Respect

By Urban_Elle

Maia is always looking for ways to elevate and protect her peace. She may be a successful business woman, but... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Epilogue

Chapter 21

2.3K 70 40
By Urban_Elle

"'Cause I don't wanna lose you now
I'm lookin' right at the other half of me
The vacancy that sat in my heart
Is a space that now you hold
Show me how to fight for now (You show me baby)
And I'll tell you, baby, it was easy
Comin' back here to you once I figured it out
You were right here all along
It's like you're my mirror (Oh)."
Justin Timberlake "Mirrors"

Maia

I just love weddings. I mean, who doesn't?

I used to think it was only single people who hate weddings because they're probably bitterly jealous of their relatives, friends, or coworkers who have found love, but I've heard some criticisms from a couple of people who are actually in a relationship or are married.

They believe that the couple could have invested the money meant for the wedding on a house, attending the wedding inconveniences their schedules and pockets, and too much time goes by between the ceremony and the reception for them to eat. Those are all flimsy excuses to me.

A wedding is where a person legally entrusts his or her heart into the hands of the person he or she has fallen in love with. How much money they have spent on that ceremony shouldn't be your concern unless you're paying for it yourself; the love and understanding they have in their relationship is what matters for them to have a happy marriage. If you don't support this type of union, simply decline the invitation so you don't go to the wedding and rain on the couple's parade.

Nuptials can take place in churches, vineyards, city halls, hotels, beaches, gardens, barns, and many more nontraditional venues. I went to a wedding a few years ago where one of Zahair's coworkers was getting married and it was on this huge, beautiful yacht. I'm surprised that I didn't get seasick because I usually feel dizzy and a little nauseous when I get on boats. It was overall an amazing experience that I won't forget in a hurry.

While you're supposed to have fun and help the newlyweds celebrate the commitment they just made to each other, there are some things that people shouldn't do at a wedding but they do anyway.

It does not look good when you fight other women during the bouquet toss. It looks like you're desperate to get married if you don't let the process flow naturally.

If your romantic life is a wreck or nonexistent, don't get in your feelings and keep a scowl on your face all throughout the festivities. Forget all the negative things in your life for one day and have fun. That doesn't mean get drunk and get hold of the mic to start ranting about how miserable you are.

You know how Gucci and his wife Keyshia said that everybody had to wear white and if you weren't Caucasian, your hair had to be black not blonde? Don't ignore the dress code given on a wedding invitation. If there aren't any specific instructions on what colors to wear, just dress appropriately and look nice. Some people act like they've never been to a formal event when they come dressed up like they're going to the club.

Toasts should be sweet and short. Remember, it isn't your wedding day, so make the speech about them and not you. Also, get someone's opinion on any jokes you want to make to ensure that you don't say something offensive because you could kill the good vibes at the wedding.

There are so many rules when it comes to food. Don't complain about how it didn't taste good because the couple spent a lot of money to provide food. Don't go for seconds before everyone has gotten the chance to get their first plates. For goodness sake, don't go near the cake before the couple gets to cut it and have their slices.

I think the biggest No No is not to stand up when the officiant asks if anyone objects to the marriage; please hold your peace if you hate the bride or groom. It's a little different when you're in love with one of them and you can't let them get married without telling them how you feel like Jackson did at April's wedding in Grey's Anatomy. Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying you should ruin what is supposed to be one of the happiest days of a couple's journey together. Just find a more conducive way of professing your love, preferably before the wedding and while you were in the relationship with the bride or groom. Now, if you're revealing that the bride or groom cheated on their partner with you, you're probably saving the other person from a marriage filled with lies and unfaithfulness.

I personally don't appreciate some people who never fail to attend weddings just to go around the reception and look at ring fingers. Once they see that it's bare, they start meddling into your love life by asking why you're not married. They are so nosy and judgmental. On the other hand, I love seeing a groom break down at the sight of his bride walking down the aisle because he realizes how lucky he is to have found a woman like her.

But we all know that you have to get engaged before you get married and that brings us to tonight's event: Kobe and Benita's engagement party.

That girl has dragged me to countless of bridal shops for the past few weeks. I highly suggest that she gets the dress custom made because she can't find anything she likes. However, I'm not sure she knows what she's looking for. She doesn't even know if she wants the dress to be white. Benita is driving me crazy, but I understand because she wants everything to be perfect. If you ask me, I think she would look breathtaking in an off the shoulder ball gown.

