To Love an Endangered Princes...

By WinterLightSky

When Draugathiel Maetharanel aka Saphira is a half elf half human, you would think that she was a freak. But... More

To Love an Endangered Princess [Legolas Greenleaf Love]
Eodoras with Eomer
Stalker, Friend or Foe?
Hybrid Princess vs. Elven Prince
Inner Galadriel
Race to Helm's Deep
Battle of Helm's Deep and Mixed Feelings
Saphira's Reflex
A Very Angry Haldir....Yikes
The Human Side of Me
Elvish Dances and I Love You's
Flee the Prophecy or Accept It?
Battle of Minias Tirith
Sacrifice to Fufill Your Destiny
Escape from Helm's Deep
Death with no hope of Ressurection
Back To Battle
Surging Tide
Death Awaits One
Breaking Hearts
Darkening Fate
Slow Down Time
Mysteries Unwraveled
Who's That?
I Feel So Old...
Sound the Call
True Heir of Gondor
King's Cold Heart
The Horrible Unspoken Truth
Time is Ticking
Shocker
Wedding Bells Ring
Sickening Feelings
Never Again
False Threats
Decided
This Is Our Big Night
Almost Time
I Do...Or Don't
Prophecy Child
Warming Hearts
I Consider It Running
Don't Be Scared
Truth Be Told
Assumtion My Ass!
Anger Unleashed
Difficult Tasks
Truth Revealed
No place to run, no place to hide
Alone, With a King
Into the Woods
The Glorious Chase
Every Action has an Equal Reaction
Odd Sense That I've Been Here Before
Major news!!!
What are you so afraid of??
Quick Note!!!
Unresolved Forces
Finally a Realization

Painful Encounters

317 2 0
By WinterLightSky

Eowyn’s POV

            It was silent in Saphira’s chamber until I heard Legolas let out a scream of pain. I burst through the doors just as he fell to his feet sobbing into his hands. He didn’t even look up or acknowledge my presence as I laid my hand on his shoulder before carrasing Saphira’s now ice cold skin gently.

            “I’m so sorry Legolas, I am truly sorry.” I stuttered out before walking away from him. I paused at the door and looked back at him. “If I had known that she was going to save me I would have stopped her…” I trailed off and stiffled a sob before pulling open the door and walking out; but Legolas called me back.

            “Eowyn!” he called softly and I paused in midstep to look back at him. He stood beside Saphria’s body staring down at her with such affection that it broke my heart to see him like that.

            “Yes Legolas?” I couldn’t help but brace myself for the anger and blame that was sure to follow, but he just turned towards me with grief-stricken eyes.

            “Did she suffer much?” he said it so sadly that I almost collapsed in a fit of tears again. I didn’t know, I just know that she died…in my arms with his name on her lips. The memory flashed through my mind and I shivered and held back a loud sob before answering him.

            “I…I don’t know.” I started truthfully, “but I…I held her in my arms when she…when she left.” I started to tear up again and I had to rush the last part before I broke down, “she started to say your name and then…” I couldn’t finish and I ran from the room and down the corridor to my room. I slammed the door behind me and cast myself onto the bed weeping heartbroken tears.

            Legolas’s POV

            I stared down at Saphira’s cold lifeless body before squeezing my eyes shut in pain. She had caputured my heart and now she destroyed it in an instant. I need not know how she died, I just know that she went too soon; I had never gotten to hear her voice one last time. How I longed for her to speak to me, to watch my every move with her chocolate filled eyes.

“Maiaron i Oiosaila, Manan elye etevanne, Nórie i malanelye? Ilfirin nairelma ullume nucuvalme. Nauva i nauva." [Wisest of all Maiar, what drove you to leave that which you loved? Yet we will cast all away rather that submit. What should be shall be.]

I wept freely as I uttered the same words to her that we the fellowship had listened to the Elves of Lorien sing about Gandalf when we all believed he had fallen prey to the darkness. But this time, the pain was nearly unbearable and I bowed my head before reaching out my hand and closing her sightless eyes.

“One last time Saphira.” I murmured and then I planted a goodbye kiss on her lips for the last time before turning and walking away. I had to let her live on in my memory, in my heart. I closed the door behind me and whispered, “Gi melin. Always.” [I love you. Always.] and then I walked away down the hall.

Third Person’s POV

Legolas left and the whole room was filled with his last words of goodbye to Saphira. The power that radiated from them filled the crystal structures and the power of his emotions rode on a wave into Saphira’s lifeless body. Then all was still.

