Respect

By Urban_Elle

Maia is always looking for ways to elevate and protect her peace. She may be a successful business woman, but... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Epilogue

Chapter 14

3.3K 96 28
By Urban_Elle

"You ain't got to buy nothin'
It's not what I want
Baby, it's you
We don't have to go nowhere
It's not what I want
Baby, it's you
It's not 'bout what you got, I know you got a lot
No matter what you do, you always get it hot it's you, it's you
Baby, all I want is you, yeah."
JoJo "Baby It's You"

Maia

I removed my hands from under the blanket and wiped away the tears from under my eyes as the credits rolled onto the screen. It's always those movies that don't become blockbuster hits that are so good because you can appreciate every second and not watch it just to say you did. That's exactly how 'Breakthrough' was.

"That was beautiful." I exasperated with a stuffy voice. My nose was a little congested. Kyrie handed me a napkin to clear it up.

"It was, but I didn't know that you were actually going to cry even though the critics did say that it was going to be a tear jerker."

"That movie is so emotional. He died and came back to life. The plot itself was predictable, but the performances were amazing enough to deliver the inspirational messages from the true story."

"Yeah, it was pretty obvious he was going to live or else there wouldn't have been a movie to shoot. What were the parents going to do; sue the fire department for not finding him faster in that ice?"

"The fact that his mother never lost faith in his recovery and kept praying despite what everybody said about his chances is unbelievable. A lot of people would have lost hope just like the father did in the beginning. I got chills when she started screaming for God to do something after he was pronounced dead."

"If if was my child, I wouldn't even let that doctor sit down to eat his lunch or go home to sleep in his bed until I saw an improvement in his or her condition."

"I feel you on that 100%." I picked up the red ceramic popcorn bowl and handed it to him. "We need a refill, sir."

"So, I have to get it?"

"It's your house." I laughed.

"It's my turn to pick a movie."

"You can do it when you come back."

"What if I want to choose it now?"

"I know you can go back and forth until tomorrow if I indulge you, so I'll do it." I rolled my eyes before rising up from the couch.

"Thank you." He laid down on the couch, taking my spot while watching me walk away to the kitchen. "Don't forget to sprinkle that extra butter and toss the popcorn again so that it coats all of it."

"Trust me, I won't." I gave him a quick smile before turning back around and beginning to curse him in my head.

"By the way, I'm feeling a little parched. Bring me some more lemonade while you're at it."

"I don't think you want me to do that." I looked at him. He saw that I was serious when I didn't return his stupid grin and rose my brow at him.

"You know what? I can get it. It will allow me to stretch my muscles." He got his lazy *ss up and came over to the refrigerator with his red cup, taking the pitcher out and refilling it.

"That's what I thought." I moved away from the microwave to avoid the radiation and leaned against the counter with my arms crossed. 1 minute and thirty seconds is the magic time to getting my popcorn cooked to perfection. Kyrie offered the drink to me, but refused to give me the cup and insisted on holding it himself. The problem with that is what happened last time.

Kyrie was trying to be romantic by feeding me and holding my drink as I sipped from it. However, he held the glass up too high and the soda just splashed my face, making me choke while some of it entered my nose. It was funny and painful at the same time because I struggled to stop coughing.

I warned Kyrie with my eyes before taking a sip of the lemonade and I couldn't help but twist my lips at the taste.

This man is trying to kill me.

"How much sugar did you put in there? It's enough to give somebody diabetes."

"Really? I don't think that there's enough." I simply shook my head and opened the microwave that had stopped running as the popping sounds died down. I quickly rustled everything together and we were soon back to the living room after Kyrie switched off the light.

"So what are we watching?" I asked, crossing my legs and fixing the blanket over our bodies. I popped a few pieces of popcorn into my mouth before handing the bowl off to Kyrie.

"I've been putting off watching 'Plug Love' on Amazon Prime. It's been in my recommended list for the longest and I'm tired of just looking past it." Amazon Prime does have some good movies whether they're original or not. 'Guava Island' just showed me how beautiful Rihanna really is like I didn't think it was possible for someone to look so radiant and age like fine wine like she does. I want to see her do more acting, of course, after she's given us all her musical genius.

"The same can be said for me. I was planning to watch it eventually because the reviews aren't bad. I just don't want it to be a typical thug love film that is poorly acted."