To complete my look tonight, my baby got me a snowflake pendant necklace that I just adore. He also introduced me to the one and only Johnny Dang, so I could get a grill fitted and I should receive it in a week or so. I hope I don't look stupid when I put it on. Kyrie just loves spoiling me. I need to give him a gift that is out of this world and so unexpected. I'm still brainstorming because he already has a bunch of cars, shoes, and jewelry.

The whole crew is here; Olivia came with Kareem, while Damson is all alone since Summer went to see her family back home and Adrianna is with her mom.

"Lonely. I'm Mr. Lonely. I have nobody, for my own. Oh, I'm so lonely." I rolled my eyes for the umpteenth time as he repeatedly those lines from Akon's song under his breath.

"Dude, she's coming back from Puerto Rico in two days and you're acting like it's two years. What did she do to you?" I asked.

"I don't know. I just know that I miss her." I handed Kyrie my clutch and stood up.

"Get up." I demanded.

"What?"

"Get up, right now." He followed my command with a confused expression on his face and I placed my hands on his shoulders. "You are going to have a good time tonight whether you like it or not. Go get a drink to kick things off."

"You're right. Thanks."

"But don't get drunk." I warned him before he walked away.

"No promises." He winked.

"I thought you were going to slap some sense into him. You did good." Kyrie said, standing up beside me and adjusting the chain strap of my purse on his shoulder. I looked at him funny as he noticed what he just did. He removed it off his shoulder and handed it to me. "I believe this belongs to you."

"Thank you." I giggled.

"Why does it look like you two are the ones getting married?" After making their rounds around the ballroom, Benita and Kobe finally made it to our table.

"Even if we get married, it won't be before you two. You guys look fabulous and you are showing off those legs, girl." I complimented her.

"You mean those chicken legs." Kyrie laughed, while Benita mugged him.

"I'm just playing. Congratulations to y'all." He hugged his brother as I embraced Benita in a warm hug with the biggest grin on my face. Both of them are glowing like lights on a Christmas tree.

"Mhmmm. Your gift better be good." Benita responded, taking a sip from her glass of champagne.

"I had to get you a gift? I thought my presence here tonight was more than enough." Kareem and Gabby joined the three of us in staring at Kyrie until he got the hint that he wasn't funny. "Tough crowd." He uttered before looking away.

"May I have everybody's attention please?" We all turned towards the stage where a lady stood in front of the DJ's equipment with the mic up to her lips.

"Who is that?" I whispered, inquiring from Kyrie.

"I have no idea." I couldn't concentrate on what she was saying because the only thing on my mind was that she must have lost the way to her bedroom since her outfit was so revealing like lingerie. It was basically a sheer mini dress that barely covered her most private areas. She's pretty though.

"I would like to congratulate the beautiful couple on their engagement. They seem lovely together and I would like to ask the groom a question before we continue." We all looked at Kobe, who pulled at his collar like it was too tight and he couldn't breath. The way he weakly cleared his throat makes me think this will not end well.

"Kobe, did you really think you could just f*ck me and marry this b*tch?" Everybody in the room gasped, while Kareem did the most by holding his chest and grabbing the table before plopping down into his seat.

"Kobe, who is this chick calling me out of my name?" Benita calmly asked.

"Baby, I can explain."

"You thought I wouldn't find out? If you're going to marry her, you'll have to marry me too because I need that thing between your legs. You got me d*ckmitized and now you want to get married to deny me future access. That will be over my dead body."

"Tell me this is some sick joke." When Kobe didn't say a word, Benita shook her head and ran off to the back.

"Benita!" He yelled after her, but before he had a chance to go after her, Benita's father grabbed his collar in his fists and shook him.

"You cheated on my daughter?" Kyrie and Kareem with a few other guys immediately started a rescue mission by trying to get Kobe free.

"Maikel, I know you want to kill him, but let him go. Do you want to go to jail?" Benita's mother pleaded.

"I'm going to do it because of you, Nicole." Glaring one last time at Kobe, he released his grip while Kobe still looked scared for his life. "Alright, go see if our baby girl is okay."

"Okay. Maia, come with me."

"Yes, ma'am. Make sure nobody dies." I whispered into Kyrie's right ear as I patted his chest before accompanying Mrs. Alcantara. We found Benita in a dressing room, sitting in front of a vanity with tears streaming down her face.

