Battle of Minias Tirith

Saphira’s POV

            My feet had yet to start aching as we descended the mountains of our home and out into the forest below. Our journey to Gondor’s aid had just begun, and many wolves were already aching to throw themselves out onto the battlefield willingly to fight for the safety of the ones they loved. Eowyn and I walked beside them at the front, leading them through the dense underbrush that had been parted for us already probably a good six hours ahead of us. A bunch of stamped out fires and a trampled banner gave me good reason to believe that Rohan had passed through here recently, which was a good sign. The sky above was darkening unnaturally; I could feel Saruon’s power stirring it up deviously as we hurried though the forest towards Minias Tirith the city of Gondor. I hope we weren’t too late.

            Eomer’s POV

            The sheer numbers of orcs that gathered outside the gates of Minias Tirith were overwhelming just to watch. Even if we had surrounded them from all sides we were still too few and not enough to beat them fully. I witnessed the burning of Minias Tirith as the orcs had started to breach the city. My eyes could not behold all of this, and I turned away fully to catch my uneven breaths. My uncle rode alongside me shouting orders at his men, and I wished not to go into battle but to see Eowyn and Saphira one last time before I surely perished. My heart went out to both of them, and I didn’t want to let them down without saying goodbye. This was for them; today I fought for the ones I loved.

            Saphira’s POV

            We arrived at the crest of the last hill that overlooked Minias Tirith just in time to see the men of Rohan charge down in layers upon layers and throw themselves mercilessly upon the orcs of Mordor. None of the men saw us behind them, for now. I breathed in and out as I looked to my right. Eowyn stood tall and proud as she walked over to her position on the right flank. She was going to direct her squadron of wolves towards the lands of Mordor, where they would cut off and hold the orcs captive surrounding the city of Gondor. I walked over to the left and nodded briefly at Eowyn. We avoided saying goodbye to each other; we knew that we would be together again soon enough.

            I would lead my section of my military from the river flanking Gondor up to the battlefields where we would cut off the orcs and trap them on the mainland. I suspected that there would be some orcs near the water waiting for more of their kind to enter the battle zone, but I didn’t worry too much about them as we skirted the outskirts of the river out of sight. They were too preoccupied with their own business; we had our own duties to stick too. I didn’t even need to rally my troops as we neared the top of the rise. They were motivated all on their own now, by the love that they felt for their kin and their princess. They were truly subjects that were loyal down to the last inch of their tails.

            I lifted my head up as we neared the crest, and I let out a long howl that echoed throughout the battle cries and stopped every man of Rohan and orc of Mordor in their tracks. They looked up to the cliffs fearfully, and right on cue I led my army up the ridge and into the view of both human and orc, the first that they had seen of us in more than a hundred thousand years. Eowyn stood at the head of her armada on the opposite side of the hills, and now we were all spread out surrounding the battle scene, our numbers tough and strong. Her hair was tucked in and she looked unrecognizable and surprisingly she looked like a man with her wolvian (my race) helmet covering her head. We had wit and determination, but most of all we had love. Our love was what bonded us together to fight side by side for those who we cared about, and unlike the men and orcs we allowed the she wolves of our kind to join the battle not because they had too, but because they chose too. We were among the first to allow women into battle alongside the men, and that was the way we worked.