The room was once again cold and silent, but then, the smallest of smiles appeared on Saphira’s face. And then her eyes opened.

Legolas’s POV

I was led out of the castle and mountain at a quick rate. The wolves flanking me had removed the shackles that bound my wrists and my neck but they still nipped at my cuts to keep me moving away from their kingdom. I heard the queen’s voice echo through my head as I was roughly shoved out of the mountain and into Arod who whinnied terrified. I barely mounted before he took off, tearing through the forest at top speed away from the kingdom of the white wolves. I could never come back, and if I told anyone of where they were they would come after me and make me watch as they tore apart my kingdom soul by soul.

“Never lay a hand or eye on my people or my heir’s again.” She [the queen] had warned before I was banished, and I looked up one last time at the gleaming mountain and locked eyes with Eowyn, who lifted a hand in farewell and then she vanished, leaving me to continue my long passage back to Gondor.

Saphira’s POV

I gasped and sat up before recoiling at the sight of my skin. I was in my quarters, in my kingdom. But how? I looked around and pinched my good arm before wincing. It was real, I was alive!

I stumbled off the stretcher that I was apparently lying dead on and stumbled over to my bathroom splashing water on my face before realizing that I still had an open gash on my forearm.  Quickly I dunked my injury under the cold water before tightly securing it with a clean linen. It hurt badly but the injury faded and I was left with a faint scratch where my cut used to be when I felt the life and power returning to my body with a huge power surge that brought me to my knees of the cold ground. I let out a screech and clutched at my chest trying to minimize the pain as my power and strength returned to my frail body and then the door to my quarters were flung open and the queen flew in like a tornado.

My eyes locked with hers and she let out a long joyful howl before tackling me into a fury of wolf kisses. I laughed and my voice rang out throughout the castle and all at once Eowyn burst through the door and turned pale at the sight of me wrestling with the queen of the white wolves on the floor. I grinned at her before nudging the queen off of me.

“Eowyn! I’m back!” I screamed and launched myself into her arms where she broke down sobbing. I cried with her, just feeling amazing to be back and alive again. Never before I had I felt so alive, and in love.

“Where’s Legolas? I need to fix things between us. He visited me didn’t he? I felt his lips and I heard his voice.” I looked at both of them and the queen looked a bit guilty before Eowyn led me to the balcony and told me to search the view. I looked out, my elven gaze raking the landscape until I saw a huge army made up of both Gondor and Rohan riders heading out of their city and towards Mordor. The lands of the dark towered forebodingly over them as they boldly marched towards the black gates. My eyes widened as I saw a figure ride up to them and join their march. Legolas…no.

“I have to go.” I shoved off the balcony and ran to Eowyn who hung back a little before turning to the queen.

“I’m staying here to help the injured.” Eowyn stated and she walked out sadly looking at me before leaving me with the queen. I turned to the regal wolf before sighing.

“I suppose I have to stay and be a good princess I guess.” I sighed. I knew that she would not want me to go to war again, or lead my kingdom back into it. It was unwise to do such a thing, and I knew it.

“You must go and represent our people.” The queen’s voice startled me out of my thoughts and I turned towards her carefully as if I couldn’t belive that I was hearing her say this. I just came back from the dead and here she was letting me go back out into battle!

“What? You approve?” I questioned, feeling slightly overwhelmed by emotions. Did she care that I was dying and coming back to life anymore?

She let out a humourous chuckle before stretching her back legs out, her long claws gleaming under her padded front paws. I waited patiently for an answer whilst I removed my bloody battle gear and tried to clean my armor.

“I care about your life Saphira, but I also care for the outcome of this war. If the remaining fellowship has a plan then I suggest we get as many others as possible to follow in your leadership. But I do see that our army is not yet at its full potential yet, and I fear we will just have to let you go alone. This is your time to make things right, to become a true heir of the white wolves.” She spoke, and then with a knowing smile she left the room so I could decide.

I stood on the balcony looking out at the army that was a mere speck in the eyes of Mordor and Saurumon. They needed all the help that they could get. And I needed to make things right between me and Legolas; and save him from dying in that battle if it was even possible. I needed to go.

I threw open my backpack and revealed my armor and elven clothes. If I was going in there I was going in the only way I knew. In my elven clothes and armor with a few modifications. I dawned my black and blue tunic once more and pulled on my blue gauntlets before grabbing my chest armor. I fastened my elven stomach armor around my middle before securing it in place with a clasp near the back. I reached for my belt, but I remembered that I no longer had it. I regretted ever tearing it off when I fled from Helm’s Deep in the first place.