"I hate when they make it so cliché like the guy is selling drugs while the girl is innocent, and he ends up getting shot which ends the relationship prematurely or they're on and off because of the nature of his hustle."

"Yeah. I'm not saying black movies can't be directed be white directors, but I feel like some of them get it wrong by having this general idea about drug dealers, thugs, and African Americans in general."

"Even though some movies didn't have black directors, they made sure to have black producers to have a right perspective behind the scenes. It's like 'The Color Purple' and 'Amistad'." John Singleton, Spike Lee, and Jordan Peele are definitely some of my favorite directors because they've made classics for the culture.

Rest in Power, Mr. Singleton.

"Right. Alright, let's get started with this flick."

"Better be good." He mumbled as he pressed play and I got comfortable, laying in his lap.

"Carmen is so fine." I commented, seeing the female lead.

"She kind of looks like Teairra Mari." Speaking of her, her and 50's feud is just tiring. I honestly can't remember why she owes him money. It was entertaining in the beginning to see them trading blows, but now it seems childish and immature. They should keep the drama off social media and resolve their differences as soon as possible.

"That's what I was thinking." I looked up at him and our eyes connected, causing us to stare at each other.

"Great minds think alike." Kyrie leaned down and repeatedly kissed my lips repeatedly before I realized he wouldn't stop playing even though I returned his smooches.

"Okay! You're making us miss the movie." I pushed his head away from my face, trying to focus on the screen.

"I can turn this tv off right now if you don't act right." He paused the movie.

"Stop." I whined like a little girl, earning a smirk from him as he pecked my lips one more time before turning the film back on.

"Murda is isn't ugly when you get a good look at him even with his pot belly. It just depends on the angle you're looking at him."

"He's Rick Ross 2.0."

"Mhmm." I agreed.

"Why is she staying with him even though she knows he's cheating?"

"The comfort and security from the money he's making and they've been together for 12 years. She would rather deal with it or continue to hope that he'll change."

"But she's clearly feeling something for Murda."

"Did they just use the same sex scene twice?" I wondered out loud.

"It looks like it. Imagine watching these scenes or Fifty Shades of Grey with your parents. The room would be uncomfortable as hell."

"I remember seeing Magic Mike with my Dad. He was not happy when he saw me drooling over those sexy abs."

"I wouldn't be either. Damn, Murda found out about old boy."

"He did not have to disrespect Carmen by calling her out of her name though. She clearly doesn't have feelings for her boyfriend anymore. She's still in the relationship to give him money."

"He's hurt. The emotions are just rushing through him. Imagine falling head over heels for a chick and you find out she's the main lady of the plug, who is the same person giving you the hookup to make bread to take care of your siblings. He's probably thinking that he's indirectly betraying Lorenzo or he's upset that he has everything including his girl."

"That's tuff." I sighed.

"Okay, Solluminati." He chuckled.

"I knew she was a sneaky b*tch from the jump!" I yelled, sitting up. "If I was Carmen, I would—." I saw Kyrie watching me like a hawk from the corner of my eye, waiting for me to finish my sentence. He told me once that I seem to be able to manipulate my aggressive switch on and off whenever I want to. I'm going to prove him wrong because I am not aggressive; maybe feisty but definitely not aggressive. "I would be the bigger person and sit down with her to find out why she snitched on me."

"Sure you would." Kyrie retorted.

"Dang. I didn't think it was that deep to kill him over."

"I can't watch this anymore. That's not how this is supposed to end." I covered my face, but I peeped out from the blanket to keep watching.

"Man, she didn't deserve that. I can't believe the bad guy is going to win. He even after his little brother involved in the drugs knowing what he did to Murda." During our moment of depression, a miracle occurred in the film. Murda's younger brother picked up the gun and did the deed, saving this movie from having this terrible ending.

"If they make a part two, I think it should be years later when he's older and she's out."

"It won't be the same without Murda." I noted.

"You can't knock it before you see it. Overall, the movie was bittersweet."

"The little brother does remind me of a Lil' Romeo."

"With a little dash of Bow Wow." Kyrie added.

"Are we cooking now?" I beamed.

"We could be. After all, it is chemistry and we have everything we need right here." He wrapped his arms around me.

