Deliciously Tempting. (COMPLE...

By LJMay03

Terra Howard, a 21 year old restaurant worker trying to work her way up the career ladder. Derrick Caine, a... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Authors Note

Chapter 2

6.8K 310 8
By LJMay03

Kayla helped me set the table as I heard keys jingling.

She dropped everything and went running. "Mummy!" I heard her squeal.

I served out lamb tagine for dinner as I sat at the table. My sister, Ellie walked in and greeted me.

"Oh my nostrils. This smells amazing!" She smiled. I beamed at Kayla.

"The little chef here helped tonight."

Kayla smiled proudly as she sat at her spot at the table.

Ellie took a mouthful and I heard her groan. "Oh Kayla. Keep this up and I'm gonna have to get two jobs to put you through the same school as your aunty."

Kayla looked at me all excited and I winked at her. "Nonsense, Ellie. You know I will teach her if she wants."

Ellie took another mouthful. "Someone has to teach her. She has to look after her mumma when she is old and frail." Ellie joked.

We sat in silence as we ate then Kayla piped up. "Mummy."

"Yes baby?"

Kayla grabbed a slice of bread and dipped it in her remains. "Can we go somewhere on Sunday?"

Ellie thought about it. "Of course baby. I don't have work. Where would you like to go?"

Kayla shrugged. "The pool?"

Ellie smiled. "If the weather is good."

Kayla then called out to me. "Are you coming too, Aunty Terra?"

I smiled and was about to agree when I suddenly remembered my news. "Oh, darling, I can't. I have a meeting."

Ellie frowned. "Since when? You never have attended a meeting before?"

I smiled. "Since I got promoted!"

Ellie screamed. "Oh my goodness! Terra! That's marvellous!"

I nodded as Ellie grabbed my hands and dragged me up. We were holding hands and screaming and jumping. Poor Kayla thought we have gone mad!

"I am now a Pastry Chef!" I beamed.

"Oh Terra!" Ellie smiled at me. "You are doing it! You are living your dream!"

"Oh, I should ring mum." I placed the napkin on the table and left the room. Ellie yelled out behind me she will clean up.

I took out my phone from my pocket and dialled my mums number. Technically, she is my step mum, Ellie being my step sister, but she raised me since I was only a couple months old. Dad and I came into their lives when Ellie was 2.

"Hey, mum. Guess what?" I asked in excitement. I heard the squeal on the other end as I held the phone away from my ear laughing.

"You got it! Oh, Georgie! Terra finally got it!" Mum called out to my dad.

****

Two hours later I got off the phone to my parents. As usual we did the rounds. Me, then Ellie, then Kayla back to me.

Exhausted I laid on my bed, finding the will power to get on it properly and cover myself with a blanket.

But my phone tinged. I opened it and saw Mark's name. My heart stopped as I read the message.

I had jumped from being a chef de partie or a line cook for main meals to a pastry chef. Even though I studied hard at both being a chef and a pastry chef, I felt I had achieved a lot already for only being twenty one.

I opened the message and read it.

Hey Terra. Sunday 7am. Discussing menu changes. Have a list of pastries, cakes and desserts ready to go that might make the cut for new menu. The final picks have to be approved by Mr Caine. Have samples ready by 5pm Sunday.
Will discus pay wages too.

I sighed. Thank goodness for that. I was worried. I got off my bed and searched under it. I found the large folder full of all the good food I wish to cook in my own restaurant.

I flipped through the pages and found quite a collection. I wrote down a list of forty of my favourites.

I slowly went through them as I crossed some out.

After an hour of a mental fight with myself, I finally narrowed it down to ten.

After I was satisfied with that, I finally let my droopy eyes win. I sighed in relief as I lost myself to sleep.

****

Saturday was hectic! I started at 11am and I stuck to my job. I didn't start as a pastry chef till Monday. I minded my own business until I noticed Chloe.

She had walked out of Mark's office, her eyes threatening to break down and cry. My heart dropped.

I placed my knife down. "Chloe? What's wrong?" Please don't say what I think you are gonna say. I thought to my self.

"I, I, I," She started to sob. I walked around the table to her and wrapped my arm on to Chloe as we walked into the small break room.

Chloe took a deep breath. "I got fired."

Damn it.

I wrapped Chloe in a hug. We stood there for a minute as she calmed down. Chloe finally pulled away.

"It's okay, really. It was long hours, and I rarely see my kids, and I am really starting to resent food." Chloe let out a half giggle.

I smiled softly at her.

"It was really to help pay the bills. But what is my husband going to say? We just book a four thousand dollar dollar cruise!"

"Oh Chloe." I hugged her again. I was lost for words. I couldn't find the right words to say.

Chloe picked up her bag from her locker. "Thanks Terra." She smiled as she walked out. I felt, well, I'm not sure, annoyed, maybe?

I went back to my station and prepped. I watched as one by one every staff member went in to Mark's office. Some came out calm, some happy, some annoyed.

Today is judgement day. The new owner will be taken over on Sunday. Mark's cutting loose ends. My heart pounded. Not for me, but for my colleagues.

The day slowly turned to night as all the main dishes sat in fry pans and pots. The rattle of chinaware, the clinking of utensils and cutlery everywhere. People yelling orders.

Every now and then I heard the bell go off, calling for a bus boy to deliver a dish to the waiters station.

Ding. "Table 13." Ding. "Table 29." Ding. "Table 4."

The kitchen was chaotic! I loved it.

I had finished prepping all my jobs. I had already cleaned my station. I had sharpened all my knife's and polished everything. I finish in two minutes.

I went and collected my bag and walked into Mark's office just after he did.

I didn't allow him to even sit. "Why did you fire Chloe?" I blurted out.

Mark frowned at me.

"She has children to support."

