Respect

By Urban_Elle

Maia is always looking for ways to elevate and protect her peace. She may be a successful business woman, but... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Epilogue

Chapter 9

4.5K 143 92
By Urban_Elle

"Cupid doesn't lie
(Ain't no doubt about it, Lord knows, I really mean it)
But you won't know unless you give it a try
(I'd rather die before, before I lie to you)
Oh baby, true love won't lie
But we won't know unless we give it a try
Give it a try."
112 "Cupid"

Kyrie

"Do you think she'll like them?" I asked the woman I was buying flowers from at her stand near the road. They look like roses, but they're called gardenias. I remember Maia told me white is her favorite color and these smell sweet, so that's why I'm getting them for her. They do look familiar, but I can't put my finger on where I've seen them before.

"I know I would." She winked seductively, moving her body too much.

"Well, they're not for you." I waved my finger from side to side in front of her face. I handed her the money and she aggressively snatched it from me with a scowl on her face. Her being mad at me is not going to spoil this night. I left her shop to allow other people in line to get their own flowers. I made my way around the curb to my car, a neon yellow G63. I've come a long way from the 1987 Toyota MR2 I had back in high school. I pulled out my key from my pocket and tried to walk faster, after looking at the time on my watch.

From rushing so much, I missed my step for only a millisecond, but I didn't fall. Something else did though.

"What kind of bullsh*t is this?" My key fell into the storm water drain. This can't be karma for putting that thirsty lady in her place back there.

I gently placed the bouquet of flowers on the hood of my car and crouched down to see where the key was in the sewer. I pulled out my phone and dialed Kobe's number to see where he was at.

"Yo." He answered.

"I need a huge favor from you man. Can you bring me my spare key for the G Wagon?"

"N*gga, I'm busy with Benita." Kobe complained.

"So what? I'm your brother."

"You should have thought about that when I asked you to get me some juice yesterday."

"Are you being for real? You're not going to come help me over some Tropical Punch Tampico?"

"You prefer Kareem over me, right? Call him."

"You know he's at work right now."

"Kyrie over here calling me to come help him, so he can go on his date with Maia." I heard him say. I guess Benita was right next to him.

"You want me to go?" Yes! Team Benita, all day.

"You can't make me." You must not know your own girl.

"Owww, owww, owww! I'm going, I'm going. Don't remove my skin. You owe me." Kobe came back on the phone with an annoyed tone.

"Like the $200 you owe me."

"Hello? Hello? I can't hear you. The line is—." I immediately ended the call as he pretended there was static that prevented him from hearing me. I turned on my flashlight to see down there as I waited. I heard a car approaching, but I didn't pay it no mind. That was until I heard a car door slam shut, but I didn't see anyone when I looked around.

"Sir, is there a problem?" A bright light beamed directly into my eyes and I held my arm up to shield them. I stole a glimpse at the person to find Jarvis smirking.

"J, don't be sneaking up on me like that. You know how cops are around here." We dapped each other up. Jarvis was a cop on the scene of a car crash Kobe had a few years ago. If he didn't perform CPR before the ambulance came, Kobe would have been a goner.

I probably would've died too from the way Benita was man handling me at the hospital like it was my fault. I mean, he was the one trying to be Dominic Toretto anyway. We're cool now after she made me some Mac and cheese with chicken and bacon, topped with jalapeños.

"Whatever man. What's going on?"

"I came to get some flowers, but then my keys fell through the grate."

"You're lucky. I got something that I carry in my pocket that can fish it out for you. My wife knows how clumsy I am and got me this magnet from Amazon for Christmas."

"Wives are life savers, aren't they?" I said, watching him do his magic.

"Yeah. I see you're trying to get one yourself." Jarvis gestured towards the flowers.

"You're moving too fast. This is just the first date." I shook my head.

"Go get them." My key dangled from his hook.

"Thanks man. I owe you one."

"Give me a call and we'll get a drink."

"For sure." I quickly hopped into my truck. Before I pulled off, I dialed Kobe's number as I watched Jarvis's Mustang drive away.

"What man?" He spatted when he picked up. "I told you I was on my way. I'm trying to find some shoes." A normal person would have just thrown on some shoes, but he needs to put a whole outfit together.

"You don't need to come anymore. I got somebody to help me." He just hung up. I shrugged it off and put the car in drive. I'm almost late and that won't make a good impression on Maia.

I got to her house in ten minutes and checked myself in the mirror one more time before I went to ring her doorbell.

When Maia opened her door, I was speechless by her appearance. Her green dress hugged her body in all the right places, her hair fit her face...she is gorgeous.

"Hi, Kyrie." She smiled, mesmerizing me even more.

"Hi, Maia." I was literally starstruck and was looking stupid while I held the flowers when I should have given them to her already.

"Are those for me?" She helped me out.

"Yes! I mean, yes they are. I thought of you when I saw them."

"I would have worn something else if I knew that we were getting married."

"What do you mean?" I'm confused.

