Respect

By Urban_Elle

Maia is always looking for ways to elevate and protect her peace. She may be a successful business woman, but... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Epilogue

Chapter 4

7.6K 208 32
By Urban_Elle

"Slow down
I just wanna get to know you
But don't turn around
'Cause that pretty round thing looks good to me
Slow down
Never seen anything so lovely
Now turn around
And bless me with your beauty, cutie."
Bobby V "Slow Down"

Kyrie

"If y'all decide to get out the car, make sure you take the keys out of the ignition." I told the two knuckleheads who are mysteriously related to me by blood, Kareem and Kobe.

Kareem's on the left and Kobe's on the right. Look at my handsome self in the middle. Three guys from Atlanta who came to California in search of greener pastures.

"Why couldn't we go through the drive thru?" Kobe complained. He act like I'm leaving him in the heat. It's not even hot yet.

"You see that that long ass line while inside is empty as fuck? That's why." I replied.

"You working me." Kobe waved me off.

Whatever. I thought in my head as I headed into the Dunkin' Donuts. I know that we're wasting money buying breakfast like almost everyday since we have the same ingredients at home, but none of us is willing to cook. I get the same thing every time we come here. My brothers always get doughnuts, but I don't like them.

When I stepped inside, I saw a man getting a straw by the door. There was a lady standing on the right side of the cashier, who looked like she was waiting for her order. The line was empty, so I went straight to the front to buy our food and drinks.

"Welcome to Dunkin' Donuts. What can I get you?" The cashier asked in a cheerful voice. I promise you that when her shift is coming to an end, she won't be that happy. She's going to want to get the hell out of there. After working a few days at McDonalds when I was 16, I promised myself that I would never work at a fast food restaurant again because of the fast pace. I ended up at Safeway.

"Let me get two medium coffees with cream and sugar, a medium iced coffee with hazelnut, half a dozen of chocolate glazed donuts, and an egg & cheese with bacon on an English muffin."

"Will that be all?" She asked. I surveyed the menu and decided to get something else. That's how they get you to spend more money; four little words.

"Add some hash browns to the mix."

"Your name?"

"Kyrie."

"Okay, your total is $18.55." They may be family, but Kareem and Kobe better run me my money from this week and last week. I know they got paid on Friday. I handed the cashier a 20 and received a dollar and some change back. I wasn't really paying attention to what she said after she handed me the receipt because my eyes traveled to the lady I saw when I first walked in. She wasn't making a scene or talking loudly on her phone; she just looked familiar. I watched her collect her large frozen coffee and a brown bag before moving over to the counter where they keep straws, napkins, sugar packets, etc.

I moved closer to her and when she turned around as a result of the sound of my footsteps, I knew she was the one I saw at the supermarket.

"Sorry." She scouted over to give me space because she thought I needed to get something.

"You straight." Real smooth. That's what would be the first thing to come out of my mouth after thinking about her since that day. She took another look at me and I guess something clicked when she examined my face.

"Are you following me or something?" I scrunched up my face at her question. I mean you bad, but I won't stalk a girl to get her attention when I got other females begging to go out with me.

"Naw, I got better things to do with my time."

"Then why are you staring at me like that?" Woah, she either woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning or she's always this blunt.

"You should be glad that I even approached you."

"Right." She chuckled before walking around me to leave the restaurant. Am I seriously letting her go again? Maybe I shouldn't have talked to her like that. I swiftly blocked her to stop her from going out the exit.

"Wait, wait, wait. Look, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap like that. Can we start over?"

"Sure." She shrugged.

"My name's Kyrie Thompson." I offered my hand for her to shake.

"I'm Maia Sullivan." She introduced herself.

"That name sounds familiar."

"I've never slept with you, so that's not how you know it." Maia crossed her arms. Oh, she one of those quick witted females. She's breaking my heart, judging a young homie without getting to know me first.

"I think you recently did an interview with C magazine." Once I said that, a shocked expression crossed her face.

"Wow, I'm impressed." I didn't actually read the article. It's just, Kobe's girl wouldn't stop talking about her the other day.

"What can I say? I know my stuff. Are you busy right now, so we can probably sit down and have a conversation?" I was low key praying she's wasn't.

"No, I have to get to work in about 30 minutes." She responded, looking at her watch.

"Let me get your number then." Give me something here.

"Just recite yours to me." What?

"You don't want me to write it down or put it in your phone?"

"I'll remember it. I promise." I didn't object and whispered my number to her because I don't want any of these chicks in the store calling me.

"I'll call you." Maia uttered before waving goodbye with a small smile.

"I'll be waiting." I watched her stroll out the door. It wasn't just what she was packing in those black jeans jeans, but how she walked with confidence.

"Order 17!" I heard someone yell. I fished through my pockets to find my receipt. I came up with some old ones from a few weeks ago. I finally found it in my jacket pocket. I went to the front counter where the box of donuts, a brown bag, and a cardboard cup holder with the drinks were waiting for me.

I struggled to juggle everything to the car. Kareem and Kobe just took their stuff without saying thank you.

"Had us waiting while you were busy macking on that girl." Kobe grumbled. He's the most annoying one out of the three of us as y'all can see.

"Shut up."

"She got money." Kareem pointed as we saw a white Mercedes jeep drive by. The windows were down and we could see with her sunglasses on, looking beautiful.

Maia looks so innocent and bad at the same time. I hope she calls me, so I can find out for myself.
*************************************************

Maia

"Good morning, Ms. Sullivan." The guard at the front of my building greeted me.

