Difficult Tasks

Time skip>>>

            I watched as Raina played with Draugathiel in the courtyard near the gates of Eodoras. Saphira’s mount Silivrenniel had left days ago to try and locate Saphira; one didn’t need to communicate with her to know what she was doing. Eomer had become slightly more irritated when he was doing his patrols, and I knew he was secretly hoping that Saphira would finally cool off and come back. But I knew that Saphira really meant it this time; she wouldn’t be coming back even if her life depended on it.

            But, it led me to yet another problem. It seemed as possessed Raina had spoken, that Saphira was out there somewhere alone and dying from a broken heart and soul. Something that I knew I could fix, if she would only let me get close enough too her to do it.

            “Prince Legolas!” I turned my head just in time to see Raina haul herself up onto Draugathiel’s back and wave at me. She looked very proud of herself for getting up on the now three and a half foot tall filly, and I must admit that Draugathiel also seemed proud that she was able to carry her.

            “Look Prince Legolas I’m just like my mom!” she squealed and pretended to wield a bow and arrow as she shot at imaginary foes. I smiled a bit at her playfulness, but I inwardly frowned upon the idea of her being like her mother.

            “Saphira isn’t even your real mother.” I thought to myself and I shuddered slightly at the thought of her being alone and helpless right now. What if she was in trouble, or what if she was captured by orcs or what if…? I trailed out of my thoughts when I heard far away hoof beats on the ground. It must have been because of my elven ears because Raina and several servants around me didn’t hear a thing. I stood up and left the two to play and I walked over to the gates of Eodoras to greet Eomer as he returned from a patrol.

            After a few minutes his men rode in followed closely by him and he looked exhausted as he dismounted his horse. I took the reins of War Cry his mount and allowed Eomer to say hello to his daughter whom nearly strangled him in a huge hug.

            “Daddy you missed it! I was riding on Draugathiel’s back and fighting orcs just like mom!” she squealed, and I winced at the sound of Saphira’s title and I noticed that Eomer was looking off into the distance as if he were too troubled. Weariness built up inside me as I watched his gaze travel from the darkening sky to Raina who was looking at him expectantly. I knew that Eomer cared about her, but his mind was on something else.

            “That’s very nice Raina, but I would like to speak to Prince Legolas for a moment, can you take Draugathiel to the stables and play there? You can say hi to War Cry for me.” Eomer spoke tenderly to Raina, and she bought the lie and quickly left with the young filly to go to the stables. A few servants trailed behind them just to keep an eye on them, and together Eomer and I walked back up to the palace.

            “I worry about her, growing up without a mother and then getting a mother briefly, only to lose her and have but a foster father.” He told me as he leaned against the railing overlooking the city. I sighed and looked out into the distance at the forests of Mirkwood.

            “I worry as well; I do not want to return and find my father has been taken over by confusion and doubt for who I must be. But it is my duty to protect my people, so I feel compelled to go.” I spoke slowly as I tried to seem doubtful about the matter, but in truth I was panicked and worried for everyone in Mirkwood and my father. And what of my wife?

            “What about your wife? Princess Vanya was it? What is she to do when she returns from her visit to Lorien and find that the kingdom has fallen?” Eomer brought up yet another good reason why I shouldn’t stay here, and I nodded bleakly.