"This couch is so nice though." I rubbed the leather surface.

"You're really considering it?" His eyes had a little sparkle in them.

"No." I snickered, seeing the look of disappointment on his face.

What do I look like f*cking on this couch?

"You think that's funny?" He started tickling me and my body instinctively squirmed around like a worm.

"Yes!" I jumped up from the couch and ran across the room to stand behind the other couch, almost falling flat on my face from tripping on the blanket.

"Where are you going?" Kyrie got up with a sinister smile and began chasing me. I slowly got dizzy and tired from all that running, so did he the way he was panting as we stopped opposite of each other.

"Oh my gosh. I can't believe you have this." I took notice a Jenga box under the tv stand.

"I honestly don't remember how or where I got it from."

"I've always wanted to play this." I began to open the box before Kyrie interrupted me.

"Your phone is ringing." I thought he was joking just to catch me, but I listened as the room fell silent. I could hear Summerella's 'Do You Miss It' playing softly near the couch we were laying on before. My purse was on the cocktail table. I didn't put it down on the carpet floor because that is bad luck. I'm trying to gain money, not lose it.

"It must be in my bag." I walked back over to the couch, handing the box to Kyrie. I checked the inside pocket of my purse and didn't see my phone, which means that in the middle of all the commotion inside. No matter how often I clean my purse, it gets disorganized because I don't take the time to put my cards or cash in their right spots or have a certain place to put receipts. I pulled  out my gum from my bag; then, hand lotion, lip balm, hand sanitizer, compact mirror, perfume, tissues, and bandaids until I finally found it. The call already dropped, but I saw that it was a toll free number.

All of that work for nothing.

"Is this the same bag I'm looking at?" Kyrie asked with an amused look on his face.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm just surprised that it can carry all of this stuff. Some things that I don't even think you really need."

"Like what?"

"What is the purpose of the bandaids?" He held up the small box of Peppa Pig bandaids I got from Target. I love that show.

"I or one of the kids could cut ourselves on paper or something on the playground."

"There's like a one in a million chance that either of those instances will actually take place. You are one of the most cautious people I saw ever seen in my life."

"Thank you, I guess." I shrugged.

"Let's do this thing." He pushed the small table away from the middle of the rug to give us space to sit down and stack these wooden blocks.

"I see what you're trying to do. You're trying to keep me here until it's too late for me to leave, so I can sleep over. You're not slick."

"Is that a crime?"

"Not at all because I am fine where I am."

"You took the words right out of my mouth because I don't want you to leave." I blessed his lips with the presence of mine. We enjoyed the rest of our date with the game of Jenga.

You can have fun indoors. It doesn't always have to be a date where you spend all the money you have in your wallet on material things. All that matters is that you're growing closer to your partner.

All I want is Kyrie.

I just remembered. I need to find out what I'm doing for Independence Day. The beach and parks are going to be overcrowded, so maybe a little family gathering at the family house like a barbecue. I can taste those juicy ribs, the potato salad, collard greens, and mac and cheese right now.

Hopefully, my Mom doesn't put real yellow corn in the cornbread because I don't like it like that. I'm grateful either way.

I don't know if I should invite Kyrie though because I still think it's too early.

I'll worry about that later. I observed the level of concentration of Kyrie's face as he pulled a block from the middle of the tower. Sometimes I wonder how I got so lucky. I didn't want to fall so quickly for him, but he makes everyday easier at the sound of his voice and his presence.

God takes me high beyond my imagination to reach my full potential and to serve him, while Kyrie has got me on a high that I just don't want to come down from.

He told me he has something planned for my birthday and I can't wait to find out what it is.

*Vote and comment. Thank you 🙏 for reading 📖!*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

262K 7.5K 67
With his demanding music career and a family that depends on him, August is always on the grind. He's always on the road, making money and gaining fa...
95.3K 3K 52
Loni is a hard working woman trying to achieve her dreams but when she's hired to be a assistant for the rap trio Migos she starts to fall hard for T...
754K 34.3K 90
Sire Sekhani Sutherland a.k.a "Cube" Sibyl Esteri Chambers a.k.a "Star" Read and find out. Began: 11/16/21
26.6K 1.1K 91
"we will struggle not the way people do and you will hurt me but not the way everyone else can and you will love me harder than anything I've ever k...