"They use gardenias a lot in wedding bouquets. Come in." She let me in for a brief moment as she placed the bouquet in a vase on the kitchen counter. I noticed that everything was neat. That's a great accomplishment when you have kids; they are so messy.

"Now I remember. My parents had them when they renewed their vows. Either way, we can get married tonight in Vegas. Don't I look handsome?"

"You're not Michael B. Jordan, but you're alright."

"He has nothing on me, but you do look amazing." I praised her as we walked to my car.

"Thank you. I feel like I'm a little overdressed though."

"What you're wearing is perfect. We're going somewhere that's not too fancy or too casual." I held the door open for her to hop in.

When we reached the restaurant, the valet took my keys and someone led us inside as we walked on this red carpet.

"We're like movie stars." Maia commented. The Polo Lounge does things big.

"I would be Will and you would be Jada."

"But we wouldn't have an open relationship."

"I don't like sharing." I pulled out her seat.

"Neither do I." I took my seat and our waiter made his presence known.

"Can I start you off with some wine?" He handed us our menus.

"Two glasses of Cakebread Chardonnay please." I requested. Why not kick this dinner off with some wine?

"Can I get a glass of water with that?" Lightweight.

"Most definitely. I will be right back."

"Appetizers...Do you see this?" I uttered as my eyes fixed themselves to an item in the appetizer section.

"$180 for an ounce of caviar? I know."

"What does it even taste like?"

"I hear people say it tastes a little salty and they kind of pop in your mouth. It's supposed to be one of the best foods in the world."

"Aren't they fish eggs?"

"Yeah. That's why I'm so hesitant to try them."

"I can be fancy, but not that much."

"I'm going to get the smoked salmon. What about you?"

"The steak tartare."

"Nice choice." She nodded.

"Have you made your selections?" The waiter questioned us, while pouring the wine.

"Almost. What do you recommend for the entree?"

"The halibut is exquisite. The lamb chops are so tender and just melt in your mouth. Sorry if it sounds like I'm having an orgasm, but our menu is absolutely delicious." He whispered, making Maia laugh.

"I'm going to have to try those lamb chops." She insisted.

"I'm definitely not getting the Kobe burger." I rolled my eyes.

"Why not?"

"You know why. I think we're ready though." I know that if we don't tell him our orders now, he's going to take a long time to come back the way it's packed in here.

"I will have the salmon as my appetizer, lamb chops as my main course, and chocolate soufflé for dessert." She returned her menu to his awaiting hands.

"And for you sir?"

"I'll have the steak tartare to start, the halibut, and a generous slice of carrot cake to finish it all off." Y'all better make me not pay $14 for a tiny slice of cake. Sometimes I get a taste for something sweet, but I feel it's ridiculous to pay $3 for a slice of cake at a local bakery. These extra $11 should not be in vain.

"We will have your appetizers out as soon as possible."

"Thank you." Maia then turned to me. "Tell me something that no one knows about you."

"I'm really an open book. I show people who I am from the jump."

"So, there's no secret hobbies, embarrassing moments that you've kept to yourself, or things you do that people will probably frown upon?"

"Woah. Did you dig up some dirt on me?"

"No. Just asking."

"Well, dont tell anyone. Kobe and Kareem don't even know."

"Cross my heart." We both leaned in closer to each other.

"I never dated in high school because I lacked confidence with girls until my college years."

"Why? I thought girls usually flock around quarterbacks."

"They do, but I was kind of shy and I froze up anytime I wanted to talk to someone I liked.

"At least you got the confidence in college."

"Girls only wanted to go out with me because of my brothers. I had to go away from school to find someone who liked me for me. It wasn't just confidence I lacked, it was...never mind." Our food came and I zipped my mouth shut.

"What? Tell me." She pleaded after the waiter left and asked if we needed anything else.

"Nah."

"Please."

"I was a late bloomer." I mumbled.

"I didn't hear that last word."

"Too bad. That's all I'm going to say. It's your turn."

"You're no fun. Anyway, don't laugh at mine."

"I promise."

"I can sometimes see the future."

"As in tomorrow or the next five minutes?"

"Have you ever gone somewhere or heard someone say something and you wonder if you're dreaming because you know you've seen or heard it before?"

"I know what you're saying." I took a sip from my glass.

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah. I remember it was my first day as a 6th grader and for some reason, I recognized my math teacher even though I don't remember seeing her before. I think it's those dreams you can't remember."

"I have so many of those. The ones I can remember don't even make any sense half of the time."

"I once had this recurring dream before my college graduation where I was running from someone who was chasing me until I reached a fence. I never understood it."

"I had one where I kept seeing myself have a baby after Lauryn turned one year in reality." That caused me to chuckle. "What?"

"You had a dream about having a baby and imagine if I was running from it. Some people would call that a typical black man running from his responsibilities."

"Or maybe, I was having baby fever at that time and your ex wanted you back."

"Hell nah. I'm opening a whole new chapter in my life right now...with you."

