hold you to that. These flowers look radiant and smell amazing. Let me read this note."

On this day, exactly 26 years ago, a beautiful angel was born to Princess and Johnny Sullivan. Fortunately, she fell in love with me and made me the luckiest guy in the world. So, I will do everything in my power to make her happy. Happy birthday, Maia!

"Awww, this is so sweet. You're the best!" I placed smooches all over his face and he wasn't complaining.

"I'm about to eat some cereal. Do you want some?"

"Yeah, I haven't eaten anything yet and I'm starving."

"Me too." I went to the cabinet and pulled out two bowls with built in straws. I walked over to the pantry where I keep the boxes of cereal.

"Frosted Flakes or Coco Puffs?"

"Coco Puffs." He answered and I nodded, taking out the box. After I took the gallon of milk out of the bridge, I was ready to pour the milk before Kyrie stopped me.

"Woah, what are you doing?"

"Making a bowl of cereal." I said, stating the obvious.

"And you're putting the milk first?"

"Yeah. What's wrong with that?"

"Only serial killers do that." He is not serious.

"It doesn't matter whether you put the milk or the cereal first in the bowl."

"Yes, it does. Okay, do you put ketchup on the fries or do you put it on the side?"

"I like smothering them with ketchup." It's a little messy, but it allows for the ketchup to really get in there like you're marinating some meat.

"How have we been going out for this long?" Kyrie gasped.

"That's coming from someone who bites into a KitKat bar instead of breaking off each piece like you're supposed to." I eyed him.

"It's so time consuming. People act like it's not like a regular candy bar."

"It's not. I like when the cereal is more than milk and it floats. When I pour the milk first, I can see how much cereal I should put in."

"I guess." Kyrie kept a stank look on his face as he watched me fix our bowls of cereal. It didn't take us long to finish our cereal, especially because Kyrie wanted to prove his dominance by racing me.

We went to my room after and got in my favorite cuddling position. We were spooning as we continued watching tv. During the intro of episode 16 in season 3, he lifted up my left leg and started grinding into me.

"What are you doing?" I chuckled.

"I'm just practicing."

"Stop, you're distracting me." I whined. He kissed my ear before returning my leg to its original position and wrapping his arms around me again. Kyrie got really into the show and one of my favorite moments of this episode came on. It's where Adrian Monk is talking to the social worker before he temporarily becomes the guardian of a little boy named Tommy.

"Now before I go, do you have any questions for me?"

"Yes, yes, I have a couple of questions. What does he eat?"

"He...eats food. He eats whatever you eat, only in smaller portions."

"Oh. So he's like a person."

"This dude is funny." Kyrie commented, chuckling. I could feel the vibrations on my back.

"Yeah." My eyes became droopy and I fell asleep in Kyrie's embrace.

"I got a feelin'. That tonight's gonna be a good night." I sang and nodded my head to the tune in my head.

It sure is, The Black Eyed Peas.

Today, there is no such thing as work for me at home or the office. People are going to serve me because it's my special day. I sound like a b*tch. I can't help it because it's my birthday!

I'm 27 and counting.

Kyrie woke me up when my Dad and left the two of us alone because he had to run a few errands. My Dad came to make breakfast; a classic tradition. It was his signature chicken and waffle sandwich, consisting of buttermilk fried chicken, avocado, a sunny side egg, cheddar cheese, and a maple syrup hot sauce in between two waffles. He doesn't cook very often, but when he does, he is a beast in the kitchen. To be honest, if Benita didn't call me to say happy birthday, I would have missed the photoshoot I'm going to right now because we lost track of time.

I picked up my tumbler as I stopped at a red light. I sucked on the straw to discover that the cup was basically empty. Because it's naturally heavy, I didn't realize that I ran out of coconut water. It placed it back down into the cup holder and tapped on the steering wheel as I thought about my birthday photoshoot.

My photos are being taken by Adrienne Raquel. She came highly recommended song she's becoming a prominent photographer and art director who knows how to make women of color shine behind the camera. She is gorgeous and really nice. Adrienne has done shoots for Yara Shahidi, Jackie Aina, and Lizzo in New York, where she's based. I made all the necessary arrangements for her to come down to L.A. to take my pictures. Other than the fact that I want to support a sister, I love the aesthetic vibe I've seen in Raquel's previous shoots. I would have had the company's photographer, Amber Asaly do the shoot, but I didn't want to interfere with her vacation. She's been working nonstop on numerous projects this year.

The glam squad includes fashion stylist Manny Jay, nail technician Temeka Jackson, makeup artist Josie Melano, and hair stylist Kahh Spence. They are all professional and amazing at what they do. Though I have Tokyo Stylez and Arrogant Tae on my wishlist to do my hair, I can always count on Kahh to come through even if it's last minute. Benita is still my girl and that's why she's in charge of constructing my whole look tonight.

I reached the studio in Beverly Hills and after greeting everyone, we got straight to it because we had so many looks to go through. When we were doing the close-up shots, Adrienne moved from behind the camera to look at me.

