Shocker

Legolas’s POV

            I am panicking so badly right now. The wedding between Princess Vanya and me is happening in less than a week, we have stalled for three months now and my father is impatient and has finally declared we are to be wed tomorrow evening.

            I can’t believe my father wants me to marry a pureblooded elven so bad when he knows I am hopelessly in love with Princess Saphira! She’s the most wonderful and amazing princess that could come into this world and she ruled with kindness and showed her kingdom compassion.

            None of that was shown here, not anymore. But if I am to become king soon, I will change all of that and make this a kingdom I would be proud of. My father has made Mirkwood actually live up to its name; it was hard to tell that it was once the magnificent kingdom of Greenwood.

            A knock at my door made me turn and quickly tense up as I see my father walk in with his annoying walk and posture. I turned away and quickly pretended to not listen too him as he leaned up against my bedpost and stare at me.

            “My son, I know that you are going to be married tomorrow, and I just want you to know how proud I am of you for making this happen. You have been patient and tender to Vanya and I assure you that this will be an unforgettable wedding of all elven status. We will be remembered for years to come.”

            I rolled my eyes and brought my gaze over to the outfit that was designed for me. I was to wear it when I was getting married; it had been my father’s outfit when he had married my mother. But now, it felt less special because I didn’t want it yet, and it seemed very daunting and scary now that I laid my eyes upon the design and elegance of it all. What was I too do?

            Saphira’s POV

            Legolas was getting married tomorrow and I was attending his wedding with Eomer. Tears rushed freely down my face as I sat on the steps of Eodoras looking out towards the path I would be traveling all night to reach the one place I was banished from. My Legolas, my elven prince was going to start a new life with another princess of pure elven blood unlike me. I cursed myself for being half human and half hybrid or else maybe Thranduil would have accepted me easier.

            Eomer had given me a few bolts of fabric over three months ago so I could make my attire for the wedding, and I had basically stayed up every night for nearly three months straight designing and sewing together my robes for the fateful wedding. I stared at my hands and looked at the thin gold ring that Eowyn had given me before the Helm’s Deep party. I hadn’t really thought about it for quite some time now, it was just there as another memory of a place that I had been forced to leave. Tears came more readily now as I thought about Legolas’s face when we had embraced after the battle of Mordor and how happy and lighthearted I had felt being in his arms and pressing my lips against his. I should be the one up there with Legolas with all my friends attending the wedding, not watching him get sold off to another princess who he barely even knew! I shouldn’t be sitting in the crowd watching him kiss another elf; I should be the one that he was going to kiss! My cheeks heated up just thinking about it and I fought all the urges in the world to run all the way to Mirkwood and beat up Thranduil and then embrace Legolas another time, but I really couldn’t think about it anymore and I had to stand up and dry my face because Eomer was walking up to me holding something wrapped in a cloth.

            “Hey Eomer.” I spoke whilst turned away from him, not wanting him to see my anguished tears. Legolas, my Legolas was going to start his married life and leave me behind broken hearted with no heart left what so ever.

            A reassuring hand rubbed my back soothingly and I turned finally and Eomer stared at me deep into my eyes, both our brown orbs mixing. He tilted my chin up so he could look at my sad eyes and my sullen expression and he wrapped his arms around me comfortingly before kissing my forehead softly. I buried my face into his chest and wept, knowing he would know how I felt already.

            “Shh, Saphira it’s okay. Everything will work out fine, don’t cry. I hate to see you like this, look at me please.”

            I brought my eyes up slowly and I nearly fainted looking at his serious face. His eyes betrayed no emotion as he caressed my cheek gently, and with a tender hand cupping my face he brought his face down and kissed me. But to my apparent shock, I kissed back.

            Eomer’s POV

            Oh my gosh I just kissed Legolas’s ex girlfriend. This was not really supposed to happen but I couldn’t help myself, she was so darn beautiful and her tears finally did it for me. I just had to kiss her once, and I was lost in her scent and power as our lips connected.

            Saphira’s POV

            I reached up and tangled my hand in Eomer’s hair making him groan as I pulled it slightly. I would have pulled my hand back but I was a bit preoccupied with just getting lost in my own little world. When we finally pulled apart Eomer looked so lightheaded and happy, and I myself couldn’t stop from blushing and grinning like mad. He bent down and grabbed the item that he had been holding before and handed it to me before looking away quickly.

            “I wanted to give you this, I know it’s early and everything and you’re still in love with Legolas, but I really wanted to give this too you.” He stuttered as I unwrapped the package to find a beautiful crown adorned with precious gems and silver designs. I held it up to the light and marveled at its beauty as it sparkled every which way.

            “Oh Eomer it’s beautiful!” I exclaimed running my hands over the designs with as much tenderness as I could muster. It was a true work of art; but what was it for?

            Eomer seemed to guess my question and he looked nervous before running his hands through his long hair making me want to kiss him again, “Well, I…I wanted to know if you would become my queen?” he blurted out and I stepped back and tripped, almost falling before he caught me quickly. I stood up embarrassed before straightening out my outfit and placing the crown delicately back in the cloth before thinking.

            Legolas was getting married tomorrow and I was going to be left behind. But what if he does something like ditch the wedding or fall sick and then be unfit to rule? I could be with him then too! I felt so torn, I knew it was wrong to kiss Eomer back but I couldn’t stop myself. I didn’t know what to do anymore.

            “Eomer…I really like you as a good friend, but I really don’t know what to say to this. This is a great honor to be asked by you to become your wife, but I really don’t know what to do, can I think about this? Just for now at least?”

            Eomer smiled understandingly before kissing my hand and looking deep into my eyes.

            “As long as you want, I’m willing to wait.”