Truth Be Told

• Dedicated to Cade

Legolas’s POV

            I jumped out the window after them as soon as I finished off a few more orcs that charged me. I ran as fast as I could to find the woman and what looked like to be a child. Looking around frantically I caught sight of the woman fighting on the roof with a few orcs and my first thought was, “How the heck did they get up there?” and then I launched myself off the side wall and flipped onto the roof to join her. She didn’t look happy to see me but she stayed silent as I helped her finish off the other orcs that had managed to get up alongside us. She watched my back as I jumped off the roof and I watched hers in return as she catapulted off the side and back flipped onto the back of an unsuspecting warg; its back was broken instantly. I fired round after round of arrows as I fought to keep her in my sights, even though I had no idea why I was following her around. It was just a woman, I’m sure that there were more of them around somewhere.

            Suddenly I spotted Eomer near the side of the palace getting thrown off of his horse by a furious warg with its orc rider. His horse fled leaving him lying on the ground winded. I began to sprint towards him, but at the last minute something flew past me and struck the orc and its mount straight in the side and they both went flying away from King Eomer. I turned around and I barely got a glimpse of the woman shooting past me brandishing a staff that glowed red with embers of a fire. She stood in front of Eomer and raised her staff at the wounded orc and warg as if she was trying to taunt them.

            “Come on you stupid creatures is that all you’ve got? I’ve seen better!” she bragged and the infuriated orc and warg launched themselves at her and before I could move a muscle she raised her staff and yelled, “Tolo anin naur!” [Come near the fire!] And she shot out a bright blast of fire that engulfed the two devils encasing them in instants. Their pained howls and cries reached my ears and I thought that they got what they deserved as I ran off to help King Eomer up. He was slowly coming back to his senses and he looked at me before his eyes widened disbelievingly.

            “Prince Legolas!” he stuttered and he gripped my arm tightly and I winced slightly.

            “King Eomer, how nice to see you! Well, I was hoping to visit under better circumstances at least.” I smiled at my own joke but Eomer didn’t seem to share in my small attempt to lighten the situation. Suddenly a guard ran in from behind me and quickly spoke, “My king, the orcs are retreating! We have won!”

            Eomer’s POV

            Why the heck was the elf here! He wasn’t supposed to be here, he wasn’t supposed to be even let out of his kingdom! I almost snapped at him but I only managed to address him before a soldier informed me that we had won over the orcs and they were retreating rapidly.

            I pushed Legolas aside and told the guard, “Remove all the carcasses of the enemy and burn them outside in two piles. That will serve as a reminder for the orcs never to attack Rohan ever again.”

            “My king, what about the people?”

            “They have fled to Helm’s Deep, we will let them stay there until we can send some guards later to return them here.” I stated and I felt Legolas’s eyes on me confused the entire time I was addressing the guard. The soldier nodded and ran off, and within moments everyone available was helping to clean up after the attack. Then I turned back to the prince and glared at him angrily.