"I'm squinting, aren't I?" I asked.

"A little bit." She smiled.

"Sorry, I'm just anticipating the flash."

"Just relax, you're doing great. Clear your mind and imagine that you're taking selfies in front of the mirror."

"Without the duck lips."

"Without the duck lips." She sent me a thumbs up and I laughed. "Hold it right there. That's a perfect shot." I went to the dentist last week and my teeth are shining like pearly whites. Perfect timing.

"My boobs look so big." I admired, looking at the computer screen as we went through the photos to choose the ones that I wanted to be printed. Everybody snickered at my remark.

"The light was hitting your face right every time. It looks like you're glowing." Adrienne commented. I hummed in agreement. I love how these pictures show how I can easily transition from modelesque to playful.

"I absolutely love the shots with the white Sergio Hudson blazer covered in aurora borealis Swarovski crystals with the green holographic pumps. I think Beyoncé wore this blazer to Michael B. Jordan's birthday party last year. I don't look slutty despite the fact that I'm not wearing pants; the outfit gives off a classy and sexy vibe. I think I really adore those photos because I had my bangs back. Black hair always looks the best on me." The black and white pictures kind of remind me of how a bride would look when she's getting ready for her wedding.

"I agree. These pictures overall send the message that you're a successful businesswoman who knows how to live to the fullest through sexual, recreational, and professional activities."

"You did a fabulous job with all of these outfits from head to toe." I praised Manny.

"I know." I shook my head before going to get dressed in my regular clothes. While Kahh fixed my hair, I got a special surprise from my small crew.

"We couldn't let you leave with nothing on your birthday." Temeka handed me a box of cupcakes.

"You guys shouldn't have." I cooed.

"Your birthday only comes once a year. You deserve to be pampered."

"Thank you guys for everything today. I had an amazing time. This couldn't have been as fun and smooth without your help." I hugged everybody.

"It's our pleasure. The photos are going to be beautiful when they come out and I'll personally bring them to your office on Monday." Adrienne said.

"Thank you again. I'll see you all at the party later."

"For sure." Josie replied and I waved as I walked out of the building to go to my car.

Next stop, Descanso Gardens.

"Hello?" I picked up the phone as I stood on the bridge in the middle of the pond.

"Maia, what garden are you in right now?"

"The Japanese Garden. Why?"

"Nothing, I just wanted to know. I'll talk to you later."

"Okay, bye."

"Bye." That was weird. I continued following the cobblestone walkway until I found a bench where I had a perfect view of the turtles and ducks in the water. The sun wasn't beating too much on me since I was in the shade. As I was taking a couple of pictures of the beautiful flowers, a voice approached me and caused me to turn around.

"Baby girl, I heard it was your birthday."

"Oh my god!" I got up and covered my mouth.

"Surprised to see me, huh?" She walked closer to me with her arms wide open and I threw myself into her arms.

"Yes. It's nice to finally meet you." I couldn't believe I was touching B. Simone.

"Likewise. You have someone who really loves you because he did everything to get me here."

"Are you talking about Kyrie?"

"You already know. He told me that you were dying to meet me."

"Don't mind him. He likes to exaggerate. Have a seat."

"Thank you. I got you a little gift. Your man said that you've been complaining about not being able to buy my shirts because they sell out quickly, so I brought you all that we have released so far along with a set of my lip glosses to have those lips popping."

"He's been talking a lot about me, but I guess it was for a good cause. Thank you so much for this marvelous gift."

"It's the least I could do. You've been blessing me with your amazing collections."

"No, you've been spoiling me with your comedy."

"What can I say? It's a gift from God." We spoke like two friends who were reuniting with each other after a long time apart before she had to go. "Sweetie, I have to get going because I have to do some things around town before night falls. I'll leave you to continue to enjoy this serene environment."

"I know this is last minute, but I would love for you to come to my party tonight."

"Maia, I was already going to be there before you said anything. I have my invitation."

"I should have known. I appreciate you doing this for me. This day keeps getting better and better."

"Before I forget..." She pulled out a paper bag from her huge purse. "Lunch is on me." B. Simone grinned, walking away before I could say a word. I looked inside the bag to see something wrapped in aluminum foil. From the shape, I automatically knew what it was: a hotdog. It could only be from one place, Costco.

"Ooouuu, Kyrie knows what he's doing to me." I ran to the designated eating area and bought a cold Sprite at the cafe.

I left the park at 4 and made a quick stop at Kyrie's car wash before going to Benita's house to get ready. One of the workers came up to me and starting flirting with me after I parked my car to vacuum it. I didn't know he was flirting at first. The conversation went like this.

"Hey, haven't I seen you before?"

"No, I don't think so." I really forced myself to recognize him not knowing we never actually crossed paths before.

