Race to Helm's Deep

Saphira’s POV

When I entered the dinning room I went unnoticed by most men, who were to busy stuffing their faces with food. I walked past a table where a dwarf was stuffing his face with salted pork and I laughed softly before moving on. I wasn’t at all really that hungry, I just needed to talk to Theoden. But, just in case I needed something later I grabbed an apple from the nearest table and tucked it away in my side bag.

Theoden was dinning with some men in the corner of the room. He waved me over as he spotted me and I smiled and flounced over. Many of the men stared at me as I took a seat and took a bite into my apple.

“Morning my king!” I chirped, feeling a bit giddy from everything.

Theoden smiled and replied, “A very good morning to you too Saphira.”

I laughed and then got straight to business. “I’m leaving today right before the fellowship does. I understand that you are all headed to Helm’s Deep to protect your people and I think that now that I have delivered my message to you I will take my leave.”

Theoden nodded understandingly before giving me a light smile. I patted his shoulder as I rose and grabbed another apple before I left.

“Best of luck to you that you reach the fortress in time my lord.” I called to him as I walked away.

Legolas’s POV

We were all saddling up for the long ride to Helm’s Deep. All the residents in the kingdom of Eodoras were weary as they set out ahead of us with a group of soldiers to flank them. I mounted Arod and helped Gimli swing up. It had actually been very hard for the dwarf to be pulled away from his eating but we had to move on before the Uruk hai found us. I myself was a bit disappointed in not being able to find the girl that I had been so sure I had met last night, but there were more important things to attend too.

Aragon mounted and rode out soon after the first group of peasants and Arod followed them closely. Gandalf had left us to go find Eomer; he still believed that King Theoden should stay and fight. I believed the same too, he was a coward for not standing up to fight. But this was the choice he made and we all had to respect that. This was going to be a long journey to Helm’s Deep, and I wasn’t sure if I could wait that long to see if the girl I had found was still among us.

Saphira’s POV

I waited till everyone was distracted till I slipped out of the door. I made my way through the streets of Eodoras before running out the gates and onto the plains of Rohan once more. I stood there for a little while before calling out, “Tula sinome Faelwen!” [Come here Faelwen]

Almost instantly I saw a dark shadow pass overhead and with a quick blast of cold air my Nazgul was towering over me. She had grown a bit, probably a few inches taller but she was just as sweet as ever.

“My rider, I am here for you.” Her melodic voice flew through my head and made me laugh and give her scaly neck a hug.

“  Lle maa quell for a Nazgul.” I laughed as I said the last part in Western. [You look good for a Nazgul]

I mounted Faelwen and commanded her in Western now. “We ride to follow Gandalf’s path, we will meet up with him and help find the riders of Rohan!”

Faelwen gave a snort of glee and she spread her wings before shooting up into the sky and finally out of view. I looked down at Eodoras below, watching it fade into the clouds before turning away. Did Legolas wake up okay? What did he want with me?

Legolas’s POV

            Aragon was hanging behind watching Eowyn as she chatted with Gimli. Everyone seemed to have small smiles as they walked, trying to keep their hopes up. I decided to scout ahead and keep a look out so I rode to the very front of the line and looked around. There was nothing out of order, wait, what was that?

I looked closer at an incoming dot and straightened up in alarm. There was a warg coming at us! Actually, multiple wargs headed our way with Uruk hai riding them! I let out a yell and got Theoden’s attention.

“My king there are wargs and orcs headed our way! We must protect your people!”

Theoden hastily followed my orders and soon the women and children along with the elderly men were sent with Eowyn to finish the journey to Helm’s Deep while we created a diversion.

Saphira’s POV

I found Gandalf easily; I mean who else would be riding the lord of all horses Shadowfax? Gandalf seemed relieved to see that I wasn’t the Witch King or anything but Shadowfax seemed a bit on edge as he eyed Faelwen nervously. Faelwen chose to stay quiet, which was good because speaking would probably make us all deaf in no time. I told him I was going to help him search for Eomer, but he waved me away, saying that I had to protect the fellowship. I was surprised, why was I supposed to protect them?

“Gandalf, they are headed to safety right now. Surely they don’t need my help?” I protested, but Gandalf just lifted his staff and a vision filled my head. Wargs, twenty or more with ugly orcs on their backs. Their sights were on a group of people, the people of Rohan! I gasped and looked deeper, and I saw the dwarf from earlier, king Theoden, and of course Legolas. He was standing tall as he watched the orcs come from the ridge, but his eyes were troubled. And I wasn’t sure if it was from the incoming danger, or something else.

“You must go and protect the people of Rohan and the remaining fellowship. They are the last hope for these people. Keep Aragon safe too, he needs to be alive to rule the kingdom of men.”

I shook my head in shock. Aragon? I knew him from when I was younger! He was half elf and half human like me, only he had two normal ears while I had different ears. I didn’t know he was royalty! Quickly I mounted Faelwen and urged her to take to the sky. I threw open my pack and fastened my chest and stomach armor while we rode, and I did my best to not fall off in the process. Faelwen sensed that we were in a hurry and she flew as fast as she could against the wind.

“Hurry my Nazgul, is that the best you got?” I taunted her, only because I knew that she could do better. Faelwen seemed to get the idea, and she flew harder than she ever had before to reach the fellowship and people of Rohan.

Legolas’s POV

The men of Rohan that had decided to stay and fight fought bravely, but their efforts were in vain. There was no hope of bringing down all of the wargs and their riders, there were just too many.

A warg attacked me from my right and I drove my arrow into its throat and swung myself around to kick the rider off. The orc wailed as it fell and I drove my dagger through its chest before I finished off the dying warg.

Gimli rode past on Arod, and he looked petrified at having to ride him alone, so I sprinted after him and swung myself onto the back of Arod too, only to earn a “humph” from Gimli. Had we been in a safer situation I would have let out a small remark, but now was not a good time to do anything of the sort.

Suddenly a warg tackled Gimli, and he was gone, just like that from Arod’s back to the ground.

“Gimli!” I yelled and forcefully turned Arod around before I myself was roughly thrown off Arod. I landed hard on my arm and I instantly felt a sharp pain shoot up my side. I turned my gaze upwards, and I caught a glimpse of Arod running away towards Gimli while I was left on the ground with a large ugly orc towering over me.

“Little elfling is going to die!” it taunted, and that voice made my blood boil just listening too it. I raised my bow and shot an arrow at it but the uruk hai just laughed and kicked my weapon away. I drew my dagger too, but it was really no match for the blade that the uruk hai was equipped with. So this was the end of me…I had never feared dying. His blade descended upon me and I feebly rolled to the side and slashed out with my dagger. Our blades both met flesh, his hitting a small area of my arm and mine embedded deep into his arm. But the sudden movement made me dizzy and I couldn’t compose myself to lift my arm and deflect the death blow that was headed straight for my chest…now I was going to die.