A knock on my door distracted me, and I opened it up to find the queen with a satchel on her side. She pushed it towards me before nodding at my other attire.

“Save that for some other adventure princess. Use my battle gear, it is still suitable and highly valued amongst many kingdoms next to mithril metal.” She pushed the package further into my hands before I closed the door. I stared at the satchel before opening it, and then I gasped. Armor and clothing alike, they were much more precious than mithril by far!

I dawned a dark blue corset with gray leggings before pulling on some black elvish crafted boots. I notched up the laces and tucked them in before I turned to the rest. A royal blue kirtle followed, and it was designed so beautifully with the most delicate stitches; I had no idea where she had gotten these! The designs woven into the fabric were flowery and so amazing that I could have worn it as a dress; it was that beautiful. The thread was pure gold, adding the status and color to the kirtle itself and made me feel very regal as I buttoned it up. Shame I was going to be covering it up soon with the rest of my armor. The surcoat was next, the same shade and hue as the kirtle, but it had a more sheen look too it and felt lighter and more battle ready. The queen might appear only regal but she was also a battle worn warrior.

I now wore light blue undersleeves and deep blue oversleeves, but I didn’t really pay much attention to it, seeing that my body armor would later cover that all up. Which brought me to my next armor piece; my stomach armor. I was used to just wearing the stomach corset, but now I ended up wearing a full top blue colored chest plate. Not to mention that I was going to wear yet another chest plate over that one. It felt really light though, you could barely feel the weight on your shoulders and breast. I was guessing the queen wore it for extra protection if she was stabbed near her heart or something, but I thought it was very clever.

I dawned a pair of dark blue finger gloves, and I flexed my fingers around to get used to the feel of the cool fabric against my flushed sweaty hands. It wasn’t normal to me but it felt very reassuring that I wouldn’t get sword blisters after this. Once again I pulled on my Rohan armor over my other clothes and strapped on my deep blue gauntlets securing it tight around my wrists. Almost done, I just needed my weapons and hair acessories now, hopefully that wasn’t that bad.

I stood in front of the mirror and braided back what was left of my hair. It was now cropped short and looked extremely strange lying flat on my neck so I put it in two short braids which I then fastened to the back of my head making little braided loops. Not too fancy yet not to plain. I took out my golden hair ribbon and tucked it in my pack which I would leave here; I didn’t need it. And I really didn’t want to lose it the same way I lost my belt. I fastened my Evenstar necklace around my neck and placed my golden crown on my head. I was ready to go; I just needed to get there.

I burst into the throne room and startled Eowyn, who was nervously pacing in front of the queen. She looked up quickly and then relaxed before running up to me.

“Oh Saphira you don’t have to go! Our point to your people has been proven, you don’t have to fight anymore!” she cried giving me a big hug.

“Oh Eowyn I know that you yearn to fight as well, but I know that you fear the same situation is going to come upon us again. And as for me leaving, I must. I always help my friends, even if it does not include my people anymore. I will represent my kingdom and go down if it is necessary.” I gave her a reassuring hug before bowing before the queen.

“My queen, I will need a mount to get me to the black gates of Mordor in a few hours time. I need to catch up to the armies of Gondor and Rohan. Where is Faelwen?”

“My child, Faelwen is resting. She too has wounds that she must heal from, but they will not kill her. For now you should ride on a horse.”

“But I have no horse.”

The queen only smiled and let out a low pitched howl that stirred up a clatter of hooves from a corridor behind her. Instantly a maginificent white mare burst forth into the room and reared up proudly before coming to a stop at my side.

“Shadowfax’s kin!” I murmured. I remembered riding her back to the Misty Mountains but I never remembered catching her name.

“What is your name proud one?” I asked stroking her mane, and she answered in my head.

“Silivrenniel. It means white in your elvish language.”

I stroked Silivrenniel’s mane before hoisting myself onto her back. “Run fast Silivrenniel. We must make for the black gates of Mordor.”

Silivrenniel charged out of the corridor and into the crystal caverns towards the forest and beyond. I turned and blew a kiss to the queen and Eowyn before calling out, “I’ll be back!” and then we burst into the forest.

Legolas’s POV

Aragon patted me softly on my shoulder as we rode to Mordor. We were going as a distraction so Frodo and Sam could destroy the ring. But to be honest I didn’t feel like fighting anymore. I know all my life I was one for adventure and traveling, never staying in one place for more than I had too. But when I met Saphira she redefined the word traveling, she would move around and disappear more that I could! Now though, she was dead, and all I could do was stare at her body until I was thrown out of her kingdom. Of course I didn’t tell Aragon that part or else he would have been compelled to ask me where she resided. I didn’t want my own people suffering for the mistakes that I made if I made them.