"I like that." She replied at the same time as the song that was playing through the speakers in the background: Jamie Foxx's "Unpredictable" with Ludacris.

"What do you know about this?"

"This is my kind of music. R&B has so many jams. Some rap today is still good, but most of them are from back then. A lot of rap artists make songs that are only good for the club."

"That's right. Girl, all because you let me get unpredictable." I finished the song.

"Someone has pipes."

"Oh, I got pipes." I winked.

"Okay, Mr. 'I was a late bloomer'." She giggled and I was shocked.

"So, you did hear me?"

"I think that's why God blessed me with two ears."

"He also blessed you with a beautiful mind, body, and soul." That statement caused her to blush.

"You're killing me with all these compliments, but I appreciate it. I haven't been treated like a queen in a while. I appreciate you staying true to yourself and letting me get to know the real you instead of going over the top to impress me."

"This restaurant seems to be your level of standard. I didn't want to take you somewhere cheap."

"I would've been fine with McDonalds. I could have had a McChicken, a large fry, and an Oreo McFlurry."

"Dang it. I would have saved a lot of money tonight." I snapped my fingers and saw her frown as she crossed her arms. "I know you're kidding. We could go get some ice cream after this."

"I don't even think I'll be able to finish this soufflé." We both dug into our desserts after those amazing main courses.

"Kyrie, please. My stomach is too full and it hurts every time I laugh." I saw Maia clutch her stomach as she laid back in her chair.

"Kareem is a trip. This is your stop."

"I didn't realize we were already here. That was fast." She glanced out the window. I got out the car to open her door and help her out like the gentleman I am.

"You were too busy enjoying me to notice."

"You're right. I had an amazing night with you."

"We definitely need to do this again."

"No doubt."

"Did you leave your lights on?" I pointed to the windows that were glowing.

"Only the one in the hallway, so I could see when I walked in. Ahh!" She screeched at the face we saw in the window upstairs. She placed her hand on her chest and sighed. No lie, a n*gga was about to soil his draws. "It's just my brother. I need to take that key away from him."

"I'm in the same boat."

"You can still make a run for it before he comes to the door."

"I'm not scared of him."

"I just hope it's not...all of them." She said as the front door swung open.

"Maia, do you know what time it is?"

"We were about to get the SWAT team down here because you missed your curfew."

"Am I 17 again?"

"Who's this?" The one with the hoodie asked.

"My name's Kyrie." I held out my hand and they just looked at it. It didn't faze me. I would act the same if I had a little sister. My hand felt nicer in my pocket anyway.

"This gentleman was my date tonight. Kyrie, these are my older brothers Tristian, Easton, and Malcolm. Boys, this is Kyrie Thompson."

"She's not crying." Tristian noted.

"She let him walk her to the door." Easton observed.

"And she doesn't look injured. I guess he's alright." Malcolm declared.

"Thank you. Now can we get some privacy?" Maia shoved them inside and closed the door. "Sorry about them."

"It's cool. I understand."

"I'll call you tomorrow."

"I might before you do."

"I'll be waiting. Thank you once again."

"My pleasure." We embraced each other in a hug. When we separated, she gave me a peck on the cheek. I was a little disappointed and Maia noticed it.

"It's going to take more than one date to get these lips."

"Bet." I watched her step inside as I licked my lips and rubbed my hands together. Before I turned around and left, I heard her brothers interrogating her.

"What did I hear about lips?"

"Suck my diznick." She retorted. I smiled as I walked back to my car and backed out of the driveway.

I'm feeling some type of way like Mindless Behavior: "Eh, my girl, my girl she loves me".

Maia's not my girl.

Yet.

And we're not in love.

Yet.

But we're going to be because Cupid doesn't lie.

*Vote and comment. Thank you 🙏 for reading 📖!*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

754K 34.3K 90
Sire Sekhani Sutherland a.k.a "Cube" Sibyl Esteri Chambers a.k.a "Star" Read and find out. Began: 11/16/21
187K 12.2K 50
Vision of Love Book 2 *read book 1 before this* You're special to me. You're the only one who I wouldn't mind losing sleep for, the only one who I ca...
506K 14.7K 41
"We met in Miami, she was working at the mall at the time and I bumped into her at the gas station on the way home and just couldn't take my mind off...
121K 4.4K 45
[𝐎𝐍 π‡πŽπ‹πƒ] 𝒏𝒐𝒖𝒏 𝒂 π’”π’•π’“π’π’π’ˆ π’‡π’†π’†π’π’Šπ’π’ˆ 𝒐𝒇 π’˜π’‚π’π’•π’Šπ’π’ˆ 𝒕𝒐 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 π’”π’π’Žπ’†π’•π’‰π’Šπ’π’ˆ 𝒐𝒓 π’˜π’Šπ’”π’‰π’Šπ’π’ˆ 𝒇𝒐𝒓 π’”π’π’Žπ’†π’•π’‰οΏ½...