"Honey, you're going to spoil your makeup." Mrs. Alcantara pulled out a tissue and tried to dry Benita's face, but Benita moved away from her helping hand.

"It doesn't matter anymore, Mom. Tonight is ruined. The man I'm supposed to be getting married to cheated on me with that thot!"

"Just take a deep breath and take a moment to decide what you want to do."

"I really don't know. The logical thing would be to call off this engagement and go home to burn everything that reminds me of that shameless dog. Tell me what I should do."

"We can't do that, honey. We're not in your shoes." Her mother replied.

"Well, tell me something! Please, don't add any more confusion to this situation." Benita rose her voice and Mrs. Alcantara quickly retorted.

"I'm not one of your little friends for you to be talking to me like that. I brought you in this world and I can take you out."

"I didn't ask you to." That shocked look on her face after Benita's back talk made me intervene because I was afraid Mrs. Alcantara was about to knock her daughter's teeth out.

"Mrs. Alcantara, why don't you check on your husband and talk to the guests? Don't worry, I'll talk to her."

"I should before I beat her *ss. She thinks she's grown." She scoffed before walking out the room, slamming the door. I shook my head and pulled up a chair beside Benita.

"You didn't have to snap on her like that. If that happens again, I won't be there to save you from what she will do to you."

"She'll get over it once I apologize, but that's going to happen after I sort myself out. Maia, help a sister out and give me some advice."

"There are so many things to consider, but first you need to talk to him so he can recount what happened. You need to know if this was a one time thing or an affair that has been going on for a while. Does he still love you and feel guilty about what he did or does he want to able to freely jump from one girl to another? Has he cheated before and this is a sign that you need to leave him or was he out of his element when he met her and this was a mistake that he kept away from you because he knew that he would lose you? Most importantly, you have to look at the entire relationship. Is it worth fixing and can it be fixed? You can ask any relationship counselor, a friend, and even a close family member, but no one can tell you what to do. The heart wants what it wants."

"That is a lot to think about. Can I ask you a question?"

"Yeah, of course." I answered.

"I hope you don't mind because it's about your past marriage."

"Go ahead, it's fine."

"Why didn't you stay and make it work?"

"I've never told anyone this, but I probably would have stayed if he had cheated once and that was it. The fact that she got pregnant and he kept that knowledge to himself was unforgiving. I couldn't see what was happening right under my nose and he tried to fix it with lies. I couldn't stand to be with him any longer because he wasn't the same person I fell in love with. Though I'm happy that I'm starting something new with Kyrie, I do miss him because I have to be both parents for the kids and he was my best friend before we got together. Life has a funny way of working out when it seems that all hope is lost. You just have to believe and trust that God has a plan for you."

"I don't know what I would do without you. You're so strong and loving. I wish only the best for you and Kyrie."

"Thank you. Now, what do you want to do?"

"Can you send Kobe in here?"

"Definitely. Take all the time you need. After all, this is your future."

"I will. Thank you, bestie." She gave me a small smile.

"You're always welcome." I left the room and walked down the hallway. I then opened the double doors to the ballroom. All conversations came to a halt when I walked in. You could only hear the clicks of my heels and the music playing in the background as I moved towards Kobe.

"Benita wants to see you." I told him and he nodded, looking relieved because you could literally slice through the tension in here.

"Is she okay?"

"Yeah, she has calmed down and just wants to talk to you."

"Okay."

"Good luck." As the party continued, Lauryn came along and hauled me over to the dessert table. There was a whole display dedicated to donuts to commemorate the first time Kobe and Benita met. There was also a section filled with football themed snacks since their first date was at Super Bowl LI. I split a donut with strawberry frosting with her. I took two chocolate donuts with rainbow sprinkles because that flavor is Kyrie and Joshua's favorite.

I looked over by the photo station to see Davien talking to Joshua at an empty table. What is he telling this boy? I walked up behind him to hear what he was saying.

"One day, you'll find a girl who will make you feel special. Make sure you don't lose her."

"Davien, are you okay?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"Nothing." I chuckled. "I don't think Joshua can relate to what you're talking about, especially at this age."

"Of course he can with all those girls at his daycare."

"Are you drunk?"

"I had one drink." He held up two fingers.

"Right, go get something to eat while I take care of Joshua."

"You don't have to tell me twice."

"Come on, baby." I held out my hand for Joshua to take.

"Mommy, my shoe." I looked down to see his laces were untied.