“You know Legolas, she didn’t die in vain.” Aragon softly spoke as we rode side by side on Arod and Bergo. I sighed and looked straight on at the mountains surrounding Mordor before looking back at him.

“She died protecting her people and Eowyn. I wasn’t part of the equation at all, I never got to tell her not to throw herself willingly out there but now I never can.”

Saphira’s POV

Silivrenniel stirred up the ground wherever her hooves touched as we whisked through the Fangorn forest. I didn’t see Oakwood anywhere, or maybe I did, I don’t know for sure because we were traveling so fast. Through the dead marshes we ran, and I could almost see the deceased in the water shaking their fists at us for ruining their peaceful sleep. We had just reached the crest overlooking the gates of Mordor when Silivrenniel stopped and made me dismount.

“This is as far as I dare go. Good luck on the battlefield Saphira. My blessing goes with you.” And then she tossed her mane and took off away from me and back towards the Misty Mountains dotting the landscape in the distance.

“Well, all I have to do is wait for the men to arrive I guess.” I sighed and climbed the rocky outcrop, hiding myself in a small-unoccupied cave with a good view so that I could witness the coming of the resistance.

It was nearly midday when I saw the first riders come in. I saw Aragon and Gimli, and Legolas! Oh my gosh I felt so lightheaded just watching him ride in. Don’t judge if I was basically drooling over him now, I really didn’t care about what his father would think or say about me; I just missed him so much! I fought the urge to run down there and throw myself into his arms. Focus Saphira, this was not the only thing you came here for.

I crept down from my ledge and slid my way among the back parts of their army. No one really paid much attention too me because not many looked back. Those who did see me didn’t recognize me because of my hair. I didn’t want anyone really noticing who I was so I had turned my hair white like Legolas’s hair and removed my crown for the meantime. I really didn’t want to attract attention; it would only distract people.

We milled around silently waiting as Aragon boldly called out the leaders of Mordor to speak with him. I couldn’t see what happened next because there were a lot of tall soldiers around me, but I guessed that from the sound of marching feet that followed that the meeting didn’t go very well. And here I was thinking that violence was never the answer.

I actually wasn’t ready for when our army charged, and I was left behind a bit just with a second late start. I felt the heat rise on my cheeks a bit and I was glad that no one was here to see that embarrassing moment.

“Princess Saphira of the White Wolves.” An age worn voice made me turn to my right and look up.

“Gandalf! You scared the living trees out of me!” I cried, and then laughed as he let loose a small smile.

“It’s good to see you’re not dead anymore. Legolas has had quite a hard time this entire trip to Mordor. Pity we can’t speak under better conditions.” He trailed off to slice an orcs head off. I nodded and sheepishly smiled before drawing my arrow and killing several orcs at once.

“It’s too bad indeed. I was hoping to get here on time but alas my mount brought me here a bit earlier than expected.”

Gandalf looked at me strangely and I felt compelled to explain. “Shadowfax’s kin Silivrenniel brought me here. That is why I arrived early, she traveled so fast that we lost track of time.”

Gandalf nodded and smiled. “Ah, Silivrenniel. Shadowfax always talked about his daughter; he has always been fond of her.”

I grinned and swung my bow around, breaking the neck of several more orcs around me. Gandalf nodded good day to me and soon vanished and I was left to my own defenses against the orcs. My aim was good though, and I hit every orc that tried to come up against me. I was just about to shoot another arrow when I bumped into something small and alive. I spun around and aimed down, but I stopped when I saw a hobbit standing there holding his sword at my leg.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

337K 9.4K 38
An Elleth named Alvena Baggins has grown up with Bilbo Baggins. Her whole life believing she was an unusual and strange Hobbit. Alvena is tired of th...
17.8K 892 27
***First in The Ghost Warrior Series*** Little Legolas and Thranduil are in Imladris for meetings to discuss the growing darkness in Middle-Earth. Wi...
186K 5.3K 29
Once there was a Hobbit who set out on a quest to reclaim the homeland of the Erebor Dwarves of old. Never did he know where his journey would take h...
445K 14.1K 65
Being a king is hard. Raising a son is hard. Living with eternal grief is hard. King Thranduil is just trying to keep his kingdom running and his son...