"Terra." Mark warned. "Unfortunately, it's business."

I groaned silently to myself. I saw the other man there and I nodded to him in acknowledgement and turned on my heel. "Goodnight Mark."

I walked out of the restaurant and headed for my car. It was 8pm. I'm exhausted.

I headed home and quickly ducked in to Kayla's room and said goodnight before I found my bed. I set my alarm and placed my phone on charge. I saw the missed call from mum and texted her I will call as soon as I get the chance.

I laid down and I was out in seconds.

****

After a relaxing shower, some tea and toast, I felt better, but my anxiety was killing me. I walked into the restaurant and saw Mark putting tables together for a meeting.

Darcy was already in, the maitre de. She held a thick book and as soon as the tables were set she sat. She flipped through the book and did whatever she tends to do on a Sunday.

I hooked my bag on the back of a chair. I smiled at Mark as he walked past in to the kitchen.

I went to the dessert bar next to the kitchen doors and fired up the coffee machine.

Shortly afterwards, the head pastry chef, Colin, walked in. He was tall and intimidating as he eyed me.

"Hi." I smiled nervously. He gave me a small nod. "Get everyone's coffee orders." He barked as he turned his back at me.

Taken slightly aback, I started frothing the milk.

"Terra?"

I turned to Mark. "What are you doing?" He frowned at me.

"Colin wanted me to make coffees." I'm confused. Am I or ain't I meant to?

"Colin! Terra isn't the barrista. She is your new Pastry chef."

Colin looked surprised. He arched a brow as he looked at me again. A small smirk appeared. "I've seen her work. Its been a while, but, meh."

I gasped in anger. Meh? I'll show him meh! I kept my head high as I sat down with my bag. The room slowly filled with Executive chefs and their understudies, which I am one. I chewed my lip nervously. I felt the butterflies in my stomach.

Then a tall man, dark hair and strong features walked in. My eyes widen. He was in the office the other night when I had a small dig at Mark. Who is he?

After everyone sat down, some with coffees, others like me with cold drinks, we waited for Mark to open the meeting.

"Good morning everyone." Mark smiled.

I sneaked a look at the guest. His jawline was straight and sharp and his skin was a nice tanned olive. His dark hair was a mess but yet neat and his nose was solid and straight. He looked Italian or Greek. I wasn't sure, I was, after all, assessing his profile from the side.

Suddenly his eyes flashed to mine and I quickly blinked and looked at Mark.

"...... This is the new owner of the restaurant, Mr Derrick Caine."

My eyes widened again. He is Mr Caine?

"Terra. I believe you have a list of desserts for Colin?"

I was speechless for a quick second. I thought it was for Mr Caine. "Yes." I gathered myself as I gave the list to Colin.

He quickly ran his eyes over it. "None of these desserts fit the criteria for our menu." Colin smirked.

If I didn't know any better, he didn't want me to succeed.

"Now Colin is it?" Mr Caine asked. Colin nodded his head. "Tara?"

"Terra." I corrected.

"Terra had the job for the new desserts. I am changing the menu."

I saw Collins face turn red. "That's unacceptable. I'm the head pastry chef. I make the choices." He exploded.

"How are we going to expect our understudies to improve and learn if we don't give them a chance." Mr Caine smiled.

His voice was like thick honey with a slight accent. And right now he was saving my arse.

"I've never worked that before in all my career." Colin glowered.

Mr Caine narrowed his eyes. "Well, obviously you have never worked in any of my restaurants. All of them are a teaching experience for all staff."

'Mr Caine, please, Colin is a valued staff member. He is one of the best pastry chefs in Australia. " Mark tried to calm the tension.

" So you created my competitors."

"I know who you are Colin Peters. You are number 5 in Australia in Pastry dishes. But it's your arrogance that won't let you succeed any higher."

"What do you mean my arrogance?" Colin spat as he stood up from his chair.

Everyone at the table was silent, listening to every detail.

"Mr Caine, do you really want to go against me?" Colin stared at Mr Caine.

"I am now your boss. I own this restaurant. If I want to change the menu, I will. If I want to renovate the place, I will. If I want to change staff roles, I will. If I want to fire staff, I will, Mr Peters." Mr Caine snarled. Colin sat down mumbling under his breathe.

" Right. I'm Derrick Caine. I am now not only your boss and the owner, I am also a certified chef. For anyone that doesn't know, I own a chain of five star restaurants in all capital cities in Australia, booming to the off shores of America and the UK."

"this restaurant will be closed for the next month as of today but don't fret, you will all still get paid. Now, I have some ideas for this place. I want all head chefs and their understudies to discuss menu ideas. The theme will be Australian dishes."

"What?" Colin bellowed as he stood again. He threw down his apron. "That's it. I quit." As he stormed out, his hands in the air.

Derrick arched an eyebrow and then looked at me. Then a smiled appeared. "Congratulations Terra. You've been promoted, again."

Terra has a great relationship with the people around her.

I wish I could cook as good as Terra 😊

And she finally met her new boss, talk, dark, handsome Mr Caine with that exotic accent, wow!

Don't forget to vote, comment, share, follow

That'll be great, cheers 👌🏼

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 17 22
Jasmine has been working for one of the largest investment companies for over 3 years, and now she got a promotion working closely with her boss. som...
2.2K 108 26
Bay Carter has gone through thick and thin. She wouldn't have gotten through it without her mother for sure. Her father was there for some of it befo...
993K 32.6K 46
Mature Content (Ages 17+) *BDSM/HUMOUR* Fate decides that two people, with completely different values and lives, shall be thrown into the same workp...
37.3K 1.1K 46
AU where Jasmine is just a 21-year-old working at her families restaurant. Anthony is just a 19-year-old who finished college early has his life laid...