"Here, I got it." As I sat down to tie his dress shoes, I handed him half of one of the donuts. I remember how the four of us went to Lemon Tree for dinner last week. While Lauryn and Joshua played with the other kids, I listened to Kyrie ramble about his ideas for the bachelor party since he's going to be Kobe's best man; hopefully. He was a little bit too excited about going to the strip club. I mean, why can't they just play Call of Duty or golf where there's a small chance of something bad happening instead of going to drink and get mesmerized by big booties? I'm not jealous or anything.

Other than that, he just seemed so proud that Kobe is getting married. Ever since their father died, he's embraced the role of a father considering that he is the oldest. Nothing could take the grin off of Kyrie's face that night. It made me think of how he would behave if he proposed to me and I said yes.

Would I say yes is the real question.

Yeah, we're head over heels with each other right now and when we get more serious, we'll move in together. If things continue how they are now, marriage looks like the next step but I'm nervous about a second marriage.

When you get married for the second time, a big wedding should be out of the question, but I never got to be a bridezilla, have my Mom take control of everything, wear a real wedding dress, and have my dad walk me down the aisle. I actually want that someday, but I'm so afraid that the marriage will crumble and I'll be a divorcée for the second time.

Kyrie won't wait forever for me to make up my mind about marriage because we're not getting any younger and I can see how much he wants a big family. I'm trying to stay positive by praying that when the time comes, my answer will be satisfying to both of our hearts when he pops the question.

A shuffling noise knocked me out of my thoughts and I saw Joshua trying to get down as he scooted the chair forward. I helped him and straightened out his vest, wiping his mouth with a napkin.

"Thank you."

"Stay with Lauryn and be careful."

"Okay." I watched him for about a minute before going back to Kyrie. After a while, Benita came out strutting like she was doing Naomi's catwalk and approached the mystery woman who was still here for some reason. We still don't even know her name.

"I would like you to leave."

"And who might you be?"

"I am Benita Alcantara and I'll soon be Mrs. Thompson."

"You may have the ring honey, but he's for everybody."

"Not on your life." Kobe jumped in. "You do not have the right to come in here and try to mess up my relationship. Yes, I admit that we slept together for one night while Benita and I were on a break, but it wasn't even worth it because I don't even remember what happened." If I was at a boxing match, you would see me jumping up and down as I screamed at the top off my lungs. I simply smirked.

"You can walk out of here quietly before security has to throw you out."

"B*tch, I could—." Before she could lay a finger on Benita, two security guards took hold of her and dragged her out of the building. She was acting like they were performing an exorcism on her the way she was hollering and kicking.

"As they say, the show must go on." Benita announced, clasping her hands.

"Cheers to that!" We heard Damson shout from the bar and we all laughed, raising our glasses. The DJ started playing one of my favorite songs by Trey Lorenz to get all the couples onto the dance floor.

"May I have this dance?" Kyrie requested.

"You may." I beamed. As I laid my head against Kyrie's chest, I looked around to see Benita's parents infatuated with each other, Joshua twirling Lozza around, and Damson dancing with his drink. I looked up at Kyrie and he kissed my lips as we swayed from side to side with our hands locked together.

They say that opposites attract, but it's really what makes you similar that keeps people together. You'll never find someone who is 100% like you, but when you are in love, you two are reflections of each other. You can only be with someone who handles fear like you do, loves you as much as you love them, is as open as you are, and is as confident as you are. When the person you're with lacks something, you'll keep trying to compensate that gap until you're drained, feel like you deserve someone better, and desire a way out. That's where a toxic relationship emerges with constant bickering and rare moments of happiness.

You have to love what you see in the mirror: physically, emotionally, spiritually, and mentally.

*Vote and comment. Thank you 🙏 for reading 📖!*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

LessonS. By Fun

General Fiction

46.2K 2K 76
She shows him how to live; He shows her how to love.
267K 9.5K 33
Noalani is trying to become a successful lawyer and she's determined to let nothing get in the way. She meets Dillon at her new job working at a reno...
95.3K 3K 52
Loni is a hard working woman trying to achieve her dreams but when she's hired to be a assistant for the rap trio Migos she starts to fall hard for T...
300K 18.8K 64
NOTE: THIS IS A SEQUEL TO EYES ON US STORY! PLEASE READ BOOK ONE FIRST BEFORE READING THIS ONE. STORY ARE FOR MATURE AUDIENCES ONLY! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~...