"Good morning, Lou. How are you?" I asked as I readjusted my laptop case and files in my arms.

"Great and you?"

"I can't complain since the day is going well so far."

"That's good. Have a nice day." He uttered, opening the door for me to walk through.

"You too. Keep doing what you do best."

"Always."

My building has 4 floors; the first one is the store and the rest are the departments essential to the running of my company. The second floor is design & purchasing. The third one is sales & marketing. The fourth floor is where the directors and I manage things by making important decisions and having great parties. The daycare is also up here because there is more space for the play area for the kids since there are not that many offices compared to the other floors.

I'm sad that my lady bug didn't come to work with me today. My Mom wanted to take Lauryn and her cousins, Tamera, Noelle, and Abigail to the zoo. I'm glad I didn't have to take her because I wouldn't be able to stand the smell. I nearly had to stay indoors for my entire pregnancy because I was sensitive to smells.

My salespeople welcomed me as I made sure everything was organized for the customers coming later in the day. I open the shop at 7 because I know some people might not have the time to come and look at the new arrivals after work because they have responsibilities at home or another job to go to after.

I accidentally brushed up against a shirt that was already dangling from the rack. When I went to pick it up, I noticed someone standing by the jewelry section.

"Excuse me. Do you need some help?" The man turned around at the sound of my voice. I must say, he is cute.

"Yes, I'm looking for you." I'm starting to think this Warm Vanilla Sugar spray from Bath & Body Works I got for Christmas is helping me attract sexy guys.

"Me?"

"Yeah, I'm Damson and you're Maia." He went to shake my hand.

"I don't understand." I laughed nervously. Is he a stalker?

"Your brother Tristian didn't tell you about me?" Damson. Damson. Damson. Now I know why that name sounds so familiar.

"Oh! I'm so sorry. He told me about you, but I haven't been able to put a face to the name."

"That dude is a mess." He shook his head. Tristian could have shown me his Instagram or something. He's always saying good things about him, but if that face doesn't match up, it's a no from me.

I mean, it depends.

"Tell me about it. So, what can I do for you?"

"I decided to meet you myself and see if I could find anything for my daughter as well." Davien explained.

"Awwww, how old is she?" Every time I see pictures of babies, I get baby fever. They are so adorable and huge responsibilities.

"2, going on 16. She's right here." He pulled out his phone and tapped on the screen, which brought light to his lock screen. His wallpaper was a picture of her smiling as she posed with her hand on her left hip.

"She's so precious. My daughter Lauryn is the same way, but she knows that I don't play. What's her name?"

"Adrianna. I've seen pictures of your daughter all over your parent's house. She must be their favorite."

"I doubt that. They have three other beautiful grandchildren and love them all the same."

"So you're saying that you're not the favorite out of the four of you?"

"I mean, I'm the baby so it's a given. The fact that I'm the only girl can also be a reason."

"Right." He looked at me with a funny look and I just burst out into a fit of laughter.

"Are you the favorite with your parents?"

"It would be a shame if I wasn't, considering I'm the oldest and youngest." I don't really meet people who are the only child anymore.

"You are so lucky." I raved. Being the only girl wasn't easy when we were growing, not only because they were overprotective, but they did not like playing with me and my Barbie dolls.

"I already know. Since we both have little girls, why don't we set up a date?"

"For us or for them?" I smirked.

"For them of course. Unless..." He trailed off, insinuating the obvious.

"Didn't Tristian tell you what I said?"

"You just want to be friends, but I can change your mind in no time."

"We'll see about that. Do you need my number?"

"Yes, I do. May I please have it?" I gave him the number since he asked so nicely.

"Alright, so I'll see you around. It was nice to finally meet you."

"Wait, do I get a discount?" He referred to the bracelets and necklaces in his hand.

"We may be friends, but I don't play about my money unless you're a senior citizen."

"I like that. Smart, beautiful, and hardworking. What else would I be looking for in a woman?

"Get out of here. I need to get to work." I shooed him away as I prepared to go upstairs. No one is allowed in the elevator unless they have a badge and the code. There are bathrooms on the ground floor. Everyone must have an appointment and check in at the reception, which is connected to the cashier. The receptionist will give them access to the floor they need to go to and they will meet a receptionist on that level. Along with Lou, there's a metal detector at the entrance and security cameras around the store. Then, there's a guard at the back exit where there's a set of stairs for emergencies.

"I'll call you Maia." That was the first time I saw him smile. Seeing his straight face turn into a smile makes him no longer look like the Grinch.

"Bye." I waved as I approached the elevator. I took a small peek and saw him watch my hips move confidently from side to side.

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.

And they're like...

You can finish the rest.

*Vote and comment. Thank you 🙏 for reading 📖!*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4M 85.5K 63
"You trust me?" I look up at him, staring into his light brown eyes that stared directly at me. It felt like he was staring into my soul trying to re...
4.3K 260 15
(𝘯.) 𝘡𝘩𝘦 𝘒𝘀𝘡 𝘰𝘧 𝘭𝘰𝘷π˜ͺ𝘯𝘨 𝘡𝘩𝘦 𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘴 𝘺𝘰𝘢; 𝘒 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘳𝘦𝘡𝘢𝘳𝘯𝘦π˜₯ π˜ͺ𝘯 𝘧𝘢𝘭𝘭 LUVVMARIEE PRODUCTIONS
262K 7.5K 67
With his demanding music career and a family that depends on him, August is always on the grind. He's always on the road, making money and gaining fa...
4K 113 26
Just read??β™₯️ [ C O M P L E T E D]