"I think I remember where we've met. It was in my dreams." I thought the pickup line was so cheesy. I didn't know what to say until he asked me out. I let him down gently by telling him I was in a relationship, but I thought he would find the right woman soon. He looked like Daniel Caesar.

"And, violà! Do you like it?" Benita turned the swivel chair towards the mirror, so I could see the result of her magic. I touched my hair and examined my face.

"Yes, I look gorgeous. These are exactly the curls I wanted. Thank you."

"It's my pleasure. I just have to do your lashes and we're ready to go. The clock is ticking."

"Okay." I checked the time on my watch and saw that it was nearly 8 o'clock. I looked at myself in the mirror, unexpectedly feeling my eyes tearing up. Benita came back from the bathroom with the lashes and glue just as I was fanning my eyes.

"Girl, what's wrong?"

"I don't know." I laughed, trying not to cry but the tears came rushing down like a waterfall.

"But you're crying." She handed me a few tissues to wipe my eyes.

"It's nothing."

"What do you want me to do?"

"Don't worry. I'll calm down." I sniffed and dried my eyes. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. When I thought all that drama was over, I squealed and started crying all over again.

"I'm going to get Kyrie."

"No, I'm fine." I wasn't even convinced the way I was choking on my sobs.

"It doesn't look like it. I'll be right back." She rushed out of the room and left me sitting there, trying to figure out how to stop wailing.
*************************************************

Kyrie

"Kyrie, Kyrie!" I poked my head out of the kitchen to see Benita flying down the stairs.

"What's wrong? Did something happen to Maia?" I panicked.

"Look, I don't know how to explain it. I went into my bathroom to get some lashes for her and when I got back, she was crying. When I asked her what was wrong, it only got worse." Kobe, Kareem, and I looked at each other trying to assess Benita's story.

"Benita, stop playing. She is not crying." I waved her off.

"Kyrie, I am dead serious. If you don't go put a smile on that girl's face right now, you won't like what I'll do to you."

"I would listen if I were you." Kobe said as he munched on the bag of Fritos.

"Alright. This better not a joke." Maia's been happy all day from what she's told me, so I'm confused at what I'm hearing. I got to the top of the stairs in a flash and dashed to Benita's room, where I saw Maia slumped over with her face in her hands. I closed the door behind me for some privacy and then crouched down beside her. I put my hand on her back and lifted up her head.

"What's going on? Benita said you were crying and I can see that since your eyes are red."

"Just a little anxiety." She whispered.

"Is it about the party? We can cancel it if you're not up to it. We can stay here or I'll take you home."

"No, it's not that. I'm just getting older. Yeah, I have all the beauty and money I could ask for, but sometimes I wonder if I've accomplished everything I could have by this age."

"You may not have found the cure for cancer, ended world hunger, or brought about world peace, but you find ways to help others while achieving your dream of running your own fashion company. You have two smart and adorable children to be proud of, a loving family, supportive friends, and a handsome boyfriend by your side. Everything in your life is going according to God's plan. Keep rising to the challenge and living your life."

"You are simply amazing. Thank you for lifting up my spirits."

"I'm only doing my job. I thought somebody died or something. Don't you ever doubt yourself again."

"I won't. I don't know why I got so emotional."

"It happens to the best of us. Hakuna Matata." I stick out my pinky. It's this thing we do now when we're angry or upset.

"Hakuna Matata." Our pinkies locked together and I kissed her lips as I got up.

"I love your cry baby *ss."

"I am not a crying baby." She pouted.

"Do you remember when you cried me a river when you saw that tiny spider on your ceiling after you said you weren't afraid of spiders?"

"The only spider I can tolerate is Lucas the Spider because he is cute. Capisce?"

"Yes, ma'am. I'll leave you to get dolled up again. I'll be waiting for you downstairs."

"Okay, I won't be long."

"Take your time." I opened the door and walked into the hallway where Benita was pacing. She stopped at the sight of me.

"Well?"

"Go in there and do your thing, so she'll look like the queen she is."

"You're the man." She patted my back.

"You can say that again."

All I saw in Maia's eyes all night was pure joy as she socialized, drank, ate, and danced.

I hope all her wishes come true because I know mine did when I gave her the other present I promised her. Y'all already know what it was.

Next year's celebration is going to be even better.

*Vote and comment. Thank you 🙏 for reading 📖!*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4M 85.6K 63
"You trust me?" I look up at him, staring into his light brown eyes that stared directly at me. It felt like he was staring into my soul trying to re...
26.5K 1.1K 91
"we will struggle not the way people do and you will hurt me but not the way everyone else can and you will love me harder than anything I've ever k...
3.1K 189 35
After losing half of her heart, Aurora has to find herself again. Amidst doing that, she finds love from her past. Be a witness to Aurora's growth an...
301K 18.8K 64
NOTE: THIS IS A SEQUEL TO EYES ON US STORY! PLEASE READ BOOK ONE FIRST BEFORE READING THIS ONE. STORY ARE FOR MATURE AUDIENCES ONLY! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~...